New venerati chips quality disappointing (1 Viewer)

Withanx

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I had an old set of cash Venerati chips from buypokerchips.com that I bought in 2009. Recently some friends have been more interested in playing sit'n'gos. Since I had about 100 $25 chips, and a few higher denom chips, I figured I would just add on to my cash set and buy some chips for small tournament play. I ordered about 300 new chips.

They arrived yesterday, and I can tell they are completely different chips (with the same design printed). The first thing I noticed was that the ink was much less vibrant on every denomination, and the edges were much more matte. The printing also seemed to be lower resolution. It was most noticeable on the $500 and $1000 chips (purple and orange), which appeared more pastel than the vibrant chips I had purchased almost 8 years ago. Even worse, within the new $1000 chips received, there were two very distinct different colors. One was much more pink, but neither came close to the deep saturated color of my original chips.

Ven1.jpg

I contacted buypokerchips.com about the issue, and they told me that their supplier had bought a new printer and that they couldn't match my original chips. After closer inspection, I could tell that was not true. The chips sound completely different than my originals, and they are clearly lighter in weight. The sound is much less dense and glass-like, and sounds more like thin plastic. My original set feels much colder to the touch for longer, almost like glass, vs the new chips that barely feel cold at all and warm up very quick after handling, more like a plastic.

This is all very disappointing, because I loved the original Venerati chips. Unfortunately I will be sending this set back and looking for a ceramic chip with the quality of the old Veneratis.

Ven5.jpg

Ven6.jpg

Ven3.jpg

Ven7.jpg

Ven2.jpg

Damn that sucks. Such a great line and sad to see and hear about the newer stock issues. Every chip line goes through color matching issues over the years but this seems to be a lower quality product overall. Unfortunate. I wonder where these are being manufactured. :x:cautious:

This is disappointing news as I have been considering ordering some of these chips as well.

Here is a sound comparison as well. Old chips on the left, new on the right.

looks like a combination of new blanks, new ink, and new printing equipment. terrible combo when adding on to an existing set.

Wow WTF? They are basically totally different chips. Sorry man.

Well shit, that definitely sucks. Props to you for running a few objective tests and quickly deciding to send them back when they weren't to your liking. Hopefully that'll keep you from running afoul of any return policies.

That's too bad. I've always like the veneratis. I've only owned a sample set, but I've almost bought a cash set or a tournament set a couple of times. And I've often recommended them as a good affordable stock chip. No more, I guess.
Thanks for sharing.

I would return these chips and email the CEO (Stephan Aarstol) the link to this thread. Make them aware of whats going on. Unfortunately you're in the hole for the shipping charges :(

http://www.buypokerchips.com/returns.asp

Return Policy
Easy Returns. Free Exchanges.

The Sidepot Clay Poker Chips Company prides itself on customer service and satisfaction. Our aim is to exceed your highest expectations in terms of both chip quality and customer service.

Your Satisfaction is Guaranteed
We're confident that you'll be overwhelmed by the world-class quality of our clay poker chips. In fact, we back all of our chips, as well as the rest of our products, with a 15-day money back guarantee. If you are not satisfied beyond your expectations with your purchase FOR ANY REASON you may return it in its original condition within 15 days of receipt for a full refund (or exchange) less shipping charges. It'sthat simple. Note samples are not returnable.

Please note these terms when returning an order:

1. We will refund the full purchase price of the order minus shipping charges. Shipping charges are non-refundable, except in the event that Sidepot.com has shipped the wrong items.
  2. Refunds will only be made in the same form as the original payment within 15 days of our receipt of a return.
  3. We recommend using a shipping method that is traceable so that your shipment will not be lost in the mail. We cannot be responsible for defects or damage caused by customer error.

Returns on Damaged Goods
If your order arrives damaged upon delivery, please report it to us within 24 hours by either emailing us at
email.gif
. It is imperative that you contact us promptly so that we can work out the details with our shipper within the allowable time frame, and so that we can remedy the situation for you as quickly as possible.

Send All Returns to:

Sidepot Clay Poker Chips
1253 Garnet Avenue
San Diego, CA 92109

How much were these chips again? Are these really on sale?

upload_2017-6-27_14-53-37.png

I would return these chips and email the CEO (Stephan Aarstol) the link to this thread. Make them aware of whats going on. Unfortunately you're in the hole for the shipping charges :(

http://www.buypokerchips.com/returns.asp

Return Policy
Easy Returns. Free Exchanges.

The Sidepot Clay Poker Chips Company prides itself on customer service and satisfaction. Our aim is to exceed your highest expectations in terms of both chip quality and customer service.

Your Satisfaction is Guaranteed
We're confident that you'll be overwhelmed by the world-class quality of our clay poker chips. In fact, we back all of our chips, as well as the rest of our products, with a 15-day money back guarantee. If you are not satisfied beyond your expectations with your purchase FOR ANY REASON you may return it in its original condition within 15 days of receipt for a full refund (or exchange) less shipping charges. It'sthat simple. Note samples are not returnable.

Please note these terms when returning an order:

1. We will refund the full purchase price of the order minus shipping charges. Shipping charges are non-refundable, except in the event that Sidepot.com has shipped the wrong items.
  2. Refunds will only be made in the same form as the original payment within 15 days of our receipt of a return.
  3. We recommend using a shipping method that is traceable so that your shipment will not be lost in the mail. We cannot be responsible for defects or damage caused by customer error.

Returns on Damaged Goods
If your order arrives damaged upon delivery, please report it to us within 24 hours by either emailing us at
email.gif
. It is imperative that you contact us promptly so that we can work out the details with our shipper within the allowable time frame, and so that we can remedy the situation for you as quickly as possible.

Send All Returns to:

Sidepot Clay Poker Chips
1253 Garnet Avenue
San Diego, CA 92109
You think the CEO has any employees? I'm guessing it's a pretty small operation.

It's just a part-time business these days. He's moved on to other non-chip related ventures.

When I got mine last year, I think, I remember the actual chips looked more faded than in the photos. This explains it all. Thanks for the video.

When I got mine last year, I think, I remember the actual chips looked more faded than in the photos. This explains it all. Thanks for the video.
I was actually considering these chips until watching your video review on them and seeing this post. Too bad they let themselves go.

If you search for "Venerati", there are tons of posts upon posts that give a thumbs up for these chips. Real bummer they got to this point. Hopefully its temporary, a bad batch etc. Hopefully they can fix the problem, otherwise it will be a loss to the chip world. There are already so many limited lower cost options out there (that have decent quality).

So is it the case that "good Chinese factory" has been replaced by "poor generic Chinese factory"?

So is it the case that "good Chinese factory" has been replaced by "poor generic Chinese factory"?

Looks like it. You can still buy these chips from some direct from China sites. I might get a sample sent over to see if they are the chips produced at the old factory with the previous quality. The photos seem to indicate that they are, but they could be old photos. Interestingly, there are also additional denominations like $10 and $50 that were not available via the Venerati set.

This is too bad. I wonder if the "Archetypes" have also been diminished. I used to use them for my tourney set and thought they were great for the money

This is too bad. I wonder if the "Archetypes" have also been diminished. I used to use them for my tourney set and thought they were great for the money

I believe the Archetypes were made by Chipco, different manufacturer.

I recently ordered a sample set and was disappointed as well. The pics on their website had me really, really liking them even though they had the dollar signs and small printing of the values. Then I got the chips and was immediately let down. I wasn't sure if it was me, the lighting or whatever. But I'm glad I came across this thread to verify my concerns. Thank you @Withanx.

Are we able to pin down when the change happened? I had a similar, though not as drastic, issue between batches I purchased back in mid/late-2011 and early/mid-2012, mainly between 5's and 1k's. Posted about it back on the blue wall, though I'll re-post some pics here. I'm guessing this pre-dates the bigger changes and was mostly due to batch differences (which is what Stephan from SP told me then) or something. Also, Stephan told me the newer ones just needed a good hand-oiling and they'd be closer to the prior batch. It's been 5 years, with occasional handling, and I can still tell them apart when I look closely.

IMG_2991b.jpg

IMG_2992b.jpg

Original post, if you dare: http://www.chiptalk.net/forum/threads/buffing-ceramic-edges-venerati-inconsistencies.79093/

Looks like it. You can still buy these chips from some direct from China sites. I might get a sample sent over to see if they are the chips produced at the old factory with the previous quality. The photos seem to indicate that they are, but they could be old photos. Interestingly, there are also additional denominations like $10 and $50 that were not available via the Venerati set.

Were you able to get a refund on the Sidepot Venerati chips?

Still having the same issues 4 years later. Original set from 2010ish, new red birds yesterday. Very disappointing.
20210111_172746.jpg
20210111_172838.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom