NLHE Interesting PCF Tournament Hand (1 Viewer)

jemfernandez

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
9 handed PCF tournament online, Blinds are 150/300 with a 40 ante
We are on 24k UTG and look down at :qs::qh:
Should be pretty slam dunk right?

Ok Hero doesn't have a lot of history with the players but the Table consists of
UTG - Hero 24k - So far this session hasn't really shown down much. Squeezed preflop large a couple of times and check raised bluffed and won pots without showdown.
UTG+1 -15.7k - Seems like a solid player
MP1 - 17.6k - Tight passive type
MP2 - 40k - Seems solid
HJ - 29.7k - Loose splashy player. We've seen limp call unsuited connected hands from early position and play many suited unconnected cards
CO - 17k - Seems tight
BTN 17.5k - Loose aggressive type - Seems solid
SB - 8.7k - Don't really have anything on this player. Seems tight
BB - 7.9k - loose passive player. We've seen him lead into players after calling preflop when connects with the board

Action on Hero. Should he make it 600? 700? 900? 1200?. Limp?

Dunno who was playing that night, but I don't think you could accurately categorize ANY of the regulars as "tight".... :D

That early, with most stacks sitting on 60bb or more, I'd pop it to T2000 if wanting to thin the field. Still might get four callers....

My normal raise is to 2.2x-2.5x once antes start in a tourney. If people are being really loose though, then 3-4x could make sense if you don't think anyone will care/notice that you are changing your pfr size. No matter what, raise and don't limp.

I'd make it 1400. No way I min raising this and asking for people to play the hand. I could even validate making it more to limit callers, but with my first guess, gut says 1400

Anyhow, preflop seems straightforward. Hero elects to raise to 900.
MP1, HJ and BB call.

Flop is :5h::4h::6d:

BB leads out for 600. Action on Hero

We have a good heart so I’d peel. If we had QQ no heart, I nit it up and let the HJ play defense

Terrible raise IMO, just call and watch the Carnage. Its already a bloodbath.

Highly coordinated flop in four way action makes a bad, bad environment for pocket queens. There are many villain hands that have 35% - 50% equity, a few that have 50% - 60% equity, sets with 85% and the made straights that have 90%+ equity. Villains have a much better idea where they stand in the hand vs Hero who is flying blind with his hand much more tightly defined by the preflop raise.

Is a 600 chip donk bet into a 3,600 chip pot a blocking bet? Is it tricky trappy play, inviting a raise from someone? Is it a misguided "feeler" bet from some silly top pair hand?

I don't like this sort of situation vs skilled villains. I would fold to the 600 bet in a tough game. It isn't the 600 chips that bothers me, it is the likely path the hand is going to take. Step by step Hero could easily commit a big chunk of his stack in the form of three+ small bets that add up fast.

If the game is soft, Hero can perhaps call and see what transpires. But even in a soft game I think Hero stands to lose more than he wins.

Of course, Hero can always just shove and hope everyone else is chasing. . . .

Me? I like a disgusted fold -=- DrStrange

100/300 blinds? A donk bet of 300 into a 10xbb pot (or bigger) isn't unusual for some in this crowd...

Terrible flop for Hero, really bad for our UTG range and hits BB Villain's range well. MP1 and HJ could certainly connect very well with this board, but could also miss it by a mile. But first things first. Hero thinks back to the last few time he saw BB Villain lead out and feels like he has a top pair type of hand and is putting out a blocker bet. Hero feels that he should go for value vs BB and stack off if he gets raised all in VS BB and at the same time would like to protect his hand by trying to price out the possible draws like :kh::jh:, :ah::3h:, Axh or open ended straight+pairs or flush+pairs and possible overpairs to that board.

Hero raises to $3255. MP1 Villain, HJ Villain and BB Villain all call. Hero doesn't like this at all.
17k in pot. We have 20k behind.

Turn is the :5d:. Board now reads :5h::4h::6d: :5d:.

BB Villain goes all in for $4045. Action on Hero..

Last edited:
Pre-flop bet should have been more like 1,250, but doubt that does a lot to change the action.

Not a good flop for ladies. I think folding is an option, but probably a bit too weak in this game. Then again, you could already be destroyed. So, I certainly wouldn’t fault it. I would say call and pray you get to see a turn. Fold to a re-raise.

Turn: Fold with two players behind you yet to act.

Hero raises to $3255. MP1 Villain, HJ Villain and BB Villain all call. Hero doesn't like this at all.
17k in pot. We have 20k behind.

Turn is the :5d:. Board now reads :5h::4h::6d: :5d:.

BB Villain goes all in for $4045. Action on Hero..

I wasn't playing that night, but I'd be willing to bet a substantial amount of my PayPal balance that BB is @Chris La Mantia lol.

This is actually a pretty good turn card all things considered. None of the obvious draws got there, and if you were badly behind on the flop, you're still behind but at least you probably have a few outs now. It's also possible someone holding 6-4 (not unreasonable from certain players at this stage of the tournament) was counterfeited and you're now way ahead.

If it's me in this spot, I shove over the top and hope to fold out the other two players who are almost certainly on draws. Aside from a few non-red cards, pretty much every river that peels off is treacherous at best. Better to be all in by the time that happens, and if you can fold out the other villians, even if you lose the hand you'll still have 16k left which is plenty at this stage of the game.

It's worth pointing out that this is very much a 'go big or go home' play and not something I would do in an important tournament, but in a low stakes nightly PCF SnG, I'm not looking to make nitty folds.

I don’t remember this hand so I don’t think I was playing. At a minimum, I wasn’t on that table. Lol

I wasn't playing that night, but I'd be willing to bet a substantial amount of my PayPal balance that BB is @Chris La Mantia lol.
Haha, Villain shall remain anonymous.

Back to the hand. Hero still thinks there's a bunch of draws that MP and HJ could have, but recognizes at this point that we could/should be way behind, but feels it would be too weak to fold here.

Hero calls. MP Villain and HJ Villain both call. Turn is :kd:. Board now reads :5h::4h::6d: :5d: :kd: Action on us

Hero decides to check. MP checks. HJ bets 6k. We have 16k behind, 33k in pot. Action on us.

Fold. What exactly do you expect to beat?

HERO can really only beat a bluff... but it's very possibly HJ may only be able to win by bluffing. HERO is getting 6.5:1 on a call! I wouldn't fold second pair in a low stakes SnG in this spot. The prospect of a 55k chip stack at that stage of the tournament is a huge advantage, and having 10k behind if HERO loses isn't the end of the world... that's still 30 BBs.

Results: Hero tanked pretty deep into his time bank and Folds. Hero decided he really can't beat anything on this river bet and with 16k still, there's lots of poker to be played.

MP calls. (Hero was pretty happy to see this, thinking surely that was a good fold)

UTG shows TT
MP shows 99
HJ shows 88

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom