New old poker table (1 Viewer)

sramp17

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Evening gents

Inherited this table as my father no longer wants it. It belonged to his grandfather

few questions, for one I’m going to have it refinished by my uncle who is a phenomenal wood worker. Refinsh wood, replace/resecure legs, new felt, etc

For starters the size is overall 57” corner to corner and the playable felt area is 45.5” corner to corner. Seats 8, does this seem big enough to accommodate 8 grown men?

also best retailers for speed cloth?

thanks!

Attachments

• 0BCEE692-2A7D-45AD-9A78-D2E000FAD5D2.jpeg
    0BCEE692-2A7D-45AD-9A78-D2E000FAD5D2.jpeg
    138.9 KB · Views: 181
Should easily seat 8 adults.

Hit up @T_Chan for a custom gaming cloth to fit.

Should easily seat 8 adults.

Hit up @T_Chan for a custom gaming cloth to fit.
His stuff looks really nice. Not sure what I’d want as a custom cover if anything but good to know the option is there

I am looking for insight from people with more poker experience than myself for table upgrades. Like what to do with the pockets in front of each player? Is it worth keeping them or am I better off filling them and having arm padding around?

I want to keep the table semi-recognizable as it’s been in the family for many many years. Although one thing for sure is that green cloth not an option, just not my cup of tea

Last edited:
I think at that size it might be a little tight for 8 people, but playable. Good luck with it. Amazing to have a table from your great grandfather!

That is a typical “Kestel” poker table I think the name is. I have one. 8 players is a little tight, but 6 is very comfortable. The best thing I ever did with mine was remove the four fold out legs and mount it to a pedestal.

I am looking for insight from people with more poker experience than myself for table upgrades. Like what to do with the pockets in front of each player? Is it worth keeping them or am I better off filling them and having arm padding around?

I want to keep the table semi-recognizable as it’s been in the family for many many years. ...

Normally with these tables I would say make a padded rail over the whole outside, but as you said it's a family heirloom at this point, so I would try to keep it as much as is as possible. Maybe you could build padded rail inserts that fit into the pockets?

Being that the table is on the smaller side, I'd be inclined to utilize the 'tray' areas as usable space vs as a padded rail.

I'd consider raising that area and the center playing area to the same height once foam and cloth have been added, leaving only the drink areas as bare wood.... for maximum functionality.

Charging ports and thru-table cupholders come to mind with all that real estate available.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Last question (hopefully), I plan to have my uncle fix this up, however he is notoriously slow working so its anyone's guess as to when he would complete it or even start as hes busy with other jobs.

Does anyone know of a person/company I could have do this for me in a more timely manner on Long Island, NY? Preferable Suffolk County

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Last question (hopefully), I plan to have my uncle fix this up, however he is notoriously slow working so its anyone's guess as to when he would complete it or even start as hes busy with other jobs.

Does anyone know of a person/company I could have do this for me in a more timely manner on Long Island, NY? Preferable Suffolk County
You should definitely try and do some of this yourself. It's a great way to spend time and the payoff is insane. Such immense pride in the final project

Being that the table is on the smaller side, I'd be inclined to utilize the 'tray' areas as usable space vs as a padded rail.

I'd consider raising that area and the center playing area to the same height once foam and cloth have been added, leaving only the drink areas as bare wood.... for maximum functionality.

I strongly second this suggestion. I used to own a Kestel and the main reason I got rid of it is the "chip well" - people just naturally use it and it's really annoying not to be able to see people's stacks.

I don't know if your budget allows it, but imagine the possibilities for an @T_Chan custom cloth here given the history of the table! Was it your father's paternal grandfather? You could have your last name with the years of play on it. Johnson Poker 1951- 2020. Is there any way to figure out when the table was originally purchased or played on by your great grandfather?

Maybe if your uncle sees the plans you have for it, and that you were thinking of hiring someone else to do the work on it, it would add some incentive to get to it quicker? I think it adds to the legend of the table if you or someone in your family refurbishes it.

His stuff looks really nice. Not sure what I’d want as a custom cover if anything but good to know the option is there

I want to keep the table semi-recognizable as it’s been in the family for many many years. Although one thing for sure is that green cloth not an option, just not my cup of tea

I can do a semi-custom cloth for you for $150. Includes up to 3 colors and a betting line or a suited speed cloth pattern.

Untitled.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom