New guy from Upstate NY (1 Viewer)

RackCity

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hello chip aficionados. New member here from Upstate NY (very close to Albany). I've been playing poker for about 17 years. But, in terms of poker chips I really only know the basics. I currently have two sets. A set of 500 of your typical starter dice chips, and a set of 1000 of the 14g slug filled Monte Carlo Millions tournament chips. Both sets are easily 10 years old.

I have recently bought a new house and now have plenty of room to host poker games. This has led me to looking for a new tournament set. Holy cow am I overwhelmed. So many beautiful chips and color combinations. And honestly, I even like a lot of the sets that you'd find with your typical google search.

I think the plan as of now, is to find myself a good set of Roulette chips. I like the versatility of being able to use one set for a tournament, and also for cash games if I so choose. I also like the feel that your typical roulette chip has. Not the light clay type that looks like the interlocking cheap plastic chips, but the hard (plastic? ceramic?) type that have the "white striped edging". This has proven slightly difficult. But, perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places. I saw that Jim @ thechiproom sold some "Jack" roulette chips. The ones with the black inlays. Those are almost exactly what I'm looking for. I love the bright, vibrant colors.

So I'll keep digging around the forums and the interwebs looking for a good "starter" set. But I already have the feeling that I won't stop at just one set lol. If anyone could point me in the direction of somewhere I could buy a complete roulette set, or a member on the site who maybe specializes in roulette chips I'd be extremely grateful. Thanks.

Edit

I should mention that the solid roulette chips are starting to grow on me. I've seen some old posts and some solid (THC?) roulette chips that are hot stamped, and they look fantastic. Just absolutely love some of the colors. I'm a sucker for the bright fluorescent colors like your lime greens, sky blues, hot pinks, canary yellow etc. Not sure why I seemed so closed off to the idea in my OP. But upon further investigation I don't think I'll be too picky :D

Welcome… I’m nearby in Columbia County. Have you been back to Rivers since the poker room reopened? I haven’t… I figure it will be a while until their dealers get up to snuff.

I like the versatility of being able to use one set for a tournament, and also for cash games if I so choose.

The downside, of course, is that chips could in theory be pocketed from a tourney and used at another time in cash.

Four green T25 chips have relatively little value in a tourney, especially just before a color-up break; if you also use those as $25 chips in cash, they are now worth $100.

As a host, I did for a time have one set which functioned for both tourneys and cash. Since I had known all my players for years, it was never an issue. Plus, MOAR chips better, etc.

But as one adds new players, and people’s personal situations sometimes take unexpected turns, I think it is a wise security measure even among good friends. (It did not involve chips, but we did once catch and expel a longtime regular who was caught cheating, by previewing and manipulating decks during his shuffles. Shocking to all of us. Point being, you never really know about people.)

So I did finally get a second set —and a third, and a fourth, and a fifth—so we could start a cash game separately after some players busted from the tourney.

Hello and welcome!

There are lots of choices when it comes to roulette chips. Various styles of real clay like Paulson, and some of high end plastic like Bud Jones. Get to know them all!

The downside, of course, is that chips could in theory be pocketed from a tourney and used at another time in cash.

Four green T25 chips have relatively little value in a tourney, especially just before a color-up break; if you also use those as $25 chips in cash, they are now worth $100.

As a host, I did for a time have one set which functioned for both tourneys and cash. Since I had known all my players for years, it was never an issue. Plus, MOAR chips better, etc.

But as one adds new players, and people’s personal situations sometimes take unexpected turns, I think it is a wise security measure even among good friends. (It did not involve chips, but we did once catch and expel a longtime regular who was caught cheating, by previewing and manipulating decks during his shuffles. Shocking to all of us. Point being, you never really know about people.)

So I did finally get a second set —and a third, and a fourth, and a fifth—so we could start a cash game separately after some players busted from the tourney.
I actually grew up in Stephentown, so I'm very familiar with Columbia County being right next door. Who knows, maybe we've even played against each other before? I try to make it to the monthly game in Stuyvesant if I'm able to.

I've been to Rivers 2 or 3x since the re-open. Dealers are great. A lot of the same familiar faces are back. $8 rake is awful, but what choice is there really?

In terms of chip security I totally agree. The plan is to eventually have multiple sets. I obviously trust everyone that will be playing at my home, but agree that temptation will always be there. I might just count my chips at the end of each game until I can get multiple sets.

Good to see some local people here on the forum. Poker in the Hudson Valley and Berkshires is alive and well.

Hello and welcome!

There are lots of choices when it comes to roulette chips. Various styles of real clay like Paulson, and some of high end plastic like Bud Jones. Get to know them all!
I am slowly getting there! So much to learn!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom