New member and first table build (1 Viewer)

MickM

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hello all,
My name is Mickm, I am new to the group. I've been reading everything I could on building a poker table. Now it's time to dip my toe in the water and see if I can pull out a descent poker table.
First thing is to decide exactly what I want in a table and the second thing is what I don't.
First, I want a table that will have adequate space for 8 to sit and play comfortably. No shoulder to shoulder issues.
I want a 3/4" raised rail with aluminum facia, and no lighting or racetrack.
I want a double a post, two footed base painted black.
A 1" padded rail covered with black vinyl.
And lastly I want cup holders that are able to be removed when not needed.
All advice will be appreciated. I admit his is my first attempt at building a descent poker table.
So, with our list laid out, let's get started....

Stopped in my local GoodWill store to set up a date and time to have some furniture I want to let go picked up.
To my surprise there sat a very nice 96" x 44" boated shaped conference table.
They agreed to deliver it when they came to get my donations.
Here it is upside down with the original legs discarded.
20220318_100548.jpg

After making many visits to many different reclaimed, donation stores, a pair of suitable legs were procured.
20220321_165654.jpg

After laying out the end circles so they are tangent with the bow of the table, the undesired material was routed away
20220319_112807.jpg

After doing all 4 corners and doing even more reading I came to the conclusion I wanted to shorten the table to 84" . This meant redoing everything I had already done.
I really like the shape and the length.
20220321_170257.jpg

I purchased 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood.
The first was screwed to the conference table top and the outer shape copied using a router.
Next a 5" ring was laid out and the inner oval removed in the same method as the outside.
The second sheet was cut in the same fashion as the first.
20220325_161320.jpg

Now the legs are lengthened and a piece of 1"x 6" is cut to length.
Next they get two coats of black paint
20220322_173109.jpg

This is where I am now. The legs are replaced on the table and the two oval rings are in position.
I bought 2-1/8" x 3/4" x 96" aluminum strips. You can see them cut and clamped in position. These will get secured to the lower 3/4" ply oval by either chrome furniture nails or 10/24 countersink wood screws. I haven't decided which yet.
I have table and riser foam, speed cloth and decorative nails ordered.
I'll post more when they get here and I can get back to making progress.

20220326_162515.jpg

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement.
Decided to buy some Loctite PL3 Construction adhesive from Lowe's for setting the 3/4" aluminum rail. While I do want to add decorative nails to the lower aluminum skirt, I want the playing rail to be free and clean.
Got one end of the table fitted with the 1/8" x .75" aluminum strip glued and clamped in place.
Will do the other end tomorrow evening.
Thanks for looking....

Attachments

• 20220327_162612.jpg
    20220327_162612.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 101
Stonker,
Thanks for the kind words. Actually, when I first started my research, I saw the conference table then found your two build articles. Your two projects are what got me going in this direction, so thank you.
As for the cars, these are my main interest. One is a pro toured 1972 Plymouth 'Cuda, I built. The other is an all steel 1933 Ford 3window coupe. I am in the process if building it now.

Looks great. My last two builds started as conference room tables.
Why are we not talking about the cars in the other bays? So jealous!

Was gonna comment on the cars myself!

Stonker,
Thanks for the kind words. Actually, when I first started my research, I saw the conference table then found your two build articles. Your two projects are what got me going in this direction, so thank you.
As for the cars, these are my main interest. One is a pro toured 1972 Plymouth 'Cuda, I built. The other is an all steel 1933 Ford 3window coupe. I am in the process if building it now.

Those early ‘70s ’Cudas are among my favorite muscle cars…very nice!

Red

Back on the table today. Used Loctite super construction adhesive to attach the 3/4" aluminum riser. Had to do it in two sessions. Removed all the clamps today and sanded/scotchbright all the odd marks and scratches away until a nice bright satin finish is left.
Before you ask, it's a 3d printed German submarine rc model behind the table ring. Lol

Attachments

• 20220330_134107.jpg
    20220330_134107.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 109
Next I laid the speedcloth over the table. It has been folder so there are creases in it. I wrapped each side and clamped an effort to pull out the creases.
Now, I have a question.......
I assume I will glue the speed cloth to the foam??? What is the best method to get all creases, wrinkles out....iron, steam, roll?
Playing in a tournament tomorrow so the table will sit until Friday then I'll get to finishing up.
Any advice at the point would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20220330_163400.jpg
    20220330_163400.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 102
Ok, moving forward. I have received my 1/4" and have it in place. I used a steam iron and easily removed all wrinkling from the speed cloth.
After all was mounted, I used an ice pick to push holes thru the foam and speed cloth that are used to attack bolts from beneath the bottom and secure the rail.
After the holes are punched thru, i use a soldering iron, with a round pointed tip, to open the holes to the proper size. This also kills the edge if the speed cloth so it cant unravel around the edges.
I glued the speed cloth down around the edges of the table and ran the soldering iron alon the edge.
Will start drilling bottom aluminum pieces and nail it the the lower section after rail is covered.
That's all for now...

Attachments

• 20220331_143554.jpg
    20220331_143554.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 20220331_143559.jpg
    20220331_143559.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 20220331_143304.jpg
    20220331_143304.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 117
Great job on the table. I built my own as well, so I know how satisfying it is to you to see the progress.
I love the pedestal table legs.
ENJOY

Thanks for the kind words guys. They are appreciated.
I am in the middle of final covering of
I am learning as I'm going . And this is what I now know. You need five things.
1. An electric knife to cut the foam smoothly.
2. 3m Auto headliner adhesive. This stuff is unbelievable!!!
3. A good steam iron and damn cloth.
4. A good air stapler
5. A large bottle of Captain Morgan, Cokes and limes....
Oh and lots of patients....and a few

Attachments

• 20220403_144451.jpg
    20220403_144451.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 152
  • 20220403_172937.jpg
    20220403_172937.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 149
Look nice job on the table, we NEED picks of whats in the same bay as the table, the 'Resale Red' or Cherry Red car, WTF IS THAT?!!!! (I mean I KNOW what it is, but..)

Thanks for the kind words. There is a saying, " He who dies with the most toys wins"....I may not win but, I think I'm in the running. Lol
The red car is a ProToured 1972 Plymouth 'Cuda.

OH BARACUDA!!!! Such a great tease photo :sneaky:

Getting closer now. I can see light at the end of the tunnel....I just hope it's not the train, lol.
20220404_163817.jpg
finished stapeling the leather on the rail.
Turned the rail over and secured loosely with the 1/4-20x3" bolts.
Started adding the rails aluminum lower trim with the decorative nails.
Used two 8' pieces that will leave a short piece on the front and back to complete.
I am a long term Covid survivor so I run out of gas very quickly so this is all for today.
20220404_170157.jpg

Hope to finish it up Wednesday so I can take it all apart and reassemble in my poker room.lol
Thanks for following along.......

I have now completed my table project. Well almost....lol
This is the finished product.....
20220408_093956.jpg

I still have to finish the cup holders. These are 3d printed in black ABS. There will be one between each player. That way they can be either right or left handed.
The mount is attached to the bottom of the table and virtually unnoticeable.
20220408_093815.jpg

Here is all that can be seen.....

20220408_093806.jpg

Thanks for watching.....May all your hands be full and your pots large......

Nice work, it's great to build things from scratch if you have the tools, patience and some handyman skills

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom