Noob solver question: dont understand this play (1 Viewer)

boltonguy

Flush
Reaction score
I'm playing PokerSnowie in training mode and using the solver to study interesting spots. In this spot I am trying to understand why the solver flats instead of raising.

For example:
6-max training, folds to Hero in HJ with :jd::js:. Hero opens to 1/2 pot (standard Snowie HJ RFI sizing).
Folds to BB who calls.
Flop comes :jc::7s::5d:. BB checks, Hero bets 1/3 pot (solver bets 3/4 pot 60%, 1/3 pot 26%). I bet smaller thinking that although 7x & 5x and OESDs are in V's BB range its hard for him to have a strong hand here to call a 3/4 pot bet. Likelihood of 55 and 77 is low given width of BB calling range IMHO.
Villain raises to 2x pot.

I think I should re-raise here. V is very polarized: either bluffing with some sort of straight draw or has an overpair or middle/bottom set.
Snowie is perfectly balanced in all spots as a GTO bot (turns out Snowie was bluffing).
If V is bluffing and I call, I dont think more money is going into the pot; V probably wont call a turn bet unless his draw comes in. Plus a call lets V continue drawing.
If V is strong and I raise, V will likely call with a hand I am ahead of with very few outs to improve. V wont call with a draw but would possibly call with AA or 77.

Solver has JJ calling the X/R at 100%. I think JJ should raise - what do you guys think?
Or is there some way to input my exact hand, removing JJ from V's flop X/R range?

1614360972958.png

Last edited:
Probably to do with keeping the hero's range balance. What bluffs does hero raise here to balance value? If you look at it, hero has no raises here. If villain is strong, you are going to get the money anyway. If villain is bluffing then you have to at least give them the chance to continue doing so.

When you say: "If V is bluffing and I call, I dont think more money is going into the pot..." why? I think this is exactly why Snowie smooth calls here because villain continuing an aggressive bluff heavy line is *exactly* the way to get more $ in the pot.

If you raise vs. a bluff, the hand is over. If you raise vs villains A7 or A5, the hand is likely over too. Why not keep that entire range in on this flop where villain is drawing either dead or close to dead?

Well it's a 2x pot raise so I'm thinking V is giving up if I call.
Pot is $2.51, hero bets $0.84 and V raises to $5.03. If I'm calling, I have to be wicked strong to call.

I did call based on the solver, turn was :ks:.
Snowie checked, I bet pot thinking if he was strong only move was to bet pot (GTO approved) and Snowie folded.

Yeah I mean at the end of the day, if you are strong and villain has air, you generally aren't winning much. Long term however, the *best* way to win $ is to flat the flop bet it seems (obviously according to Snowie). Having villain attempt to bluff you off of AA/KK/QQ/AJ/KJ/QJ/JT/TT/99 is our only hope for a bigger pot. Raise/give up will be a lot of lines from a bluffing villain.

Makes sense - keep him bluffing if he is insane!! :)
Appreciate the insight. Thx for your input. Trying to back into the logic underlying the solver output has been interesting.

Yep. I think I flat here too. If villain has air and can't call much on the turn, he's certainly not putting more in to your 3-bet. Best way to continue building the pot at this point is to let him do it.

Another way to look at it is to think about what hero will do with the other hands hero calls with. If hero 3-bets sets, then hero's call range becomes almost entirely Jx and pocket pairs. Villain can barrel relentlessly versus such a range with few nutted combos, which forces hero to call down with weaker holdings. By calling with strong hands, you protect the medium strength hands in your range from facing as many additional bets.

@liamj interesting so your comments are less about the specific hand we are playing right now but what our choice means with respect to how we are playing our range on future hands against V as a result and how he can exploit us. That is interesting - I havent really been thinking about that. Appreciate the feedback.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom