None of you are this cool on Christmas eve (1 Viewer)

Psypher1000

Straight Flush
Reaction score
My friend is down on a base in Antarctica providing counseling for victims of sex abuse and other such crimes. After her day ends she went to the bar and has herself a pour of scotch.

320930287_716514723374584_3686622760321693123_n.jpg

Now the scotch here is nothing special, nor is the glass. What makes this ridiculous is the rock. That ice is around 500,000 years old by best estimations. It was left over from ice dug up from the depths for a study and after the analysis is complete they had some left over. Being remote as they are those folks try to leave nothing to waste, including ice (which, I mean...just walk the fuck outside, right?). But yeah...500,000 years old. She said it pops and crackles as it melts & the air bubbles are vented. So yeah, you may be cool...but are you "chillin' in Antarctica with a pour of scotch on the 500,000 year old rocks" cool?

Doubtful. Very doubtful.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Oh, heck no...it's her down there, not me. And I'm sure they have zombie outbreaks down there all the time. They just have all the outgoing jets go through a strict de-zombieing regmien before takeoff so nothing ever hits warmer weather.

Very cool Scott! A lot of that ice makes it’s way back to a lab at my institute :cool don’t think we get to drink it though ;)
Merry Christmas to you too :tup:

My friend is down on a base in Antarctica providing counseling for victims of sex abuse and other such crimes. After her day ends she went to the bar and has herself a pour of scotch.

Now the scotch here is nothing special, nor is the glass. What makes this ridiculous is the rock. That ice is around 500,000 years old by best estimations. It was left over from ice dug up from the depths for a study and after the analysis is complete they had some left over. Being remote as they are those folks try to leave nothing to waste, including ice (which, I mean...just walk the fuck outside, right?). But yeah...500,000 years old. She said it pops and crackles as it melts & the air bubbles are vented. So yeah, you may be cool...but are you "chillin' in Antarctica with a pour of scotch on the 500,000 year old rocks" cool?

Doubtful. Very doubtful.

I'm a "neat" kind of guy lol

Crazy. Just read an article on this. Hope everyone has a happy and healthy one!

I have something cooler.

It’s a chip bag from the Las Vegas Poker Club. Very posh place to play back in the day. Also a chip commemorating the time I had Bullets there. The owner of the Poker Club said he’d never seen someone felt Bullets before. Bullets is a Pair Of Aces for those of you who aren’t up on your poker vernacular.

5A93E101-62C2-46C3-9559-29E466E56F33.jpeg

I have something cooler.

It’s a chip bag from the Las Vegas Poker Club. Very posh place to play back in the day. Also a chip commemorating the time I had Bullets there. The owner of the Poker Club said he’d never seen someone felt Bullets before. Bullets is a Pair Of Aces for those of you who aren’t up on your poker vernacular.

View attachment 1047157
You had a pair of aces for your hole cards? Is that even legal in Las Vegas??

Very cool (to say the least).
Some questions:
Did the day really end?
How much sex abuse and other crimes are in Antarctica to warrant her visit?
Why did she need the Scotch after the interviews? Oh, never mind that: who doesn't need scotch?
Before use, was the 500,000 year old ice tested for anything unusual?
d4eg8db-c44acc3b-5522-49c7-84ab-c335d13df7a8.jpg

Very cool (to say the least).
Some questions:
Did the day really end?
How much sex abuse and other crimes are in Antarctica to warrant her visit?
Why did she need the Scotch after the interviews? Oh, never mind that: who doesn't need scotch?
Before use, was the 500,000 year old ice tested for anything unusual?
d4eg8db-c44acc3b-5522-49c7-84ab-c335d13df7a8.jpg
They're not at the south pole - it's actually quite a distance away - and it's not the solstice, so yes, the day (as I suspect you're referring to it) did eventually end.

The consumption occurred *after* the lab analysis was done, so yes...all good there.

As for the volume of abuse...well, that's the sad part now isn't it. She can't get into details for obvious reasons, but my understanding is that they have a counselor or therapist there for such things year round if at all possible. The volunteers get flown into Christchurch, New Zealand business class/first class, because the final 7.5 hr jaunt to Antarctica is via military C-130 equipped with skis to land on the ice, followed by another hour ride in a trailer pulled by a snow tractor.

Doubtful. Very doubtful.

@NotRealNameNoSir did this with monotonous regularity, I believe. I agree it’s pretty darn cool. But, I suppose when it’s what you use every night…

is that a huge issue in Antarctica?
not huge but some of our bases are up to 1000 people and have weird power dynamics; its isolated and people are people. Definitely not a safe space from these types of events. Lots of field work and alone time where things can go wrong, plus the contractor/support side of things was and still is a boys club so harassment happens, unfortunately.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom