New Member - Introduction and Check In (1 Viewer)

Ryuzumei

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hi all - new member here from Switzerland. Name is Victor - came across this forum from YouTuber Hobbyphilic.

I just started out with this hobby and am familiar with the group buy concept from the custom keyboard scene. The difference being that you can't create a high end custom keyboard as easily, as you can with do custom chips with CPC (classicpokerchipsDOTcom). All the good stuff is usually handled in time limited group buys.

For me to understand clearly, the reason to participate in a group buy and buy custom made chips for yourself is because they're cheaper instead of going directly to CPC, right?

Also another beginner question, if I'd like to play cash games with max. 8 people and with a starting stack of 50$ and maybe later 100$ what is the ideal chip distribution? Is there a guide out there for this scenario (starting stack of 50$ to 100$). Blinds being 25c/50c and 50c/1$ and max. 1 buy-in or none.

I will do more research and come back with my conclusion.

Thank you for this platform with so much valuable information!

Nice, another Swiss chipper. Welcome!
I would use your preferred start stack as basis for your set.
We play mostly 0,50/1 (Buy in 100and my guys love lots of ones on the table.
For example:
10x0.50
30x1
12x5
For rebuys only larger denom chips needed such as leftover 5s and 25s.
Most people here prefer quarters and more 5s than ones. Ultimately its your preference and best is if you do an excel, share your thoughts and then you‘ll get tons of feedback

Also another beginner question, if I'd like to play cash games with max. 8 people and with a starting stack of 50$ and maybe later 100$ what is the ideal chip distribution? Is there a guide out there for this scenario (starting stack of 50$ to 100$). Blinds being 25c/50c and 50c/1$ and max. 1 buy-in or none.
@Ben8257

Welcome aboard!
Generally speaking group buys are not linked to price discounts through CPC. This method does work with other vendors like Sunfly, BrProPoker, and a few other ceramics/plastics vendors that allow ordering in bulk. CPC is a great option for customs clays though!

Many threads out there for chip break downs @Ryuzumei

I would say the standard breakdown per player in a cash game is (12) $.25 per player (20) $1 (20) $5 (8) $25 (2) $100 so if we applied that to an 8 player table.
(100) - $.25
(160) - $1
(160) - $5
(100) - $25
(20) - $100
would pretty much cover your game

I would round it off a little... 100/200/200/80/20 for a clean 600 chip set... that is if you meant 1 buy in or More instead of or none... you can also use quarters to play $.50/$1 but it is more work and I would recommend adding a single rack of $.50 for that game... also you may want to beef up the $5s if you have any plans of the game stepping up over time as this will be your work horse in the set.

Welcome to the forum and ask lots of questions before pulling the trigger on a full set! As other UK members will tell you, shipping can eat your budget up quick!! IN the US we can buy and sell regularly, many here call it "renting chips" this is not such a luxury overseas. After paying those high shipping cost you will basically be married to your first set for a while...

Fellow Chipper Ben

Hello and welcome! Your follow-up questions just drag you down the rabbit hole!!!

Welcome from a fellow swiss chipper! Where in switzerland are you from? Luzern/kriens here

Welcome from a fellow swiss chipper! Where in switzerland are you from? Luzern/kriens here
Thanks! I'm from Zürich/Unterland

Hello and welcome! Your follow-up questions just drag you down the rabbit hole!!!
Thanks! I know, the rabbit hole is real! Experienced it in the niche tech communities on reddit. Mainly for Keyboards/Mice/Headphones.

But the thing is I really like to get invested deeply into something :)

Many threads out there for chip break downs @Ryuzumei

I would say the standard breakdown per player in a cash game is (12) $.25 per player (20) $1 (20) $5 (8) $25 (2) $100 so if we applied that to an 8 player table.
(100) - $.25
(160) - $1
(160) - $5
(100) - $25
(20) - $100
would pretty much cover your game

I would round it off a little... 100/200/200/80/20 for a clean 600 chip set... that is if you meant 1 buy in or More instead of or none... you can also use quarters to play $.50/$1 but it is more work and I would recommend adding a single rack of $.50 for that game... also you may want to beef up the $5s if you have any plans of the game stepping up over time as this will be your work horse in the set.

Welcome to the forum and ask lots of questions before pulling the trigger on a full set! As other UK members will tell you, shipping can eat your budget up quick!! IN the US we can buy and sell regularly, many here call it "renting chips" this is not such a luxury overseas. After paying those high shipping cost you will basically be married to your first set for a while...

Fellow Chipper Ben
Chip distribution.jpg

So this is the chip distribution I've thrown together for max. 8 players. I didn't use any specific ratio for the chip amount. What do you think of it?

View attachment 606242

So this is the chip distribution I've thrown together for max. 8 players. I didn't use any specific ratio for the chip amount. What do you think of it?
Some people like that many fracs in play for a low stakes game but it promotes lots of limping. I have no issue buying 200 quarters for a set, I even like 160 as you can give a few more out in the early rebuys. But I have learned that too many fracs on the table eventygravitate to one stack, when that guy goes all in it can take a while for a count.

For 8 players 20 each in play is over kill, you really only need about $3 worth per player. We usually give the first few players 20, but the rest just get 8 or so when they join. If you want lots of chips in play it will work but not optimal... really the choice is yours but ai would want more higher value chips so as the game grows in the future or even later into the evening and larger bets are being made you are not counting out piles of fracs and taking up time!!

Buying CPCs is expensive, you can always add on as your game grows but it can take months to get more chips. I really think you would be happy in the long run with 100/200/200/80/20... if you know that you will never need hundos add that extra barrel of fracs 120/200/200/80 for a 600 chip set. I know you are probably thinking I will never get that many $20s in play why waste the money? So absolute max I would go 160/200/200/40 but again that is alot of fracs in play and potentially can slow the game which I think you will see overtime. Again ultimately the decision is yours. but I would want to know my set is ready for whatever the night could throw at it!

I am no pro here, still learning myself but I take notes and pay attention when the veteran forum members that have been doing this for years make comments. I may not always agree but once you spend some time at the table you can see that these comments make sense.

Always glad to share my opinion and best of luck woth the customs buddy!!

Fellow Chipper Ben

Some people like that many fracs in play for a low stakes game but it promotes lots of limping. I have no issue buying 200 quarters for a set, I even like 160 as you can give a few more out in the early rebuys. But I have learned that too many fracs on the table eventygravitate to one stack, when that guy goes all in it can take a while for a count.

For 8 players 20 each in play is over kill, you really only need about $3 worth per player. We usually give the first few players 20, but the rest just get 8 or so when they join. If you want lots of chips in play it will work but not optimal... really the choice is yours but ai would want more higher value chips so as the game grows in the future or even later into the evening and larger bets are being made you are not counting out piles of fracs and taking up time!!

Buying CPCs is expensive, you can always add on as your game grows but it can take months to get more chips. I really think you would be happy in the long run with 100/200/200/80/20... if you know that you will never need hundos add that extra barrel of fracs 120/200/200/80 for a 600 chip set. I know you are probably thinking I will never get that many $20s in play why waste the money? So absolute max I would go 160/200/200/40 but again that is alot of fracs in play and potentially can slow the game which I think you will see overtime. Again ultimately the decision is yours. but I would want to know my set is ready for whatever the night could throw at it!

I am no pro here, still learning myself but I take notes and pay attention when the veteran forum members that have been doing this for years make comments. I may not always agree but once you spend some time at the table you can see that these comments make sense.

Always glad to share my opinion and best of luck woth the customs buddy!!

Fellow Chipper Ben
Thanks for your insight, Ben! I really appreciate your help as I'm just starting with the cash games and have only played without money or a tournament like version were the one with the most chips at the end of the night gets the money.

I understand what you mean with not having too many small denominations. Below is the adjusted table with the 160/200/200/40 chip set which has enough high denominations to grow in the future.

For the 20 buy-in cash game I kept the 0.25 chips at a higher amount because the buy-in is not that high. (Does that make sense?)

For the other two I adjusted it so that there are more 1s and 5s and I removed the 100s completely from all the sets.

Should I remove one 5 from the 50$ and 100$ buy-in (or only from the 100$) and add five more 1s?

Chip distribution NEW.jpg

Another question, if you plan a chip set, for how many people do you plan on top of the usual amount playing? (Usually we are 6 but I planned for 8)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom