Non-Standard Blinds (1 Viewer)

Davism72

Flush
Reaction score
Anybody here play any strange blind structures? BB ante? Three-blind games?

Just trying to do some research. I've heard of these structures, but I've never played anything but standard SB/BB games. Are there setups even more exotic that I just don't know about?

we usually start our game with 0.25/0.25 and later in the evening, we implement a mandatory utg straddle of 0.50
it works pretty well

those blinds makes the game a bit more aggressive than a regular sb/bb setup

We once played Kansas City Lowball and used a single blind.
We were trying to be “old school”. Possibly because I was reading Doyle Brunson’s autobiography at the time.

One guy said the game didn’t make him feel old-school, it just made him feel old. Everyone else thought it was fun, though.

Anybody here play any strange blind structures? BB ante? Three-blind games?

Just trying to do some research. I've heard of these structures, but I've never played anything but standard SB/BB games. Are there setups even more exotic that I just don't know about?
I have run NLHE antes-only tournaments in the past (both individually-posted and table ante versions). No forced blinds whatsoever.

I have run NLHE antes-only tournaments in the past (both individually-posted and table ante versions). No forced blinds whatsoever.
With the ante dead money already in the pot, does it play about the same as a structure with blinds?

Yes and no. Initially players wanted to limp in, but the stronger players caught on quickly and started making them pay if in early position. Position plays a larger role, since the button is always last to act.

The table ante version wasn't very popular (and not influenced by me, either -- this was several years ago, long before it was ever tried in mainstream events). Button ante was the only position that made sense, and it gave the button too much power imo.

Otherwise, it progresses about the same as a blinds event time-wise.

I have been thinking about this the last few weeks. My crew use to play 10¢/20¢ blinds pot limit hold’em. I got rid of my 10¢ chips, so I see 3 choices for us now. Please help me decide which is better, and why.

Edit: This is for $20 buy-in where only half the players usually re-buy.

1. 25¢/25¢ blinds - not much different than what we were playing.

2. single 25¢ blind after the button.

3. single 25¢ blind on the button.

Last edited:
Sorry if this is a hijack. Just curious about others thoughts on strategy and unconventional blinds.

I started watching the WSOP Main Event in the early 2000's. My cousin's buddy introduced the game to him in 2007 while on leave from Iraq. None of us were deeply familiar with hold-em. He encouraged his circle of friends and co-workers to invite people they knew to his house for a game. Initially, we played a weekly winner take all $10 tournament for $20 in chips. Thus, each player received 40 big blinds.

We typically had around around a dozen players on two tables. The game evolved due to the increasing number of re-buys and the duration it took to complete. He doubled the blinds for every two players eliminated, from .25/.50 to $.50/$1, $1/$2, $2/$4, to a cap of $3/$6, which he later changed to $4/$8. (Side note: We thought we were high rollers playing $4/$8.):LOL: :laugh: You could re-buy-in without penalty until the final table, at which point you had to pay the full $20 for 10BB's.

Eddie was the scrub donkey in our group. He would keep buying in after the blinds hit $2/$4.

My cousin later modified the pay-out structure to include $50 for second place. First, normally paid around $300. Not too shabby of a pay-out for the winner.

He did this for several months before nixing the tournament format in favor of cash. The tournament was becoming a little too bit chaotic and some of the players who ran deep felt sour or grew tired of going home empty. The popularity of the game exploded. My cousin ran two full tables twice a week for two years. Fixed buy-in/re-buys of $20. There would be around $650 on each of the tables mid way through the night. Not all of the winning players would stay for the final table. They preferred cashing out ahead instead of putting the money they had won at risk against a tougher field. I remember thinking how $900 was a lot of money for a single table.:D We had evenings where we were playing .50/.50 four handed with average chip stacks in excess of 400BB's. Sometimes we would get rid of the fracs and play $1/$1.

I can still recall the electric feeling I would get stepping into the room and hearing the hum of voices and the sound of chips in play, scanning the tables for an empty spot. That two year stretch ranks near the top in terms of enjoyment. I had a lot of fun times.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom