New Member - Hooked Already, Working on Custom Designs (1 Viewer)

TheLemursReturn

3 of a Kind
Supporter Plus
Reaction score
[This is a bit of a wall of text but I think I've noticed that you all don't mind that much here. Thanks for having me!]

I've enjoyed casual poker since I was a kid. Kicked off my first home league a few months ago. Realized that I love going DEEP into the rabbit holes of chip breakdowns, tournament structures, best playing cards etc etc. I've been pouring at least ~40h per month into researching, watching YouTube, spreadsheeting my numbers, and fooling around with custom chip design ideas.

Yes - as soon as I realized custom chips are a thing, the quest began. It will take me several more months to finalize designs, save up the scratch (I really need to cash in my league - fingers crossed), and place the actual order. But I'm here now to begin that process and get input from all you fine folks.

As a newbie, I don't think I can post any designs yet. But here's my latest the plan in text form:

I want to tread the very fine line between classic and playful. It won't be easy and I might fail. The Super Poker World chips caught my eye and I'll be taking some cues from there. But I want to weave in some more classic elements like traditional edge spots, a molded chip, and bright-but-pastely colors.

The theme will be something like "Extremely Iconic Icons". I want a character/logo/icon for each chip that everyone from grandpa to grandkid will instantly recognize. Think Batman, Pepsi, Pacman, Bugs Bunny, etc. Mario would also fit the bill, but I don't want to steal too much from the other set. Other Nintendo characters would generally NOT fit the bill, because I'm looking for the most iconic of all icons. My dad would not know who Koopa Troopa is.

Each icon also needs to pass my own "exciting" test. Athletes, sports teams, and bands tend to fail that test.

Some might say this theme will lack any form of consistency. The variety may just confuse people. And that might be true. But I want to try anyway.

When it comes to manufacturing, CPC seems a little too expensive and somehow *too* classic. It would also be tough to bring these icons to life with CPC's limited color pallette.

I was set on BR Pro Poker for awhile. But I got some Tiki samples and to be honest, the totally flat surface and the rounded edges made them feel decidedly NOT classic.

So I'm thinking I might give Tina a shot next, since she has a mold and unlimited printing capabilities across the whole chip (I think, right?). I spent many hours here trying to find out who the hell Tina was and was completely stumped. I decided to try my hand at the best-looking Alibaba vendor I could find and when I clicked the "Chat" button, I finally got it.

Anyway, please wish me luck! I'm excited to post some first drafts in a few days.

I think the cards mold chips from Tina have even more rounded edges than the ceramics from BRPro….and they’re also smoother (slightly less “sandpaper” texture) than BRPro as well.
All ceramics can print custom art full-face and on the edges.
Good luck in your search and get lots of samples!

I think the cards mold chips from Tina have even more rounded edges than the ceramics from BRPro

Good luck in your search and get lots of samples!

In my mind, the pics in this thread suggest otherwise.

The Tina chips and BR chips are clearly the same height when stacked, but a single BR chip appears much thinner than the adjacent Tina chip. I would figure that's due to edge rounding. But you're right, samples are the way to go.

Tina can provide prototypes, right? Anyone happen to know about how much those run?

Hello and welcome!

There should be something to tie the whole set together. Otherwise they will be a bunch of chips that just happen to be on the table at the same time.

Hello and welcome!

There should be something to tie the whole set together. Otherwise they will be a bunch of chips that just happen to be on the table at the same time.
Totally agree. Certain shapes or patterns at the very least. Would love to hear ideas if anyone has them. But of course we'll all dig into that when the mockups come along too.

In my mind, the pics in this thread suggest otherwise.
You do know most of the people replying have sets and arnt using pics....

This is why we say to buy samples always instead of using visual images to figure this stuff out. There isn't a way to really translate things well unless you have the chips in your hands and can judge them for yourself.

Buy samples of everything, and play with them for a few weeks. You'll figure out what you like.

You do know most of the people replying have sets and arnt using pics....

This is why we say to buy samples always instead of using visual images to figure this stuff out. There isn't a way to really translate things well unless you have the chips in your hands and can judge them for yourself.

Buy samples of everything, and play with them for a few weeks. You'll figure out what you like.
Makes total sense. Definitely will do!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom