Noob - Buying a set of Chips for 6-8 players (colorblind friendly!) need advice (1 Viewer)

Mag1c

Waiting List
Reaction score
Hi All - noob here and I'm looking to purchase a small set of chips for a 6 player tourneys we will be doing. I would like enough chips to expand to possibly 8 players as well.

Probably will be a $20-30 cash buy in, and we will want blinds to continually increase to keep the game moving fairly quickly.

I really like the apache royals but my issue is that I am colorblind and I'd like to avoid having both a green and yellow chip, so I'm trying to figure out how to do the breakdown for my set.

I was going to do a breakdown of:

100 x T25
100 x T100
25 x T500
75 x T1000
25 x T5000

Which would allow for a 8/8/4/2 t5000 SS with 6 players as well as 12/12/3/7 t10000 SS with 8 players (shoutout to user BGinGA for this information)

However, I am looking for some help for alternative breakdowns that negate the 25 denomination so that way I don't have a green/yellow chip.

Thanks so much!

10/4/7/1 would work for 15K
I guess you could also do 10/6/6 for a 10K, but then you're only starting 100bb deep, so you might want to lengthen the levels or increase the blind levels more slowly.
The problem when you eliminate the T25 chip and run a base T100 is that if you want deep stacks, and you want to get there with a T5K chip, you need to make sure you have enough 1K chips on the table, and I think 7 is the fewest I'd go with, per starting stack.

Hi @Mag1c . I have had a few color blind players in our games, and the biggest attributes they've mentioned to me are unique edge spots and large denoms. For myself, I'm partially red/green colorblind, and agree with that sentiment. In my case, I really detest having certain shades of blue, purple, and black chips on the table together if there isn't an easy way to distinguish them. Blue and purple are essentially the same to me, and if they are dark enough, I can't distinguish them from black.

In the case of the Royals, the different spot patterns and large denom for the Royals should assist in differentiating them. I did take a look at the sample picture from Apache through the monochrome simulator at https://www.color-blindness.com/coblis-color-blindness-simulator/, and it's one of the better sets in this regard. If I was in the market, they'd be near the top of my list.

Do you have a sample in hand to see the difference between the $25 and $1000 chips first-hand?

Hi @Mag1c . I have had a few color blind players in our games, and the biggest attributes they've mentioned to me are unique edge spots and large denoms. For myself, I'm partially red/green colorblind, and agree with that sentiment. In my case, I really detest having certain shades of blue, purple, and black chips on the table together if there isn't an easy way to distinguish them. Blue and purple are essentially the same to me, and if they are dark enough, I can't distinguish them from black.

In the case of the Royals, the different spot patterns and large denom for the Royals should assist in differentiating them. I did take a look at the sample picture from Apache through the monochrome simulator at https://www.color-blindness.com/coblis-color-blindness-simulator/, and it's one of the better sets in this regard. If I was in the market, they'd be near the top of my list.

Do you have a sample in hand to see the difference between the $25 and $1000 chips first-hand?
Funny you mention that, I am too red/green colorblind so dark blues/purples are easily confused for me and thus I wanted to just avoid a yellow/green for similar reasons haha.

I will take you at your word, I do think the denoms on the chips will help no doubt.

As far as the amount of chips I need for 6-8 players, do you think the breakdown I posted was enough or too much?

Thank you!

If you're worried about green and yellow chips at the same time, then maybe consider getting rid of the green T25s and start with base T100.

I think the breakdowns posted work fine as posted for a freezeout (no rebuys), but you are short T500 chips for 8 players in a 5K starting stack with the breakdown you posted. You could use 8/8/2/3, but it may seem like a small number of chips. I know I prefer T10K or higher myself if T25 is the lowest denomination.

If you have rebuys, I'd add additional T1000 / T5000 chips. For the type of chips you are looking at, you would likely have to purchase in increments of 25, so 25 more of each would make sense.

I also agree with @upNdown on the T100 base set. Having additional T1000 and T5000 chips would also not hurt in that case.

10/4/7/1 would work for 15K
I guess you could also do 10/6/6 for a 10K, but then you're only starting 100bb deep, so you might want to lengthen the levels or increase the blind levels more slowly.
The problem when you eliminate the T25 chip and run a base T100 is that if you want deep stacks, and you want to get there with a T5K chip, you need to make sure you have enough 1K chips on the table, and I think 7 is the fewest I'd go with, per starting stack.
for the following denoms what quantities of chips would you suggest? Games will likely be only 6 players for at least a few months so the need to be scalable to 8 players isn't SUPER significant at this point in time I just wanted the option I suppose and I can always purchase more chips later.
$100
$500
$1000
$5000

for the following denoms what quantities of chips would you suggest? Games will likely be only 6 players for at least a few months so the need to be scalable to 8 players isn't SUPER significant at this point in time I just wanted the option I suppose and I can always purchase more chips later.
$100
$500
$1000
$5000
I’d figure out what I’d want my starting stacks to be (and any potential re-buys and adding) and work from there.
So I’d go 100/50/75/25. And if I were going to increase any denomination, to keep numbers round, I’d be looking at the thousands.

I’d figure out what I’d want my starting stacks to be (and any potential re-buys and adding) and work from there.
So I’d go 100/50/75/25. And if I were going to increase any denomination, to keep numbers round, I’d be looking at the thousands.
Thanks for the help everyone!

I decided to go with a set of 300 of the Royals with a t20000 SS 10/6/11/1.
100 x T100
25 x T500
100 x T1000
25 x T5000

Thanks for the help everyone!

I decided to go with a set of 300 of the Royals with a t20000 SS 10/6/11/1.
100 x T100
25 x T500
100 x T1000
25 x T5000
You don't have enough 500s for those stacks

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom