New chipper - cash game denom breakdown (1 Viewer)

gmansbu

Pair
Reaction score
So I’m a new chipper and starting to collect sets of chips. Besides collecting id like to use the chips for my home cash game. We play with 7-10 guys. Everyone buys in $100-$200 with rebuys through the night. We play $1/$2 hold ‘em and other 7 card poker games. What denoms and quantities to do suggest? For collecting purposes I can get whatever. I just want to make sure I’m getting enough “core” chips for the home game.

Secondary question, if guys are buying in at $200 for example. What chip breakdown would you give them at the start? Again, all cash - no tourney.

200-1s
400-5s minimum
80- 25s
20- 100s

6K+ bank. Add more 100s if needed

200 buy in for 10 guys?

20 1s each
36 5s to start

Rebuy stacks using 25s after getting all your 5s on the table

Also:
$100-200 including rebuys per player per night seems awfully shallow for a $1/2 game. Maybe think about dropping the stakes at least down to a .50/1 game so you guys get more play out of your money.
I’m thinking since the last question in the OP was about what chip breakdown to give for a $200 buy-in that the $100-$200 is just the initial buy in, not the total amount per player for the night.

In which case, if 7-10 players all buy in 2-3 times at $200 (of course since it’s zero sum, the winning players for the night will only buy in once or twice but some unlucky players might be in 4-5 times, thus averaging out), then @slisk250’s suggested breakdown w/6k+ bank should accommodate.

I personally don’t like to have a ton of $5s, I’d rather get more $25s on the table sooner, so my breakdown would probably have fewer $5.

I’m thinking since the last question in the OP was about what chip breakdown to give for a $200 buy-in that the $100-$200 is just the initial buy in, not the total amount per player for the night
If that's the case then I probably just misunderstood op and the stakes are fine.

I'll be the one with the unpopular opinion that says that there is no need for more than 200 of a single denomination in any single table cash set.
For a 1/2 game, you can have an extra rack or two of $5's on hand to add more chips to the table for the first round of top offs and rebuys, but it's not totally necessary. For a $200 buy in, I'd prefer 20 $1's, 20 $5's, and four $20's. Rebuys and top offs with $20 chips with $100's your value chip.

Which brings me to another point. It's better to have $20's in a cash set rather than $25's because people tend to buy in lots with $20's regardless.

A breakdown of 200 $1's, 200 $5's, 100 $20's, and 40 $100's is plenty. 540 chips. $7200 bank. No need for a mega 800+ chip set with racks and racks of $5's.

Which brings me to another point. It's better to have $20's in a cash set rather than $25's because people tend to buy in lots with $20's regardless.
I know people say that all the time, but I feel like that’s an old wives tale. I can’t speak from a lot of experience because I don’t usually get too many $20s on the table in my .25/.50 game - I’m one of those people who would rather get an extra rack or two of $5s in play.
But what’s the theory - that if somebody buys in for $80, it’s easier to give them 4x $20s than 3x $25s and a $5?

I know people say that all the time, but I feel like that’s an old wives tale. I can’t speak from a lot of experience because I don’t usually get too many $20s on the table in my .25/.50 game - I’m one of those people who would rather get an extra rack or two of $5s in play.
But what’s the theory - that if somebody buys in for $80, it’s easier to give them 4x $20s than 3x $25s and a $5?
Yup. My OCD hates breaking up a barrel of a second denomination to top off a stack. Just keep it all uniform. Of course YMMV, but the games I play in are generally $20 heavy for buy ins. We have a phobia of $50's.

All good information above. Appreciate all the veteran feedback. To answer some of the questions above -

Initial buy in for some guys is $100. Rarely a guy will be one and done with $100. On average a loser is probably close to spending $250.

Usually guys buy in and rebuy in denominations of $100s.

We play for about 4 hours if it matters.

Again it is half holdem. Half random 7 card poker games. Maybe a little acey ducey sprinkled in. Dealer choice.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom