New found Empathy & Respect for chip collectors & set builders (1 Viewer)

BirdCage

Flush
Reaction score
Just a quick shout-out to all chip collectors and set builders - I feel your pain! I now understand first-hand how much research, hope, despair, reward, patience, appreciation, angst and commitment goes into trying to do something unique in the chip world. What a process! It's great to have support from PCF. I'll say no more, except hats off to all of you and much respect.

Set building, whether looking to fully customize, or acquire something that's in limited quantity and circulation, is an exercise in patience and restraint mixed in with constant evaluation and re-evaluation and fund management. Markets, both chipping and otherwise, will often punish the naïve, the desperate, and the impatient. Collections are very rarely built in a day, unless you have all the money and not another care in the world.

Designing and ordering customs from a source that takes custom orders should be a long and well-thought process anyway, but it engenders only one tenth of the stress, anxiety, despair, frustration and agony (and, possibly, financial @ss-bleeding) of finding and buying desirable existing chips in playable quantities.

I did the latter twice; won't do it again. Just can't. Verges on the suicidical if you 're not North-America based, too (ie with the privilege of cath-and-release). :)

Thanks @BirdCage. Welcome to PCF. I can totally relate to your post. What sets or chips have made you 'feel our pain'?

One tip that has allowed me to build some cool sets over the years -- mint, new chips are awesome too, but I've learned to like and appreciate used, worn, chips almost as much. Used chips are unique, and may sometimes be more readily available or obtainable, and at lower costs, because in general, there's more demand for mint or new chips.

Thought you might be interested to hear the backstory on one (now two) of the sets I've built:
https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/california-bell-club-pr0n.13553/#post-797254

I had to laugh at this a while back, I’d really like to know where these shelves are...

I don't think any semi customs (re labels) should ever qualify in the HOF. You buy racks of chips that are already available. You're choosing off the shelf, rather than creating something from scratch. Worlds apart from having to create labels PLUS choose colors/edge marks. It's like half the work.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom