No limit tournament literature (1 Viewer)

Medisin

High Hand
Reaction score
I guess that cash and tournament play in no limit holdem requires a bit different strategy?
Does anyone have some books to recommend for nl holdem tournament play?

I don't have any books to recommend, but the strategy is a little different. Tournament play requires a bit of stack preservation worked into the equation, where in a cash game the math predominates tough game decisions. Tournament play also changes around the bubble and at the pay jumps when the pay jumps are significant.

The Harrington books are a bit old... but are geared towards tournaments. They discuss the concept of "M." Which is think is still relevant in tourneys. I don't play many tournaments, so I can't be of much help. These are probably at least good to teach basic (and more) tournament concepts.

I'm currently reading "Harrington on Modern Tournament Poker", an attempt to update (as of 2014) his crusty, old strategy (which I still like, dammit!) from the original "Harrington on Hold 'Em". Can't really recommend or criticize it as I haven't finished it, but seems respectable enough so far. Also addresses M (though he also typically gives the alternative, stack size as a number of BB, which seems to be the way people actually do it at the table) and presents the idea of the Independent Chip Model (ICM).

Many nice recommendations, I will try and read a few. If not for anything else, but as a way of getting out of my own strategy which I tend to get stuck in. And the bubble, yes... people gets extremly tight around the bubble, myself included. And that might be a bit stupid?. Well at least knowing that opponents tend to throw away good pocket cards just to make it into the prices.

Some will tighten up at the bubble, and others will loosen up to take advantage of the tight play. For most players, the bubble just amplifies their usual tendencies. Best to know going into the bubble who's tight and who is looser and play accordingly.

Those videos are really old. I had a subscription to "Poker VT" back in the heyday of online poker. I learned a lot and added to my toolbox, but even Daniel admits he doesn't really play "small-ball" anymore.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom