New Member, Old Chipper looking for something decent for my Kid (1 Viewer)

Nanook

Full House
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I was active years ago on ChipTalk, but it seems as those guys are no longer around. I have plenty of high end chips for now for me, but I have a College age kid that is interested in Poker, but not especially interested in Chips. Another Adult daughter wants to buy him some poker chips for Christmas, but has a pretty low budget like $50 or so. I could be convinced to add a few bucks if there is something that is significantly better than the standard "Clay Chips" seen everywhere. Any advice on the best chips for 10¢/chip up to maybe 30¢/ chip or so would be appreciated.

I know you guys might say get samples or what ever, but I know there won't be time for that and besides I have samples from like 50 different places from way back when. Honestly I don't think he is going to care all that much no matter what I do, but I would appreciate some help. If someone would point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

Hey Guys,
I was active years ago on ChipTalk, but it seems as those guys are no longer around. I have plenty of high end chips for now for me, but I have a College age kid that is interested in Poker, but not especially interested in Chips. Another Adult daughter wants to buy him some poker chips for Christmas, but has a pretty low budget like $50 or so. I could be convinced to add a few bucks if there is something that is significantly better than the standard "Clay Chips" seen everywhere. Any advice on the best chips for 10¢/chip up to maybe 30¢/ chip or so would be appreciated.

I know you guys might say get samples or what ever, but I know there won't be time for that and besides I have samples from like 50 different places from way back when. Honestly I don't think he is going to care all that much no matter what I do, but I would appreciate some help. If someone would point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

That name rings a bell...welcome back

Up his budget a bit (maybe sell a rack of your hi end ;) or at least post some pictures) and order him a Sun-fly PolyInno set
He will love these and imho the best value in the low & midrange (and chipcos)

I remember the name - welcome.

That was an informative OP, but as you know, there are countless variables to deal with. Why not start him off with super cheap, non denominated, indestructible chips that aren't Dice chips and then see how he feels. Your "sample" set could be a playable set of Super Diamonds or the like, and after playing with them, your son will have opinions on the weight, non-denom nature, etc.

Or in this case she could gift him a coupon from one of the fine vendors we have over her ?

Maybe when he is exploring the options, he can decide to add some $$'s or buy cheapo's if he really doesn't care about chips but prefers nice cards and or a topper. Gene from ABC is still the great guy he was back in CT times (and has plenty of choices)

Or in this case she could gift him a coupon from one of the fine vendors we have over her ?

Maybe when he is exploring the options, he can decide to add some $$'s or buy cheapo's if he really doesn't care about chips but prefers nice cards and or a topper. Gene from ABC is still the great guy he was back in CT times (and has plenty of choices)
Thats a great idea.

College age means his friends will make good use of denominations...

+1 slugged plastic with numbers on them.

the low-end clay smith chips aren’t bad for what they cost.

If your budget is that low, I'd look at super diamonds or nexgens. No dice or sluggos (nexgen are slugged but are soft and stack reasonably well). Also I would go non denom. You can seek 8v China clays here, there were a lot out there in your budget, and you can add labels later if you like.

Consider security if he’s serious. Low end chips are easily found, and adventurous college kids might think it’s a funny “joke” to ringer some in.

Hello and welcome back! Are you looking for a tournament set, then? Single table?
Thanks guys for all the great responses! They play really low stakes cash nl.
Welcome. I'm sure you'll find something.. now on to more important matters...

Do you have pictures of these high end chips you speak of?
:whistle: :whistling:
lol do I have pictures...
Of course I have pictures. Lots of sets have come and mostly gone, but I do have a few nice ones left.
At home we play mostly with these. I put together the group buy over at ChipTalk right before Dennis retired from TR King. The chips I am picturing are the set I wound up with - 800 and we mostly use the $1, $5's, $25's & $100's. He is accustomed to playing with these at home, but I know some of his friends have crappy Dice chips. Of course that is what my other daughter was considering when she contacted me looking for advice

I remember the name - welcome.

That was an informative OP, but as you know, there are countless variables to deal with. Why not start him off with super cheap, non denominated, indestructible chips that aren't Dice chips and then see how he feels. Your "sample" set could be a playable set of Super Diamonds or the like, and after playing with them, your son will have opinions on the weight, non-denom nature, etc.
Thanks for the nice welcome!
Yea, I have an old sample set of Super Diamonds, Nexgens and China Clays. I think this sort of chip is going to fit the bill best for for now.
If your budget is that low, I'd look at super diamonds or nexgens. No dice or sluggos (nexgen are slugged but are soft and stack reasonably well). Also I would go non denom. You can seek 8v China clays here, there were a lot out there in your budget, and you can add labels later if you like.
China Clays are nice for the $, but I don't have time to go searching m2m.

Any advice on where to buy Super Diamonds or Nexgens?
Thanks guys

Yea, I have an old sample set of Super Diamonds, Nexgens and China Clays. I think this sort of chip is going to fit the bill best for for now.

Thanks guys
I'll hunt around a little, but this is a situation where a Want ad may suffice since everybody has/has had Super Diamonds.

Thanks guys for all the great responses! They play really low stakes cash nl.

lol do I have pictures...
Of course I have pictures. Lots of sets have come and mostly gone, but I do have a few nice ones left.
At home we play mostly with these. I put together the group buy over at ChipTalk right before Dennis retired from TR King. The chips I am picturing are the set I wound up with - 800 and we mostly use the $1, $5's, $25's & $100's. He is accustomed to playing with these at home, but I know some of his friends have crappy Dice chips. Of course that is what my other daughter was considering when she contacted me looking for advice

Thanks guys
I remember this buy. :wow: And I remember missing it as a lurker. :banghead:

Even though they are 4x the price of the Super Diamonds the Milano's are tempting. I just got out my Sample Set of Super Diamonds and they are just ok and super plain looking. hmmm still pondering. Do you think the Milano's are similar in feel to the Old China Clays? - the good ones? Those always struck me as great weight & feel, just really plain

lol
yea, If I had known what was soon to happen to Dennis and TR King I would have bought A LOT more. I have been kicking myself ever since for not buying a few thousand of the Kings Crown Inlay chips that he had made and were readily available that were similar to the Original Las Vegas Kings Crown Chips

Should have picked up as many of these as he had left:

And the Originals:

I think the milano's are far better than any of the plastic chips, but I liked the palm imports china clays a little better.

Welcome! Wow your chips are awesome! I wish many of us would have been around for that group buy, absolutely beautiful!

I would again recommend the advice given here, super diamonds, milanos, ceramics etc. Maybe something with a bit of individuality to prevent "extras" being snuck in. Non denominated might be a good route for a multi purpose single set, as you can play tournament and cash that way, I would again, just heed the warning to him that not every body will be honest and to be cautious mixing cash and tourney games with the same chips. Even if it is just for fun, some people out there just want to have that extra quarter!

If you find yourself with some spare time over the holidays (I know, too funny!) I think we all would love to see more pictures of your beautiful chip sets. I am always very gracious to see old CT members join here, and still have their prized sets!

Welcome! Wow your chips are awesome!.......
If you find yourself with some spare time over the holidays (I know, too funny!) I think we all would love to see more pictures of your beautiful chip sets. I am always very gracious to see old CT members join here, and still have their prized sets!

Maybe I'll post elsewhere here too, but since I know everyone likes pics of beautiful chips here is the last set I sold just a month or so ago. Strange story....
This guy (he is probably a member here) writes me a letter saying he remembers me from the old days on ChipTalk. I think he may have been part of the group buy or he had bought chips from me way back when or idk, but in any case he had my name and found my address. He says he remembered some pictures of this set and he wondered if I still had it and was inquiring if I might sell. I actually never opened the letter for probably 6 months. I had somehow put the letter into a pile that didn't get opened and it got put aside. I was "cleaning house" and found the letter. Long story short he was still interested and I sold him the set. I wasn't really looking to sell, but I have too many chips and just haven't been into it as much as I used to be and I thought it was a good opportunity to get rid of a few chips.

I probably should have come on here and tried to move them, but what ever... I think we both got a fair deal
This set was picked up off the beaches in Mississippi after hurricane Catrina:

In Case anyone is wondering or cares about the Kings Crown Hot Stamp Chips or the die themselves:

Technically I owned the hot stamps. I have one or two of them, but they are ones that are damaged and no longer usable. The rest went to BCC when Dennis retired. I agreed to this when a few people asked if they could have someone make some add on's for their sets. BCC then folded shop not too long after and I have no idea what happened to the Stamping dies or who might have sets of the Kings Crown chips. Here is a couple pics of what the die looks like. One close up and another next to a Silver Dollar just for reference. I thought some of you might find the die interesting as probably not a lot of you have seen these.

At this point I have no interest in selling mine, but hey who knows maybe at some point ....
At one point I had all the names of everyone that bought these, but it would require a lot of work to find those names as that was a long time ago and many computers ago. Those names were not something I have kept in any sort of data base or anything like that so it would take some forensic searching to find them...

Maybe I'll post elsewhere here too, but since I know everyone likes pics of beautiful chips here is the last set I sold just a month or so ago. Strange story....
This guy (he is probably a member here) writes me a letter saying he remembers me from the old days on ChipTalk. I think he may have been part of the group buy or he had bought chips from me way back when or idk, but in any case he had my name and found my address. He says he remembered some pictures of this set and he wondered if I still had it and was inquiring if I might sell. I actually never opened the letter for probably 6 months. I had somehow put the letter into a pile that didn't get opened and it got put aside. I was "cleaning house" and found the letter. Long story short he was still interested and I sold him the set. I wasn't really looking to sell, but I have too many chips and just haven't been into it as much as I used to be and I thought it was a good opportunity to get rid of a few chips.

I probably should have come on here and tried to move them, but what ever... I think we both got a fair deal
This set was picked up off the beaches in Mississippi after hurricane Catrina:

This would be a good friend of mine. We own a 80 or so of the 25s, I have always wanted a complete set of these. The president's chips are my favorites of the Paulson's. I have one set of primary and a set of secondary.
These are some of the most beautiful chips. I have hopes that one day if our friend ever decides he wants to move these chips we will get an opportunity to purchase them. But I dont have too high of hopes as I know he cherishes them. That barrel of 500s is amazing, truly awesome

This would be a good friend of mine. We own a 80 or so of the 25s, I have always wanted a complete set of these. The president's chips are my favorites of the Paulson's. I have one set of primary and a set of secondary.
These are some of the most beautiful chips. I have hopes that one day if our friend ever decides he wants to move these chips we will get an opportunity to purchase them. But I dont have too high of hopes as I know he cherishes them. That barrel of 500s is amazing, truly awesome
lol...
I hope you guys are enjoying those. I knew even before selling them that I would have a little regret selling them as that is truly 1 of a kind set & hey they are Paulsons. I agree that they are one of the best looking Paulson sets I have seen. I do really like old school and these fit the bill. Another set that is right up there is the Condado Beach Paulsons. At one point I had several hundred of those too, but I was never able to find any $1's so I sort of gave up on them. I sold the last of them (except 2 or 3 of each of course) to your friend as well. Here is a little chip pron of those:

Hey Ray,
I recognize that name....
Its fun to see that some of you old timers are still around!

I am an old timer too...

i am pretty sure you were involved in my original TR King (inlaid) King's Crown group buy from 2+2? or maybe the hotstamp one after that? hard to remember 15+ years later.

i can't believe you own some of the stamps. i would absolutely love to get my hands on one for posterity if you ever want to part with one.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom