New to the hobby! (1 Viewer)

UncleMarlin

High Hand
Reaction score
Hi y'all! I've been playing poker casually for a few years but haven't given much thought to the chips until our games started picking up in the last few months. I'm the guy that does a ton of research whenever he buys something to (attempt) to thwart purchase regret, though I've found this hobby and community really interesting, so here I am to stay. Probably going to pull the trigger on a set of 400 clay dunes to bring our 6-8 player game an extra level. I really like the idea of some CPC Atlantic Club hot stamps or some of the cheaper Paulsons, but would rather get something a little more disposable (and far cheaper) now and maybe buy a smaller set of those when I sort of know what I'm doing and what to look for. Thanks for building an interesting community and I look forward to being apart of it!

Hi and Welcome!

If you haven't heard it already - it is recommended to "get samples" of anything you are considering buying to see if you like them in person.
Just some food for thought..
There are ALOT of options in the same price range as the Dunes China clays.
Ceramic chips might be a good option to look into if you haven't already.
Look at the Group Buys that have been done on the forum for different chips.

Cards Mold chips are pretty nice for the price.
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/cards-mold-showcase.69344/

You can also check out companies like Sunfly, BRPRO..

CPC/Paulson will be a big step up in quality, look and feel, etc compared to the Dunes and China clay in general.
Some used (and some new) Paulsons can still be found in the $1 per chip range.

thread comparing different China Clay chips (like the Dunes):

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/china-clay-chips-comparison.69551/

New CC (china clay) chips will not hold their value once purchased.
In general, Paulson chips will hold their value (and sometimes increase).. so if you buy a set.. you can consider it as a rental if you want and resell for no loss later.

enjoy the ride!

Hi and Welcome!
Hey, thanks so much for the detailed response! Yeah I've been doing a lot of digging the past week and looked at ceramics and also the Cards Mold, I've handled some chips similar to them (though I should probably get some samples).

I think I've held off because I wanted to get a little closer to the clay feel. The prospect about retaining value is particularly interesting to me and would probably be the biggest factor in getting a nicer set. Curious, are there specific Paulsons/other high quality chips that are generally available around that $1-$1.20 a chip range? I've probably been looking for the wrong chips in the wrong places and I haven't really found any Paulsons or CPCs under $2 each.

If there's none out there at the moment, all good. Maybe I'll hold off for a good deal and buy some samples. I've been playing with my dice chips for a while now so looking for an upgrade, but would rather it be the right upgrade.

Hey, thanks so much for the detailed response! Yeah I've been doing a lot of digging the past week and looked at ceramics and also the Cards Mold, I've handled some chips similar to them (though I should probably get some samples).

I think I've held off because I wanted to get a little closer to the clay feel. The prospect about retaining value is particularly interesting to me and would probably be the biggest factor in getting a nicer set. Curious, are there specific Paulsons/other high quality chips that are generally available around that $1-$1.20 a chip range? I've probably been looking for the wrong chips in the wrong places and I haven't really found any Paulsons or CPCs under $2 each.

If there's none out there at the moment, all good. Maybe I'll hold off for a good deal and buy some samples. I've been playing with my dice chips for a while now so looking for an upgrade, but would rather it be the right upgrade.
you can defintely get Paulsons in that price range. You will be limited to used and certain new Paulsons.
All things being equal, I prefer to play with slightly used to good used Paulsons instead of mint... but either are fine.

this is a great example that was just listed:

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/hsi-hoosier-southern-indiana-used-cash-set-for-sale.84371/
(fyi, these chips are readily available in quantity and not difficult to find)

You could also put up a wanted ad stating that you are looking for a Paulson cash set / racks of chips with a desired breakdown (for a set), price range, condition range, color preferences, etc.

Last edited:
you can defintely get Paulsons in that price range. You will be limited to used and certain new Paulsons.
Oh sweet didn't even see that classifieds post. I'll have to wait out the new member restrictions but appreciate the help and will definitely be actively looking for some used Paulsons once I can post over there. Thank you for the help!

Hi and Welcome to PCF,

You can find slightly used chip at below $1 for paulson, and if you dont mind the much more worn chip ; they are sold at below 40c at the TheChipRoom Blackfriday sales recently

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom