New here - not a heavy poker player, but use chips for board games (1 Viewer)

bachismyhero

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a sysadmin / developer, church musician, husband and dad from Georgia (in the middle of nowhere), USA, and I have only more recently gotten into chips / started looking to acquire and expand existing sets because I began to get into more serious boardgaming - especially heavier economic modern games / 18xx. I've read posts as a lurker here for a year or two but never joined. Just wanted to introduce myself. :)

Hello and welcome. I've seen so many posts about 18xx that I think I'm going to have to learn it, anything that brings together friends and allows me to use my beautiful poker chips can't be bad.

18xx is by far my favorite game 'system'. The games are quite deep, non-random (all player decision), and reward multiple plays and exploration of the decision space. The only major downside is that many of them take a fairly long time to play, even when you're more experienced.

18xx is by far my favorite game 'system'. The games are quite deep, non-random (all player decision), and reward multiple plays and exploration of the decision space. The only major downside is that many of them take a fairly long time to play, even when you're more experienced.
Do you have any advice on how someone can/should get started learning it?

Do you have any advice on how someone can/should get started learning it?

Honestly, the best way is to find a group that meets somewhere near you, get in touch with them, and tell them you want to learn. They can set up a game to teach you (and possibly others) and you will pick up a great deal more about how the games are actually played in that environment than by just picking up a game and trying it blind with other friends who haven't played before.

You can learn the gist of how these games work here: (still the best video after these years for a summary)

You might be able to find groups of people playing near you via BoardGameGeek; there is also an 18xx Slack channel where you could ask around (I can post an invite if you're interested). You can watch a live play of 1889 with a brief teach here - played by experienced players - and get an idea of how things go:

If you're savvy enough with computers to grab DOSBox and look up some things via Google, you can get a flavor for how the games work playing against an AI using the 1990's "1830" PC game. (You can find the files for that on abandonware sites.)

If you have exhausted all the options for local play, there are also some online platforms that I use all the time (I'm in 6 or 7 concurrent async games right now). The downside of those is that I think it's harder to learn the systems and mechanics for the first time that way. But that's also something I (and the community) can help you get into if you're interested.

The most-recommended titles to play first are usually 1830, 1889, and 1846. I recommend one of the first two (or 18Chesapeake when it's finally published and more widely available later this year - it's designed to be a somewhat shorter learning game that still has all the flavor and a lot of the edges of the 1830-like games).

I'm happy to answer questions you might have about this... it's kind of a lot to get into at first but there is a community out there (including myself, of course) that can help you with it.

Yep 1889 is what I would recommend as a starter game as well. Cmon GMT print it!

Welcome bach. You can spend as much on poker chips for board games as your heart desires, trust me!

Hell Yeah

71EA5C73-0793-49C8-806E-6930D0615D55.jpeg

6849BA68-5780-4B3A-8129-29CF6E1A3186.jpeg

E530E13A-FA91-4EF3-84F8-7EA4E56C59D9.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom