New and hopefully not unwanted... (1 Viewer)

L7ess

Waiting List
Reaction score
I hope this is ok to admit but I have a set of chips that I need to identify so that I can list them on eBay properly and the only place on the internet that I could find that I thought might help me with this is PCF. I have no idea how unkosher it is to join this forum for this reason explicitly but I'm hoping it's not that bad lol. I can't play poker because I only have a basic comprehension of it but I've always been interested in it. Just haven't taken the time to learn. Plus, I'm female so it's not like I get invited to many poker parties...

Oh I thought I wasn't allowed to post a photo yet. Maybe that's just for certain threads? Ok here's a photo.
IMG_2224.JPG

I found them at an antique mall and the tag attached to the box said "Bakelite" but I suspect they aren't, after what I've been reading on these forums. They are translucent and have a hole in the middle (obviously) and I was attracted to them initially because they were so pretty lol.

Actually they are all translucent except for the robin's egg blue chips which are opaque.
IMG_2228.JPG

I tried rubbing them and smelled no formaldehyde although I may be a bit stuffed up so who knows. They feel light. I can't seem to find any similar pictures on the internet so would appreciate any help whatsoever. Thanks in advance!

Actually, they kinda look like Bakelite, but I'm no expert on that material. Having said that, I think there is little to no collectible value for this set. My reasons are:
1. They were, at one point, mass produced
2. The chips have no denominations or markings on them to clarify their origin, date, location, or time of manufacture
3. They don't come in enough quantities of each colour to play with more than a few people at a time

I hope this is not very bad news for you.

Actually, they kinda look like Bakelite, but I'm no expert on that material. Having said that, I think there is little to no collectible value for this set. My reasons are:
1. They were, at one point, mass produced
2. The chips have no denominations or markings on them to clarify their origin, date, location, or time of manufacture
3. They don't come in enough quantities of each colour to play with more than a few people at a time

I hope this is not very bad news for you.
I appreciate all of this knowledge. I did not realize that the colour quantities were low. There are 15 on each post. How many would you ideally have of each colour?

I appreciate all of this knowledge. I did not realize that the colour quantities were low. There are 15 on each post. How many would you ideally have of each colour?

This opens a can of worms. It very much depends on how many people are playing, if it is a cash or tournament game, and what the agreed upon denomination of each colour should be.

I take a bit of my opinion back, if there are 90 of each colour, it is possible to do a poker tournament with these chips, maybe up to 1 table of 7-10 persons. But it might not be the best type of chip to use, for some of the reasons I mentioned above. It is not the style of chip that most seasoned players here would use as a primary chip set, and definitely not something to invest in.

Plus, I'm female so it's not like I get invited to many poker parties...

This is a shame. Poker is something that is (or should be) accessible to anyone and everyone who is interested in learning about the game. There is no place for discrimination in the endeavor.

One of our regular cash players, a lady, lamented that there were so few other women that were interested, or even knew, about poker as a hobby. So she started her own group to entice more female players, and doing so successfully. Even got some sponsorship funds to promote this.

This opens a can of worms. It very much depends on how many people are playing, if it is a cash or tournament game, and what the agreed upon denomination of each colour should be.

I take a bit of my opinion back, if there are 90 of each colour, it is possible to do a poker tournament with these chips, maybe up to 1 table of 7-10 persons. But it might not be the best type of chip to use, for some of the reasons I mentioned above. It is not the style of chip that most seasoned players here would use as a primary chip set, and definitely not something to invest in.
I completely understand what you mean. They would be considered banal by seasoned players. I can appreciate that the markings, colour, brand, quality, feel, weight etc. of the more decorated chips are what makes them attractive. Well, at least I know more now than I did 2 hours ago. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.

This is a shame. Poker is something that is (or should be) accessible to anyone and everyone who is interested in learning about the game. There is no place for discrimination in the endeavor.

One of our regular cash players, a lady, lamented that there were so few other women that were interested, or even knew, about poker as a hobby. So she started her own group to entice more female players, and doing so successfully. Even got some sponsorship funds to promote this.
Oh I don't feel discriminated against, it's just that without me voicing my interest I can see why men would assume I wasn't interested since it tends to be males that play. I'm sure if I taught myself how to play and expressed interest I'd be invited. As I said, I've always been interested, just haven't taken the next step.

I'm glad to hear that your friend took the initiative to create a female league. I have a feeling that eventually it will be more equal in terms of genders participating - I work for UPS and in the 90's when I started there were only two women where I worked. Now there are a dozen or more. These things take time. :)

Plus, I'm female so it's not like I get invited to many poker parties
I am just on the other side of the border and I have to ask what is wrong with people there. I had trouble getting players for my game post covid, until I asked the one girl where I work if she wanted to join. Once guys realized she was playing, my player list increased 565%! What's going on in Ontario?

Whilst we are valuing plastic poker chips; and without wanting to thread highjack. (But it saves me cluttering up the forum, and it looks like OPs question is answered)

Anyone have an idea of these Dal Negro Italian chips?

Attachments

• 3C77C90B-CBCD-4C0D-AEE8-363D1510F5D6.jpeg
    3C77C90B-CBCD-4C0D-AEE8-363D1510F5D6.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 215CEC35-5EDB-4541-BB30-CDE7AF3A3F6C.jpeg
    215CEC35-5EDB-4541-BB30-CDE7AF3A3F6C.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 40

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
Back
Top Bottom