Next step after Pharaoh's? (1 Viewer)

Well thanks PCF. Been on this site for one week and already spent thousands on an ESST set.

one-of-us.gif

Well thanks PCF. Been on this site for one week and already spent thousands on an ESST set.
Hi Jacks, I am litteraly one step behind you: about to purchase a Pharaoh CC tournament set (500 chips), or jump straight to CPC and get some Atlantic club chips (300). Without denomination, I figure I could easily use them for microstake cash game as well.

What's your take on the classics, Jacks? Would you recommend to spend some time enjoying the cheaper pharaohs for a few year first?

Hi Jacks, I am litteraly one step behind you: about to purchase a Pharaoh CC tournament set (500 chips), or jump straight to CPC and get some Atlantic club chips (300). Without denomination, I figure I could easily use them for microstake cash game as well.

What's your take on the classics, Jacks? Would you recommend to spend some time enjoying the cheaper pharaohs for a few year first?
500? 300? That's not a set; that's like one denomination worth ;)

I have been lurking here one and off for quite a while, and what HAS rubbed off on me is the marked preference for MOAR chips. More more more. What HASN'T rubbed off on me is the general disdain for China clay. I love me some China clay. The smell doesn't bother me. Kinda smells like crayons. Sound and feel are great. Colors are great - if you pick the right chips. I have some Paulson samples and they are nice, but it doesn't make me want to shell out thousands for a set. And I like LARGE sets. Someday I may get some CPC customs, if they are still around when I can financially justify it. I know I could already have a modest set with the amount I have put into CCs, but I am OK with that. I've got around 2200 tourney chips, all Milano, with about 360 of them being custom labels. My cash set is at about 3700, a mix between Pharaoh, Majestic, and Milano, with about half of it being custom labeled denominations. That way I could pick my favorite individual chips from different sets and use them for what I wanted. I've never posted pics but will soon once I am done applying the final batch of labels.
So all that is to say, one option is to explore different CC sets and mix and match what you like. There's no law saying you can't use the Majestic $1s with the CC Pharaoh's $5s, for example. (That's what I do because I happen to think those particular chips look classy. Whereas the Majestic $5s are boring, and the Pharaoh's 1's look a little cartoonish for my taste.)

I like to have different chips for different games. 3 different kinds of tournaments that I run have 3 different "bases" (T5, T25, or T100). Not efficient, but just fun. I have way too many cash denominations, more than anyone could ever use at once, but am ready for 2 tables of whatever conceivable game or stakes people could want to play in a home game. I have China clay sets for situations that will very rarely actually arise. If I ever get a true clay custom set, however, it would be only for the most frequent games, rather than for possibilities and contingencies, because of the cost. For me it would be a tourney set cause I run those much more frequently than cash games. Also you need fewer chips per person for comfortable tourney play than for comfortable cash play (especially limit).

So those are just some thoughts in favor of playing with China clay and being happy with them for a while.

Saw this post & thought COOL you're off your hiatus! (I was wrong)

I now own a boat too. Could still use a few more chips though because the bank will break after $725. Here are the fracs getting ready for their maiden voyage this Thursday.:

20221218_095937.jpg

Hope all is well with you & yours. Hit me up if you're ever interested in returning to my game.

Happy holidays @Jack!!!

Just read this entire thread with interest. I am in a similar position to you, I think. Recently back after a 12 year hiatus and I recovered my decimated old Paulson Pharoahs set, and thought I might as well sell these off as I didn't have enough left (a long story) for either a cash nor tournament set. But just today I've found another 100 of my Pharoahs in the glove box of my car. Wow!

Enough to nearly make a tourney set now... Nearly. Now I considering trying to refill the set rather than break it up. And that line above "If you get rid of the Pharoahs I guarantee you'll regret it" is really hitting home hard... Anyway, hope you found what you were looking for... Cheers :tup:

Just read this entire thread with interest. I am in a similar position to you, I think. Recently back after a 12 year hiatus and I recovered my decimated old Paulson Pharoahs set, and thought I might as well sell these off as I didn't have enough left (a long story) for either a cash nor tournament set. But just today I've found another 100 of my Pharoahs in the glove box of my car. Wow!

Enough to nearly make a tourney set now... Nearly. Now I considering trying to refill the set rather than break it up. And that line above "If you get rid of the Pharoahs I guarantee you'll regret it" is really hitting home hard... Anyway, hope you found what you were looking for... Cheers :tup:
I went through a bunch of different sets but I’m really happy where I ended up.

I do not regret selling the Pharaohs at all actually. If I had infinite money, I would have kept them though.

Good luck on your journey!

You found Pharaohs in your glove box??? Now THAT sounds like the kind of 'long story' I would like to hear!! LMFAO

I'm in a slightly different (cheaper) boat here. Have a set of CC Pharaoh's, just join looking for the next step up XD

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom