New Project Coming Soon: Stackable Trays!

sheikh617

Straight
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love it! Super happy with how it came out! I'll be taking some sexy photos with the tray loaded with chips/jetons/plaques!

Last edited:

Mental Nomad

Full House
Reaction score
Looks fantastic!

Personal note: rather than the leather rope or the kitchen drawer pulls, I'd prefer a a long ledger added to two sides. Slight curve routed into the bottom of the ledger for grip. Same finish as the tray.

That way, you can grab the tray further up or further down, depending on where the weight is. When a tray is half-empty and the chips are all at the top or the bottom, handles in the middle become nearly useless for carrying it.

Moxie Mike

Straight
Site Vendor
Reaction score
Looks fantastic!

Personal note: rather than the leather rope or the kitchen drawer pulls, I'd prefer a a long ledger added to two sides. Slight curve routed into the bottom of the ledger for grip. Same finish as the tray.

That way, you can grab the tray further up or further down, depending on where the weight is. When a tray is half-empty and the chips are all at the top or the bottom, handles in the middle become nearly useless for carrying it.
Can you post a picture of what you have in mind?

Moxie Mike

Straight
Site Vendor
Reaction score
@Moxie Mike is the foam tray secured inside the box? Also i thought there were two compartments to this. Is it just one?
The foam fits pretty snugly in the tray but it is removable.

@sheikh617's project only required one tray, however we built more than one to demonstrate stackability. That's why some pictures show two units. The most recent pictures are of his completed product.

aaronroch

High Hand
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy smokes this is coming along looking amazing.
I LOVE that full-length handle. But I'd take either handle over the ropes in a split-second based on looks alone. And I remain convinced that the handle would be superior to ropes for a half-full tray, if it was half-full in the 'wrong' direction.

sheikh617

Straight
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I LOVE that full-length handle. But I'd take either handle over the ropes in a split-second based on looks alone. And I remain convinced that the handle would be superior to ropes for a half-full tray, if it was half-full in the 'wrong' direction.
I like the ropes from an aesthetic standpoint. I'll have to test the half filled top/bottom to see if it'll be an issue. I also never see myself filling it in that manner but it's definitely something to think about.

Moxie Mike

Straight
Site Vendor
Reaction score
The rope handle was born out of necessity from the second prototype - We needed a handle that was flexible enough to where it wouldn't interfere with the closing and opening of the drawer.

I've handled the prototype trays (with ropes) with an unbalanced load of chips... it's a little awkward when you first pick it up but it's not a heavy object, so it's not a big deal really.

aaronroch

High Hand
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the ropes from an aesthetic standpoint. I'll have to test the half filled top/bottom to see if it'll be an issue. I also never see myself filling it in that manner but it's definitely something to think about.
On further reflection, I guess I'm not surprised that the unbalanced bit is a red herring as far as concerns go. As long as you keep it dimly in mind when filling it, and aren't using 14g dice chips, anyway. :)
But that's interesting that you prefer the ropes aesthetically! I think everything about your case and chips is amazing EXCEPT for the ropes! Ha! I guess that's why there is no one 'perfect' product, and why I'm glad I'm not a designer.

sheikh617

Straight
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On further reflection, I guess I'm not surprised that the unbalanced bit is a red herring as far as concerns go. As long as you keep it dimly in mind when filling it, and aren't using 14g dice chips, anyway. :)
But that's interesting that you prefer the ropes aesthetically! I think everything about your case and chips is amazing EXCEPT for the ropes! Ha! I guess that's why there is no one 'perfect' product, and why I'm glad I'm not a designer.
Yup! The best part about stuff like this, is that you have the choice of preference. I kind of like the rustic look the ropes give, whereas others would prefer something else. When building your own, Mike will give you exactly what you're looking for! :tup:

Last edited:
Top Bottom