New UK Member Yorkshire based (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

New member but I am already addicted to the forum. I have loads of questions so apologies and thank you to anyone out there willing to point me in the right direction.

Are there any UK based members that have had success in getting their first high quality home poker chipset as it looks really difficult to find something in the UK?

Any suggestions and what should my budget be for a quality starter chipset for a cash home game 6-8 players? Assuming Paulson's are the end game for many but they are rare and out of my budget if they are coming from the US.
Are there any UK clay chip retailers?
Are there different qualities of clay chips hence the reason why Paulson's are more expensive and retain value better than say CPC (Classic Poker chip)?
Has anyone bought from the US and can give me an approximate cost of shipping and import duties so I can do a quick calculation of expenses before deciding on a chipset if the US is the only place to buy from?

Thanks all. Loving the pictures of some amazing chipsets. Wish Id found this forum years ago.

Welcome mate!

Shipping varies but I managed to get 10 racks of Paulsons across the pond for about $140. If they are marked down in price, the tax man won’t take their slice either.

Can’t expect CPC to do that if you went down that route though, so you should budget for another 25% in VAT and Duty/handling.

There is the BCC option when it comes to clay as well but these are rarer and won’t be any cheaper than Paulsons.

Depending on how you feel about condition. You can definitely pick up a set of RHC for under $2 a chip. Plus, if you can be patient, you might find something appears via The Chip Room too.

Welcome in.

I think Ray above answered most of your questions. I've had 3 good size chip deliveries from the US, each one coming in at around $120 shipping costs. If you ask the person shipping to you nicely, they usually declare a lower value and sneak past customs (saving you a chunk).

There are a few UK chip retailers, but they seem to be the plastic chips which most folks here don't like too much. Keep an eye in the classifieds though, as UK Paulson sales pop up every now and then.

Depending on your budget another very good option to explore are Cards Mold chips. They come from China via Alibaba websites, super popular here as you design everything and they print the chips - a very cost effective way of getting a custom themed set. Have a search around PCF for examples, they are great. I have 2 sets and love them. Drop me a PM if you have any questions on that, I can help with the designs too if needed.

With that said, I think once you spend some time here you will quickly accept 95% of what you want is in the US, and you will just pay the shipping costs and eagerly await the chips to arrive :cool

Cheers, Matt

edit - for example these just came up for sale near London :)

Welcome! I placed a cpc customs order in November, received them in February, and paid 200 ish pounds for import tax, ffs. :(

Welcome! I placed a cpc customs order in November, received them in February, and paid 200 ish pounds for import tax, ffs. :(
Wow thats huge - was the import calculated on the total value of the CPC order at c.2.5% Then VAT on the delivery aswell?

Wow thats huge - was the import calculated on the total value of the CPC order at c.2.5% Then VAT on the delivery aswell?
I'm not entirely sure how they calculate it accurately but it was about 20% of my order total.

Welcome mate. Main question is what do you play (hold ‘em, Omaha or something else) and what are your blinds and buy ins?

Would you recommend getting a starter non CPC set first? And what examples of non clay would you recommend to a new chipper?

Thanks Mattross. What samples would you recommend to a new chipper?
If you are very new to chipping, I’d say to maybe get a sample of each main type of chip material (a china clay, ceramic, Paulson and CPC). For example some Royals, Cards Molds, RHC Paulson. To add further fuel to the fire, my Paulson set uses mint chips with sharp edges - they look fantastic when stacked. Though a used set of Paulsons are great too as they shuffle like butter.

That’s still a pretty wide range but may help you zone in on a material you prefer over the others. I had already had some ceramic sets between joining PCF so fell straight down the rabbit hole with Paulson chips - which was a shock to my planned budget.

It ultimately comes down to how much you want to spend for your set - which may change once you get your hands on the sample chips and decide you prefer X style of chip.

Welcome mate. Main question is what do you play (hold ‘em, Omaha or something else) and what are your blinds and buy ins?
Gonna be jaiiiiillbreak. Yeah mainly NLHE for our cash game and the occasional PLO bomb pot (sorry I bow to peer pressure). Mainly microstakes though 5/10p

Gonna be jaiiiiillbreak. Yeah mainly NLHE for our cash game and the occasional PLO bomb pot (sorry I bow to peer pressure). Mainly microstakes though 5/10p
Oh and 200bb buy in max

Would you recommend getting a starter non CPC set first? And what examples of non clay would you recommend to a new chipper?

Thanks Mattross. What samples would you recommend to a new chipper?
Speaking of coincidences! I actually was about to list my CPC colour samples and Atlantic A mold sample set on the classifieds. (I keep procrastinating) It would help you loads if you're looking to get a custom set. If you're interested I can sell that to you, helps that you're in the UK too, see pic attached. PM me if this is the case, I'll follow with more details.

Attachments

• 20220321_164036.jpg
    20220321_164036.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 95
If you are very new to chipping, I’d say to maybe get a sample of each main type of chip material (a china clay, ceramic, Paulson and CPC). For example some Royals, Cards Molds, RHC Paulson. To add further fuel to the fire, my Paulson set uses mint chips with sharp edges - they look fantastic when stacked. Though a used set of Paulsons are great too as they shuffle like butter.

That’s still a pretty wide range but may help you zone in on a material you prefer over the others. I had already had some ceramic sets between joining PCF so fell straight down the rabbit hole with Paulson chips - which was a shock to my planned budget.

It ultimately comes down to how much you want to spend for your set - which may change once you get your hands on the sample chips and decide you prefer X style of chip.
Hi Mattros. @NumisChip had some UK RHC/THC chips for sale on the classifieds. There were some mint and some used. Do you think it would be a good idea to get a sample of both conditions providing say they were both RHC?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom