New member from Nantucket, Massachusetts (1 Viewer)

grindstone

Waiting List
Reaction score
Hello everyone, new member joining. I've been looking at upgrading my chip collection for over a decade. I come at the poker chip world through a different lens as I'm a eurogamer/board game lover who uses chips in strategy games. I'm sure there are dozens of us on here (dozens!). I've had a few different low end sets of chips since coming into my first stash of dice chips at a yard sale in the mid 2000's. While they have served me well enough, I'm sick of the slipperiness. In addition to upgrading the set, I'm also looking to craft my own labels reflecting themes from the island where I live (whales, lighthouses, seals, jeeps stuck in the sand, etc). Over the coming weeks I'm hoping to pick some people's brains on design and crafting suggestions for customizing a home set. Looking forward to learning all that you can teach me!

welcome from the mainland! i also enjoy eurogames/board games (especially 18xx) and am a chip snob because of my love of poker. beware of this rabbit hole!

Hello and welcome!

There were some chips made for use with 18XX railroad games that you may want to check out.
I've been getting sample chips from apache and others. Love the "bank chips" and I may go with them, but right now I'm considering making my own labels for their majestic CC's. Of course, I'm also waiting on some samples from CPC, that may end up costing me a pretty penny!

Welcome to PCF, ceramic or card mold seem like your option depending on your budget
I've been liking the ceramics, but I can see myself making my own sticker labels for any of the blank CC style chips. However, I'm not familiar with "card mold" chips, so will be looking into this one.

welcome from the mainland! i also enjoy eurogames/board games (especially 18xx) and am a chip snob because of my love of poker. beware of this rabbit hole!
You nailed it, it's the 18xx series that has finally pushed me over the edge to pick up some good chips. I've been playing age of steam with my dice chips for more than a decade, and they were sufficient if underwhelming, but the amount of transactions required for a stock game brings me to a whole new level. Maybe I'll see you at totalcon this winter!

Welcome to PCF. I was on your beautiful island two weeks ago. First time there. What an amazing place! Never expected there to be chipper on the island.

You nailed it, it's the 18xx series that has finally pushed me over the edge to pick up some good chips. I've been playing age of steam with my dice chips for more than a decade, and they were sufficient if underwhelming, but the amount of transactions required for a stock game brings me to a whole new level. Maybe I'll see you at totalcon this winter!

that's great! i love age of steam, actually possibly more than 18xx. i just don't get to play it anywhere near as often - 18xx.games has spoiled me.

oh, and since 18xx is your thing, i would be remiss to not share my favorite custom sample set i own (i want to give credit, but it appears the creator may have deleted his account):

20200901_145816.jpg

Last edited:
i've had these in the back of my mind as 18xx chips for a while now, but it's not something i will probably ever pull the trigger on:

fcfcfbe1-3efd-4137-a3c8-2dc9c9aee1d4.png

that's great! i love age of steam, actually possibly more than 18xx. i just don't get to play it anywhere near as often - 18xx.games has spoiled me.

oh, and since 18xx is your thing, i would be remiss to not share my favorite custom sample set i own (i want to give credit, but it appears the creator may have deleted his account):

View attachment 789289
Apparently, I can only "like" that post one time. It deserves a lot more than 1 like from me. Those are beautiful!

Welcome!

We just came back from Nantucket. Go every year. Here’s a pic from Madaket Beach (our favorite place). I’m curious to see where you go with your Nantucket themed custom labels. I was considering doing the same but it never came to be.

5E648B4C-ED10-4A91-98D1-A844EEA5F6B6.jpeg

Welcome!

We just came back from Nantucket. Go every year. Here’s a pic from Madaket Beach (our favorite place). I’m curious to see where you go with your Nantucket themed custom labels. I was considering doing the same but it never came to be.

View attachment 789556

Thanks for the well wishes and I was just out scalloping in Madaket harbor this weekend! I plan on starting a thread in the mockup/design forum soon to post my prototype chip designs pics and elicit feedback, but briefly: I live on island year round, and my experience of the island is likely different than those who experience it solely in the summer. To me, whale bones/teeth, jeeps stuck in the sand, springtime daffodils, shucking scallops, and (yes) nantucket red pants are themes i'm exploring. I would really like to do something to represent the fog which is ubiquitous here 9 months out of the year, but i have no idea how to get that shrunk down and still recognizable on a 1 inch graphic. If I wanted to make a more marketable set (I don't) I would choose sailboats, lighthouses, lightship baskets, adirondack chairs on the beach, and the car-ferry. Lovely yes, but not true to my experience having lived here 12 months per year for coming up on 4 years.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom