New inlay shape available (1 Viewer)

David Spragg

Flush
Site Vendor
Reaction score
We now have the following inlay shape - CLOVER - available for molds accepting 7/8 inlays.
This is the last inlay shape for which a punch exists so every shape is now available. It falls into the 60c price band.
I have added it to the website and it will be added to the chip tool at the next update.
clover.jpg

Oh.. I like that a lot! (y) :thumbsup:

Any chance of getting the sawtooth shaped inlay ?

Impossible on several counts.
We don't own one and never have.
That size would not fit any of our chips.
You can't just create a new inlay shape, that is as costly as a new mold.

Impossible on several counts.
We don't own one and never have.
That size would not fit any of our chips.
You can't just create a new inlay shape, that is as costly as a new mold.

Like other CPC procedures, I had no idea it was so complicated. Thanks for everything you do offer.

Like other CPC procedures, I had no idea it was so complicated. Thanks for everything you do offer.

Not always easy to explain unless you see the equipment involved. Ignoring the equipment for the inlay shape itself you have to consider the slug (blank) that has to be produced as the first stage. It has a recess the correct size for the inlay. So we have molds that produce blanks with recesses of 7/8, 1 inch, 1-1/16. Now lets just say the sawtooth inlay is 0.9 inch.
It might easily be thought that you could just use a 1 inch blank. However, aside from the fact the inlay has nothing to keep it in place (central) you have a small 'void' left around it and not enough clay to fill that void when you press it. Ok, make the clay a tiny bit thicker. Inlay still moves about, excess clay flows over the edge of the inlay on some, flows out on others. Finished chips have a big variation in thickness and the inlays are all off center. You get the idea.

We have lots and lots of equipment but it is not 'multi-function'. Most of the things we have introduced over the past 18 months have just been things which were out of action for some time (in cases up to 25 years!).

Holy crap. Sometimes I dunno how you guys don't end up with 90% scrap rates, given the 'it depends' aspect of it all. Everything is so ~complicated~....

But please don't ever stop trying. Lots of love and respect for what y'all do.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom