New Chip Set for Tournament (2 Viewers)

partypoker

Pair
Reaction score
Hello,

I know there are multiple threads out there about what chips are the best, with weight and feel being priority. I am new to this thread and trying to decide on which sample pack to try out in the post at the top of this thread. I just got in line for a new table from Chanman and looking to upgrade from my cheap set we got at Walmart. I will be hosting 8-10 games a year all 10 man or less sit and go style games. We do use 1 rebuy so the first guy who's aces get sucked out on does not have to sit in the corner and watch till its over. I am thinking about the 500 chips from CPC but not sure if that is where I should be looking or something more in the forums for sale from one of you all.

Budget is around 1k or less but obviously less is better. I wont be horse trading these and ideally will have them for the long haul, so I do not feel like I need the rare and valuable set at this time. I am unsure about getting clay vs china and best value for my small play amount. worst case scenario in my mind is spending 1k on a set of CPC atlantic clubs and having them break on me cause they are made for looks and not play. I saw the paulson and jones sample chips out there and thought about those but also think it might be overkill for what my goal here is, but also think I would be wise in stepping up over the majestic or CC as I have seen on here as well. I am new tot he chip game so I might have just said somehtign thats comes off as an oxymoron to you all and if so please feel free to enlighten me :).

I am going to get my hands on some samples, and so I am looking for more info on what to get samples of, hate to spend $200 on multiple sample packs when you all could have just said stick with XXX and probably narrow down my search from there.

Thanks for the help, I know opinions are varied but you all have a great collective of knowledge and will make my life easier, as when was searching for poker table vendors, I do tend to over research with my FOMO.

Go with a small set of customs from CPC, or a small set of cheap-ish Paulsons. Sit and Go's should only need 500 chips, but make sure to find a good breakdown from here, somebody else could help you out with that. And, as always, get samples!

CPC makes good quality chips, they shouldnt break unless your players are extremely rough. A paulson set is just as nice but may be harder to acquire in your ideal break down. CPC gives you the option to order what you need. I would recommend either over china clay if your budget is allowing for it and you are looking for an upgrade to have for a long time. I would however recommend sampling some CPC chips prior to ordering so you can get a ball park for weight and colors in person. There are sample travel packs here on the forum you may try also, just pay shipping on those and when you are finished send to the next person in line. The atlantic clubs are nice chips, fairly simple. I believe CPC has a couple different pre made options available.
If you look into Paulsons, THC chips tend to hold an edge longer than RHC but will be a bit more expensive than the RHC mould.

CPCs are a great option. I would go with CPC Rounders because they fit your budget and inevitably they have the “cool” factor of being in an awesome movie. Or hire a designer here to design an inlay based on a theme that your players will appreciate that connects with them and go full custom CPC which you can definitely still fit in your budget.

Welcome OP. For a single table tournament you can get by with 300 or 400 chips including one rebuy per player. My advice is to get the best set that you can within your budget since you don’t need too many chips.

Get what you like most of course but clay, ceramic, or high end plastic chips will last a lifetime if treated well. Skip the China Clays and go for higher quality

If I am not mistaken the tourney guru approves of the 400 chip T25/10k breakdown:

120/120/50/7/40

Plus some rebuys and bounties if you want to get crazy.

For max efficiency, could do 120/120/50/75/25/10 with the 10 being rebuy chips. Extra 15 T1000s color up the T25/100, 2 T5000s per player for rebuys, the left over T5000s color up the T500s.

As others have indicated, the max you need is 400 chips. The Atlantic Club hot stamped chips are great for tournament play and they are totally solid chips meant to be played. Breaking a CPC chips would require tremendous effort.
I may be able to shed 300-400 of some of mine. PM me if interested.

For max efficiency, could do 120/120/50/75/25/10 with the 10 being rebuy chips. Extra 15 T1000s color up the T25/100, 2 T5000s per player for rebuys, the left over T5000s color up the T500s.

Oh although I just remembered the CPC customs one denom per 100 chip rule. OP would be fine with 6 denoms if they went with Atlantic Club or Rounders but if they go custom they would need to stick with 4 or 5 denoms depending on total quantity.

Thanks for all the advice, I am keeping my eyes open for a set on the classified. I have my name on the list for the paulson sample set as well so hope to get my hands on that and see how they all feel. I never knew there was a chip cult out there, always just sat at a table and played with whatever someone handed me :).
I like the 10k breakdown and agree 400 would work for me. I also like the option of having a few extras for color ups or other reasons, last game I hosted after the bourbon came out we started giving bonus chips out for various memberships and stuff before the game started, I.E. show your library card get a black chip. Probably sacrilege to you hard core folks but our game is more about sneaking away from the family for one night to have a cigar, bourbon, and potentially claim the trash talking award for a month or two because you lightened the neighbors wallet by $100. ;)

Really appreciate the feedback and looking forward to getting a great set of chips. Will put my hands on the paulson sample set being shipped around as well I just ordered the CPC 10 sample set based on your feedback.

Welcome OP. For a single table tournament you can get by with 300 or 400 chips including one rebuy per player. My advice is to get the best set that you can within your budget since you don’t need too many chips.

Get what you like most of course but clay, ceramic, or high end plastic chips will last a lifetime if treated well. Skip the China Clays and go for higher quality
400 wouldn't be enough for an 11 player STT with a 12/12/5/6 breakdown, which is ideal, but with something worse, like 8/8/3/7 it's more than enough.

400 wouldn't be enough for an 11 player STT with a 12/12/5/6 breakdown, which is ideal, but with something worse, like 8/8/3/7 it's more than enough.
If you really needed 11 you could do it in 400.
12+12+5+6=35 chips x 11 players= 385 chips

If you really needed 11 you could do it in 400.
12+12+5+6=35 chips x 11 players= 385 chips
Did you guys interpret 10 players with one rebuy to mean only the first guy knocked out has the option to rebuy? I assumed it meant that everybody had the option to rebuy once.
Either way, it CAN be done with 400 chips, but if this guy has a grand to burn, why not go with 500?
By the way, @partypoker is it 1 rebuy per player or only the first guy knocked out has the option to rebuy?

Did you guys interpret 10 players with one rebuy to mean only the first guy knocked out has the option to rebuy? I assumed it meant that everybody had the option to rebuy once.
Either way, it CAN be done with 400 chips, but if this guy has a grand to burn, why not go with 500?
By the way, @partypoker is it 1 rebuy per player or only the first guy knocked out has the option to rebuy?

Because those pretty spot patterns get pricey real fast. A 400 chip set has the potential to look a lot prettier than a 500 chip set.

I totally agree with the 400 chip breakdown. Don't buy chips you don't need. Stretch your budget with fewer but better quality chips.

You can even do it with 300 chips at the cost of more change-making in the game.

Check out the Key West chips (like @Coyote did, not see his post ;) )

Key West

@dennis63 (owner) is a vendor over here...you'll get a PCF discount
And all are available, no waiting

You can even look at pre-owned Key West chips at a discount (he has some tourney racks/chips available)
Click here

Last edited:
Because those pretty spot patterns get pricey real fast. A 400 chip set has the potential to look a lot prettier than a 500 chip set.
I hear that. Go for 420 then. I’ll elways want an extra barrel of 5Ks I’m case we decide to do a rebuy night or a deep stack night or whatever.

We allow everyone to re-buy 1 time or do an add on by the end of the first break. sorry for the confusion I see how this makes the difference

worst case scenario in my mind is spending 1k on a set of CPC atlantic clubs and having them break on me cause they are made for looks and not play.

I would not worry about breaking, CPC's are very strong and will not break easily. I feel like they are stronger than most paulson chips.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom