New poker movie in 2017 - Molly's Game (1 Viewer)

....About an hour from me in New York State, there is a club—not high stakes, but very active—which is incorporated explicitly as a poker club. It operates as a membership organization, out in the open. They have been doing this for about 12-15 years. I’ve seen the incorporation papers, and there is no attempt to hide what it is about. The State approved them, and they have a tax-exempt determination. How this happened and continues, I don’t know, but apparently the authorities are cool with it....

Might this be "The Poker Club, LLC"? in Rochester?

If you have the nuts, why would it matter if your opponent had QQ?! And if you laid down your hand because your opponent said he had QQ, THEN YOU DIDN'T HAVE THE NUTS!!!

Also, maybe things are different in New York, but generally, it is a violation of judicial and attorney ethics to have an ex parte conversation about a case. When the Judge called up the two US Attorneys to the bench before sentencing, Charlie Jaffey (Idris Elba, Molly's attorney) would be obligated to report both attorneys and the Judge, or be in violation of ethics himself.

I agree its not a poker movie, but there was alot of poker in it. From a poker persepctive, they got alot right. I wish they woulda spent time with chips and cards, though. I saw the Gemaco's. But with a professional dealer, I would have expected them to order a $15 set of Copags, or even a $30 set of KEMs. Even the MB branded China clays were silly. So many better options out there, and someone would have called it out. Can you imagine being Tobey Maquire, I mean "Player X" -- he may not know what he's played with, but he's sat at the World Series... wouldn't he suggest a chip upgrade when stacks of 20 dice chips topple over? Plus, using red, green and blacks as whatever denomination they were using them as... without hotstamps or labels, I would think it would be confusing... Especially if the same players are playing in other games.

Last edited:
I watched this movie again last night (1st time at theater). I enjoyed it again as it is an interesting story of degens and criminals etc.

I focused on the chip usage this time. I think the 1st game showed them using dice chips. The next upgraded game used the eclipse plastic chips. Then the final big stakes game in NY used "custom" chips with "MB" on 1 side. So the question is, are there any chips from that game around, either from the real game or the movie props?

Thanks for the tip! I don't know how I could have missed this one. Thought it was a new movie, but from 2017. I'm late to the game :)

Watching this on the second screen while cleaning up the database at work.
Dice chips in the first 15 minutes, and I'm now doing light admin work with high blood pressure. Thanks guys! :mad::p

I focused on the chip usage this time. I think the 1st game showed them using dice chips. The next upgraded game used the eclipse plastic chips. Then the final big stakes game in NY used "custom" chips with "MB" on 1 side. So the question is, are there any chips from that game around, either from the real game or the movie props?

I can get you replica movie props from the first game...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom