New Member - Texan in Singapore (1 Viewer)

mho

High Hand
Reaction score
What’s up y’all! I came this way after picking up poker during the COVID-19 shutdown, getting introduced by a buddy who bought a micro stakes set on the PCF classifieds, and watching several Jon Hobby videos when I decided I wanted to get some chips of my own... I’m a total newbie at this stuff, but you seem like decent people and I’m excited to learn. Some irrelevant facts about me:

1. My dad and I beat the Jurassic Park arcade game at Chuck E Cheese when I was a kid. It must have cost at least $20 because we were paying a quarter to keep playing every time we got chomped by a T-Rex.

2. I love dogs, but poodles scare the crap out of me. I feel like they’re way too smart for their own good...

3. My first job was a bagger at a grocery store. Pushing carts in the pouring rain and the sizzling Houston summer wasn’t my fondest of memories, but I’ve always heard being miserable builds character ;)

4. My wife is my everything, and she definitely isn’t standing over my shoulder at this moment.

5. I am a firm believer that no recipe can have too much butter. Or garlic for that matter.

I don’t currently have a debilitating chip addiction, but I look forward to developing one with y’all :cool

Welcome Friend!! truly epic first post!! HAHAHA love it!!

So any insight on what chips have caught your attention so far? no you can't just say all of them!! lol

Unfortunately this sickness is real!! looking forward to seeing where your chipping journey takes you!!

I imagine getting lots of samples to Singapore isn't cheap, but with other chippers around you hopefully you can get a feel for what you like!

If you ever have any questions feel free to reach out anytime by PM!!

Fellow Chipper Ben

@Ben8257 it’s like you know me - I’m like a kid in a candy store! Honestly, I’m leaning towards Majestics or Royals for a first set, since they seem like all-around solid & affordable chips and I really dig their look. Once I do my research, I’ll no branch out. I know I love the Jack Detroit set, Aurora Stars, and I’m definitely crushing on this overlabeled set from @PlayerADK that caught my eye from early on.
@redeagle I appreciate the warm welcome! I didn’t even know that was an option :D
@wuffle always glad to make new friends over here! Of course I’d be happy to join!
@Pippa the little red dot is growing bigger!!
@allforcharity Singapore or Houston/Texas? Counterintuitively, they’re pretty similar to me: friendly outgoing people who are proud of their multicultural city... and DELICIOUS food.
@FordPickup92 thank you! Glad to know I’m in good company. They say garlic is a superfood, but that’s just the excuse I use for adding it to everything.

I’m really surprised by the influx of responses here - thanks everyone for dropping in and saying hi!

Hello and welcome...one of my favorite first posts ever!

Reactions: mho
@Ben8257 it’s like you know me - I’m like a kid in a candy store! Honestly, I’m leaning towards Majestics or Royals for a first set, since they seem like all-around solid & affordable chips and I really dig their look. Once I do my research, I’ll no branch out. I know I love the Jack Detroit set, Aurora Stars, and I’m definitely crushing on this overlabeled set from @PlayerADK that caught my eye from early on.
@redeagle I appreciate the warm welcome! I didn’t even know that was an option :D
@wuffle always glad to make new friends over here! Of course I’d be happy to join!
@allforcharity Singapore or Houston/Texas? Counterintuitively, they’re pretty similar to me: friendly outgoing people who are proud of their multicultural city... and DELICIOUS food.
@FordPickup92 thank you! Glad to know I’m in good company. They say garlic is a superfood, but that’s just the excuse I use for adding it to everything.

I’m really surprised by the influx of responses here - thanks everyone for dropping in and saying hi!
@Ben8257 and I always cook with garlic, even if a recipe doesnt call for it a pinch won't hurt!! (Fyi we're a couple, any welcome exchanges or questions from you are happily answered by the both of us!)
And the royals are fantastic chips. And can be ordered as blanks so you can customize a label if you so choose. The set @PlayerADK had for sale is beautiful and at a great price! I would love to see it stay together opposed to someone buying the ones and splitting it up

Last edited:

That relabeled set is definitely awesome buddy!!

The 43mm CC Royals are really awesome chips! My good buddy @arch3r has a nice tourney set but has yet to extend an invite to a game with them in play!! lol

The desire to build a high roller set of those is bad!! Especially with the MSK plaques that @Apache has available for that set!! They were way better quality than I expected, really nice weight and clay feel to them... and who doesn't like the Idea of an all 43mm tourney set?? Like BTPs but for us broke people!! LOL

Welcome!

And thanks for admiring my set :) (go ahead and throw this in the out of context thread, as soon as I typed it I knew it would end up there hahaha)

Good luck on your journey! (a never-ending journey, but that's the best part!)

@PokerDots has a really good deal for some circle square chips in the classifieds and he is in Singapore.

Welcome. Where do you live in Spore?

Welcome mate. I have visited Singapore a couple of times and really enjoyed it. Mum and Dad lived there for 5 years next to Great World City.

@Pippa @wolfpack thank you for the recommendation! @PokerDots is awesome, super friendly, and extremely helpful. And now I have fun new chips!
36BF0201-49F8-4991-91E2-08BCE9C3FB79.jpeg

What’s up y’all! I came this way after picking up poker during the COVID-19 shutdown, getting introduced by a buddy who bought a micro stakes set on the PCF classifieds, and watching several Jon Hobby videos when I decided I wanted to get some chips of my own... I’m a total newbie at this stuff, but you seem like decent people and I’m excited to learn. Some irrelevant facts about me:

1. My dad and I beat the Jurassic Park arcade game at Chuck E Cheese when I was a kid. It must have cost at least $20 because we were paying a quarter to keep playing every time we got chomped by a T-Rex.

2. I love dogs, but poodles scare the crap out of me. I feel like they’re way too smart for their own good...

3. My first job was a bagger at a grocery store. Pushing carts in the pouring rain and the sizzling Houston summer wasn’t my fondest of memories, but I’ve always heard being miserable builds character ;)

4. My wife is my everything, and she definitely isn’t standing over my shoulder at this moment.

5. I am a firm believer that no recipe can have too much butter. Or garlic for that matter.

I don’t currently have a debilitating chip addiction, but I look forward to developing one with y’all :cool
Welcome to the addiction. I also couldn't agree more with you regarding butter and garlic.

Hello and welcome! Great first set you got there! Good luck with the addiction!

@CacheCreekCollector Awesome! And thanks! Hopefully I’ll be able to meet up with them after COVID-19 :)

@Grimace I’ve had my new set all of 48 hours and I’m already brainstorming how to add to it... the addiction has started!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom