Newbie looking for home game chips (1 Viewer)

gmansbu

Pair
Reaction score
So I’m a newbie to the chip community. I want a “cool” set for my home game. I don’t really have a budget if I fall in love with a set. Ideally I’d stay under $2k. We have between 8-10 players at my home cash game. Currently we play with 1s, 5s, and 25s. I’m assuming 500 chips will be enough to start. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Here are some of the sets im looking at -
  1. Rounders replica
  2. Tropicana Evansville
  3. CDI98 THC
  4. Fun Nites
Thanks!

With no budget AND such a wide variety of potential interests, I'm going to go with the old saw: get samples! Preferably a few per style of chip. It's the only way to really get a feel for what you like, what you can tolerate for aesthetic purposes, and what you hate. You can do it a set or a rack at a time while you figure it out like a lot of us do (myself included), or you can be a bit smarter and take advantage of a wide range of samples to dial in what you like.

I'd be happy to send you a few chips to sample, but I don't have any CPCs, plastics, or THCs currently on hand and all of your shortlist chips fall into those categories. I'm sure someone can put together a little sample set or even a loaner shuffle stack of some of these for you, though!

EDIT: I dug around and found this thread that was living in the back of my mind - https://www.pokerchipforum.com/thre...-for-new-chippers-see-inside-for-rules.52550/

What are your game's stakes? I'll have to check with another one of the local PCF'ers here first, but I may have a CDI '98 set that I'd be willing to let go of to a NJ local at below current market rates. My set is 100 50 cent chips, 200 $1's, 200 $5's. If you use $25's in your game, those are probably the easiest to find around here. I'd like to hold onto the upper denoms that comprise my tournament set for now.

We usually buy in for around $100-$300. Ante is $1-$5. We typically use chips $1-$25. I would definitely be interested in some CDI especially if they were local. Unfortunately being a newbie I’m very limited on my communication. No PM or access to classifieds yet. For now I wait patiently to get access. Then by the sounds of the elders around here - get ready to spend some money! Haha

We usually buy in for around $100-$300. Ante is $1-$5. We typically use chips $1-$25. I would definitely be interested in some CDI especially if they were local. Unfortunately being a newbie I’m very limited on my communication. No PM or access to classifieds yet. For now I wait patiently to get access. Then by the sounds of the elders around here - get ready to spend some money! Haha
I mean, the good news is that your listed chip preferences run the gamut as far as price range goes. Maybe you'll be lucky and fall in love with the cheap ones!

Look around the pron...er...showcase threads here and the equipment subforums to get up to the 10ish posts you need for PM access. If you are looking to upgrade on cards for your game, for example, you can post there and I can give you some recommendations.

@Tommy shot me a PM and clarified the post/time limits on PM's. You should be good to go now @gmansbu . From the FAQ page:

New Member Requirements

The New Member Requirements (NMR) are in place to help protect the community from spammers and scammers. These requirements can change with or without notice.

After 3 posts members can:
  • use Conversations also called Private Messages or PMs.
After 10 posts and 3 days members can:
  • use the Classifieds and eBay / Amazon / Craigslist / Other sections.
  • post replies in other members' threads in the PCF Introductions and Check-Ins section.
  • post replies in the PCF Giveaways and Member Giveaways sections.
  • upload images to the Media Gallery and Conversations.
After 30 posts and 30 days members can:
  • use the Auctions section.
  • join the Politics section.
  • join the PCF online home games
  • create threads in the Group Buys and Member Giveaways section.

I thought the same from reading the rules. While I’m a newbie here I’ve been around many other forums. I’m assuming I’m clicking on the username to send a PM. After clicking on users I have no button to PM or message. I was assuming it was still a privilege issue so I’m remaining patient. Gives me more time to shop around the classifieds :) Unless I’m missing how to use the PM feature.

500-600 chips is probably what you're looking for. Just figure out what you need for a total bank based on the largest amount you can imagine on the table, and maybe doubling it. I'm guessing maybe around $6000 or a bit more.

I’m assuming I’m clicking on the username to send a PM. After clicking on users I have no button to PM or message. I was assuming it was still a privilege issue so I’m remaining patient. Gives me more time to shop around the classifieds :) Unless I’m missing how to use the PM feature.
To send a PM, click on the envelope next to their name, or click on their name and select "start conversation". If neither appears, you haven't yet met the requirements for access (or need to close/restart PCF).

Most folks recommend 600 chips for a single-table 10-player game (generally playing hold'em). If you are playing non-blinds games (like stud or draw), or with a shorter table of 7-8 players, you can likely get by with fewer chips (like 400-500).

After much deliberation, and much back and forth, I ended up picking up my first set. I went with the BW AC set. Being from New Jersey I liked the back story. I'll post pics when everything arrives & gets unpackaged.

Problem is I'm already looking at additional sets. You guys were all right - This site is more expensive than a drug habit!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom