New member looking for education (2 Viewers)

pegasus_0135

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hey there. I stumbled across this site going down a rabbit hole one night. I am looking to buy 2 sets for a small game, a nice premade set, then a custom set. We have maybe 6-10 players, $25 buy in with a max 2 buy backs. I'm wondering what a possible breakdown of chips would be, and how many. And I honestly appreciate any feedback. I am ignorant on this subject and need schooled up.

Hey there. I stumbled across this site going down a rabbit hole one night. I am looking to buy 2 sets for a small game, a nice premade set, then a custom set. We have maybe 6-10 players, $25 buy in with a max 2 buy backs. I'm wondering what a possible breakdown of chips would be, and how many. And I honestly appreciate any feedback. I am ignorant on this subject and need schooled up.
This is pretty much the same our crew plays w 25c blinds. My sets are basically:
120 quarters
200 $1
200’ish $5
20-80’ish $20
0-20 $100
... depending on how big of a set I’m looking to build determines if I use more or less of the higher value chips.

You’ll find lots of other opinions out there if you search through some other threads.

Hello and welcome. If you haven't done so already, play around with the search feature. As others have said, there are tons of great resources here on breakdowns etc!

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/search/731002/?q=Breakdown&o=relevance

Heres a link to some threads on the subject. Looks like it's time to start a resource thread for these things! Lol welcome to the forum! What type of customs are you looking for (budget wise)?
For the nice pre-made set, maybe $200-$300. For my custom set, I will go maybe twice that. I personally think a 600 or 750 chip set would hold me. We get together for poker mainly just to hang out, but a nice set of chips may put more focus on the game.

Hello and welcome!

Lots of specific breakdown advice in the Cash and Tournament section. Try and evaluate samples before making a big purchase.
I know there is a ton of information here, and I can't wait to get into it!

For the nice pre-made set, maybe $200-$300. For my custom set, I will go maybe twice that. I personally think a 600 or 750 chip set would hold me. We get together for poker mainly just to hang out, but a nice set of chips may put more focus on the game.

I know there is a ton of information here, and I can't wait to get into it!
I would recommend @BR Pro Poker for custom ceramics

Welcome to the forum @pegasus_0135 , I think we can help with a quick breakdown. Not sure about the limited 2 rebuys in a $25 game but if this is a social friendly game that you are not trying for it ever to be anything more, then I understand. Typically for a $25 buy in I would like to see a nickel chip utilized and play $.05/ $.10 but again your preference! IF going with a $25 set with max 2 rebuys per player then the breakdown is pretty simple. As the game sounds like it plays pretty small I would want sugesest
Initial Buy In: $25
12 x $.25 = $3 x 10 = (120)
17 x $1 = $17 x 10 = (170)
1 x $5 = $5 x 10 = (10)

nothing fancy on the rebuys (I like adding 5 - $1 here for less change making but not necessary)
Rebuys 1 - 20
5 x $5 = $25 x 20 = (100)

Mimimum total set based off OP criteria (120) $.25/ (170) $1/ (110) $5

I would round up to 120/200/180 just so you have a little extra incases someone wants round 3 of rebuys and keep the set even at 400 chips! If you wanted to go with a $.05/$.10 set I would suggest lots of nickels because its fun!! LOL

I would go with this breakdown.
Buy In
15 x $.05 = $.75 x 10 = (150)
13 x $.25 = $3.25 x 10 = (130)
16 x $1 = $16 x 10 = (160)
1 x $5 = $5 x 10 - (10)
Rebuys 1 - 10
5 x $1 = $5 x 10 = (50)
4 x $5 = $20 x 10 = (40)
Rebuys 11 - 20
5 x $5 = $25 x 10 = (50)

total set would be (150) $.05/ (130) $.25/ (210) $1/ (100) $5 … I would probably round to 150/150/200/100 for a 600 chip set here. Remember it doesn't cost that much to add a barrel of $20s or $25s just to future proof the set or be ready for that one night when everyone wants to gamble.

Best of luck on your 2 sets and looking forward to seeing what you go with! As @FordPickup92 I would look at @BR Pro Poker website as you can semi custom order their ceramics in your own chosen denominations, and should be able to keep you within budget!!

If there is ever any way I can help feel free to reach out by PM anytime!!
Fellow Chipper Ben

but a nice set of chips may put more focus on the game.
It won’t. If you’re going to spend money on chips, understand that you’re doing it for yourself. Although a good set of chips can improve a game, most people don’t notice or care.

As far as breakdown goes, people are giving you suggestions for a cash game, but I’m not sure you’re not playing tournaments. When you suggest a fixed buy-in amount and limited re-buys, that screams tournament. If you’re playing a cash game with those limitations, you’re doing it differently than most people do it.

It won’t. If you’re going to spend money on chips, understand that you’re doing it for yourself. Although a good set of chips can improve a game, most people don’t notice or care.

As far as breakdown goes, people are giving you suggestions for a cash game, but I’m not sure you’re not playing tournaments. When you suggest a fixed buy-in amount and limited re-buys, that screams tournament. If you’re playing a cash game with those limitations, you’re doing it differently than most people do it.
didn't even notice that it was a possible tourney set!! Good catch buddy!! I guess like other I just assumed! I agree in a cash set who would want to limit rebuys and kill the action. Plus I would be sitting there with nothing to do after an hour and I went through my 3 buy ins!! LMAO I mean hell the first 2 are just for flips to get some chips on the table before you even start playing!

happy to help with a tourney structure as well @pegasus_0135 although there are hundreds of thread on proper tourney break downs.

Welcome to the forum @pegasus_0135 , I think we can help with a quick breakdown. Not sure about the limited 2 rebuys in a $25 game but if this is a social friendly game that you are not trying for it ever to be anything more, then I understand. Typically for a $25 buy in I would like to see a nickel chip utilized and play $.05/ $.10 but again your preference! IF going with a $25 set with max 2 rebuys per player then the breakdown is pretty simple. As the game sounds like it plays pretty small I would want sugesest
Initial Buy In: $25
12 x $.25 = $3 x 10 = (120)
17 x $1 = $17 x 10 = (170)
1 x $5 = $5 x 10 = (10)

nothing fancy on the rebuys (I like adding 5 - $1 here for less change making but not necessary)
Rebuys 1 - 20
5 x $5 = $25 x 20 = (100)

Mimimum total set based off OP criteria (120) $.25/ (170) $1/ (110) $5

I would round up to 120/200/180 just so you have a little extra incases someone wants round 3 of rebuys and keep the set even at 400 chips! If you wanted to go with a $.05/$.10 set I would suggest lots of nickels because its fun!! LOL

I would go with this breakdown.
Buy In
15 x $.05 = $.75 x 10 = (150)
13 x $.25 = $3.25 x 10 = (130)
16 x $1 = $16 x 10 = (160)
1 x $5 = $5 x 10 - (10)
Rebuys 1 - 10
5 x $1 = $5 x 10 = (50)
4 x $5 = $20 x 10 = (40)
Rebuys 11 - 20
5 x $5 = $25 x 10 = (50)

total set would be (150) $.05/ (130) $.25/ (210) $1/ (100) $5 … I would probably round to 150/150/200/100 for a 600 chip set here. Remember it doesn't cost that much to add a barrel of $20s or $25s just to future proof the set or be ready for that one night when everyone wants to gamble.

Best of luck on your 2 sets and looking forward to seeing what you go with! As @FordPickup92 I would look at @BR Pro Poker website as you can semi custom order their ceramics in your own chosen denominations, and should be able to keep you within budget!!

If there is ever any way I can help feel free to reach out by PM anytime!!
Fellow Chipper Ben
I wanna go ahead and say this - y'all are nothing but helpful here. Being, honestly, just totally ignorant on this whole process, y'all have smacked the easy button on this project. I really appreciate all the help.

didn't even notice that it was a possible tourney set!! Good catch buddy!! I guess like other I just assumed! I agree in a cash set who would want to limit rebuys and kill the action. Plus I would be sitting there with nothing to do after an hour and I went through my 3 buy ins!! LMAO I mean hell the first 2 are just for flips to get some chips on the table before you even start playing!

happy to help with a tourney structure as well @pegasus_0135 although there are hundreds of thread on proper tourney break downs.
I can understand all this. We were limiting buy ins to basically limit time. The host's wife is a nurse, and works early, etc.... But, when we play somewhere else, there really is no time limit. Like at my house, with MY chips, we could play til sun comes up. And our game is really more a social function, but a few are wanting to turn it into more of a set schedule game. I'm all for that, and can't wait to see where it goes.

I wanna go ahead and say this - y'all are nothing but helpful here. Being, honestly, just totally ignorant on this whole process, y'all have smacked the easy button on this project. I really appreciate all the help.

I can understand all this. We were limiting buy ins to basically limit time. The host's wife is a nurse, and works early, etc.... But, when we play somewhere else, there really is no time limit. Like at my house, with MY chips, we could play til sun comes up. And our game is really more a social function, but a few are wanting to turn it into more of a set schedule game. I'm all for that, and can't wait to see where it goes.
In that case I highly recommend adding some $20 or $25 to the top end of your set, if only for the nights that run deep! Will not cost that much more and then you will not have to stress when the bank starts getting low on chips!

Again best of luck and looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Fellow Chipper Ben

There is no magic to chip breakdown when creating a set. Start with your blind structure (for tournaments) or stakes (for cash). Given that, determine a good starting stack, with enough small chips so that constant change making is not necessary, but there are not too many chips in play. Usually 25-40 chips is about right.

Multiply the starting stack by the number of players. Account for rebuys (which is different in a cash game versus a tournament).

Finally, if you are planning for a tournament set, you also need to account for color ups and consider the final chips in play at heads up.

Good luck!

Too much information, too many choices. I was planning to buy a set right now, but there is just too much to design. I think I'm gonna take my time and get it right. I've just got so many ideas on directions I can't make up my mind. Thanks everyone for the help.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom