New Member interested in chips (1 Viewer)

xpt90

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hey everyone, new to the forum. Deciding on whether to get some china clays or go with something better. I was possibly thinking of getting some blank majestics and labeling them myself. Not sure if I want to spend the money on more expensive chips just yet but it's been interesting reading through the forum; figured I should finally join since I've been reading through.

Welcome! The gospel around here is ”get samples”, and for good reasons, what is a good chip set is all about personal preference. China clays are nice for the price but some like ceramics a lot better which are not that much more expensive. And of course there are clays: paulsons etc. Find out what you prefer before investing in a set.

Samples are not the only path.....jumping in feet first is way more fun. You don’t get extra points for samples. Even 90 of them
It sure is :) I did just that and had a some great mail days, but I also ended up doing a lot of reselling because some of the stuff I bought didn’t quite work out.

Welcome aboard, new here too. Have collected a decent set of samples, at least as far as CC - Ceramics - Paulson Clay - some Plastics.

Think this is the best available move right now: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/the-prestige-group-buy-starting-now-12-jun-2020.56998/ Best bang for your buck, with some semi-customization. The 43mm size is a really nice feel. Colors look great.

If you are impatient like me, this place can be a bit of a nightmare. Ideally I'd buy some clay chips, but really hard to get them all at once, with nice coloring, and patterns. In my case, as I am looking for a smaller set (400-600), think I am resigned to buying more than I want, and selling off the excess. Prices can appear to be all over the place, so take some time getting familiar with them.

Piles of helpful people here, have had great luck sending PMs to Members, have had less than great luck PMing "For Sale" items anything more than a month old though.

I strongly urge you to get samples. I was in the same scenario when I started here on PCF months ago. I thought a nice china clays (not cheap Milanos but a nice one) and custom labels would be perfect. Then I scouted out prices. A nice china clay and custom labels cost wise put me right smack in ceramics territory. Once I got samples, I knew what decision to make for me. As you can see here https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/gene-kristil-micro-stakes-magic.53333/#post-1014678 ceramics won the war for me. Your opinion may be different than mine. Just get samples and make sure you spend your money smartly. You can burn threw a lot of cash buying something that isn't quite right for you.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. I had some milanos that I sold to a friend of mine. They were decent, not great but definitely better than the plastic chips that are readily available. I may just get some majestics and put some custom labels on it. Price wise, wife won't exactly allow me to shell out too much cash, even though it's coming from my bankroll

Welcome aboard, new here too. Have collected a decent set of samples, at least as far as CC - Ceramics - Paulson Clay - some Plastics.

Think this is the best available move right now: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/the-prestige-group-buy-starting-now-12-jun-2020.56998/ Best bang for your buck, with some semi-customization. The 43mm size is a really nice feel. Colors look great.

If you are impatient like me, this place can be a bit of a nightmare. Ideally I'd buy some clay chips, but really hard to get them all at once, with nice coloring, and patterns. In my case, as I am looking for a smaller set (400-600), think I am resigned to buying more than I want, and selling off the excess. Prices can appear to be all over the place, so take some time getting familiar with them.

Piles of helpful people here, have had great luck sending PMs to Members, have had less than great luck PMing "For Sale" items anything more than a month old though.

Thanks for the heads up. Are these ceramics? I've handled some ceramics before and didn't exactly love the feel. Will definitely keep them in mind.

If you’re considering Majestic I would look at the 43mm Royals from Apache. Awesome chips for the price. I own a tournament set myself and couldn’t be happier with them.

Samples are not the only path.....jumping in feet first is way more fun. You don’t get extra points for samples. Even 90 of them
So wait! You're saying I'm NOT supposed to get samples first??? :banghead:

Oh, sorry. Welcome to the group! Get samples first!

20200612_012930.jpg

Welcome fellow Californian. There's quite a few NorCal and SoCal chipper home games. So when the home games finally start up again, it'll be a great way of checking out different chips types and quality. Also there might be a bunch of samples that are either free or low cost to newbies floating around. Keep an eye out for that to get samples cheap. Good luck

Thanks for the heads up. Are these ceramics? I've handled some ceramics before and didn't exactly love the feel. Will definitely keep them in mind.

They are a hybrid. Unfortunately, the Group Buy closes today' so not much time to think about it. Having said that, it seems to me there are continual Group Buys going on, so other opportunities will come up. These have totally grown on me though since the in the wild pictures released.

Welcome! Definitely get samples, and if you can try out the traveling loan samples get a feel for some paulsons and others!!

Well, ended up grabbing some blank majestics and probably could have gotten the royal blanks. I was generally fine with milanos, knowing they aren't that great but am settling for a cheaper option for now. Maybe I'll upgrade or add some better quality chips later on. I still have to work on building my bankroll before I use it on higher quality chips. Hopefully some paulsons in the future or possible others. Thanks for the help everyone, I'll keep an eye out for promotions and grab some more samples.

What's the best method to clean the "manufacturing" dust off of these majestics? mineral oil and water?

What's the best method to clean the "manufacturing" dust off of these majestics? mineral oil and water?
Damp towel/rag, maybe a light amount of soap, ie one drop
The sticker labels on the majestics (assuming china clay) will risk coming unstuck with too much water or oil

I recently got a set of Milanos which I have been oiling gradually. I get a soft white cloth, put it over the bottle of mineral oil and invert so there is a dab of oil on the cloth from the inversion. I then simply put a chip face down on the cloth, rub it around in circular motion a few times, flip it over and do the same. Then I 'sand the edges' against the cloth and that's it. Seems to work pretty well.

Like yourself I'm going for a 'cheaper set' with more chips to start and see how my games go before going for a smaller set of nicer chips. I'm eyeing a set of 300 ceramics or possibly customs for my next set to cater to 6-8 players.

Thanks for the input. I read through a few threads and went a different route. Probably not the best but copied the instructions from Apache for how to oil chips. I used a big bucket with warm water and a few tablespoons of mineral oil. That allowed all the chips to get oiled after some stirring. I then wiped them down with a dry towel. They came out pretty good. Definitely don't have that manufacturing dust on them anymore.

Got new labels for the chips made with my brother's help. I'll post a couple pics later of the set. Ended up making some cali rounders labels.

Here's a couple pics of the new labels on the chips.

Attachments

• IMG_20200621_192957.jpg
    IMG_20200621_192957.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_20200621_193130.jpg
    IMG_20200621_193130.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 74
Got new labels for the chips made with my brother's help. I'll post a couple pics later of the set. Ended up making some cali rounders labels.
Did you do these yourself? Where did you get the labels? I'm planning to order from onlinelabels.com this week for my DIY label attempt.

Did you do these yourself? Where did you get the labels? I'm planning to order from onlinelabels.com this week for my DIY label attempt.

Ordered some glossy 1" labels from amazon. Had my brother help me with the labels since he's a graphic designer. The labels came with their own template/site to download the template. It's only a word doc but we converted it to pdf and used illustrator to make the labels.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom