Nirvana Lounge (2 Viewers)

If you ever do an add on, you could do a tribute to the rare $100 chip with the words "Home of the SOHE King" written on it!

IMG_5991.JPG

Thanks, I've seen that before. I just don't understand if all that happens before it goes into the cups or after, or some before and some after.
Raw circular slugs are cut out of clay sheets, then the inserts are cut out of the slugs (and colored ones added back manually), then the mess is pressed (the first time). Inlays are added later when the final mold pressing is done.

We all know that Mr. King made a deal with a demon named Clayophiles (Clay-OFF-ill-ees) to make his chips so addictive to some. A side-effect of that deal is his quarter-pies stick together w/o bow-ties or dove-tails.
^^ This. Only Dennis knows what exact magic was performed behind the curtain at TRK.

But I suspect his 1/2-pies, 1/4-pies, and omg 1/8-pies were actually pieced together and constructed in-the-mold, unlike most other chip makers.

^^ This. Only Dennis knows what exact magic was performed behind the curtain at TRK.

But I suspect his 1/2-pies, 1/4-pies, and omg 1/8-pies were actually pieced together and constructed in-the-mold, unlike most other chip makers.

Didn't I read David from CPC post something about using inserts to hold the clay together, for complex patterns?

Congrats on a sweet set Bill! Great color combos but the scallopped inlay steals the show for me. Awesome choice. Favorite for me is the hundo...love the color combo. (y) :thumbsup:

Didn't I read David from CPC post something about using inserts to hold the clay together, for complex patterns?

I remember Spragg saying that TRKs technically weren't compression molded chips. Somehow that allowed them to do things others couldn't/can't.

I think you're right about TRK. I'm going by memory here, but I have some Jessie Beck Riversides $1s, which are TRK quarter pies, and one chip has a small chunk missing along the edge of a blue clay area, but the chip is not blue all the way through the cross section. IIRC, it's like a sandwich cookie, 2 layers of blue around a tan center layer.

I remember Spragg saying that TRKs technically weren't compression molded chips. Somehow that allowed them to do things others couldn't/can't.
I remember that post also.
I think you're right about TRK. I'm going by memory here, but I have some Jessie Beck Riversides $1s, which are TRK quarter pies, and one chip has a small chunk missing along the edge of a blue clay area, but the chip is not blue all the way through the cross section. IIRC, it's like a sandwich cookie, 2 layers of blue around a tan center layer.
I had thought I also sort of remembered something about later TRK's color not going all the way thru some chips, and/or the later chip edgespots not solid/all-the way thru the chip, & mentioned it at the bottom of the 1st post in this thread:
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/mint-trk-questions.19275/
@BGinGA in the 2nd post of that thread, had said "TRK chips are true compression-molded chips with cut out and added inserts, so they definitely do not have that last feature...."
I wonder what Spragg originally meant by TRK not being true compression molded, & also if there is anything to what you mention about some TRK's color not all the way thru ..

Last edited:
It was a technicality regarding TRKs not being "true" compression molded chips. But I got the sense from David that it was more an issue of semantics. I think it had to do with the temps and pressure levels, or lack thereof, or something like that, but I'm not certain. Either way, the clay goes all the way through the chip. They're made similarly to how CPC chips are made with round cuts of "clay", then edge spots punched out and replaced by hand with colored inserts, the whole 9 yards. The difference that David was referring to had something to do with the baking process. I got the impression that they just weren't compressed under high pressure like CPC's chips are.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom