NEW 2017 WSOP Change to Calling Clock Rules .... (1 Viewer)

Blaster

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Just saw this:

".....Under the old rule, the clock basically couldn’t be called until about two minutes of deliberation. The new rule removes that two-minute requirement.

“Participants may now call the clock at any point, if they feel a participant at the table is taking longer than is reasonable for the game situation,” the WSOP said.

So, if a player is tanking preflop in a pretty straightforward situation, you could call the clock more or less instantly on him or her, rather than having to wait a couple of minutes before doing so.

Obviously this could be abused, so WSOP staff have the right to not initiate the clock, based on the game situation. However, the floor person may later initiate a clock once he or she deems an appropriate amount of time has passed.

Penalties could result from both habitual stalling and excessive clock calling. “Participants are encouraged to be respectful of opponents who are involved in a hand,” the WSOP said.

In other words, calling the clock shouldn’t be overused.

After the clock is called and staff deem that a timer should be used for the situation, a player will have up to 40 seconds to act.

That’s a reduction from the 60 seconds given under the old rule.

To reiterate: The clock can now be called earlier in a hand and once it is implemented a player will have less time to act before their hand is mucked.

“Rio, in its sole and absolute discretion, reserves the right, at any time, to invoke a clock or speed up the amount of time allotted for a clock,” the WSOP said.....
"

Last edited:
I still maintain that a hand should never be declared dead due to time.

A much better solution is to allow a player X amount of free time to act, after which the player's amount of excessive time used is clocked.... and applied as a rail penalty at 5x the actual time used, following the completion of the hand.

So let the player take 5 minutes in excess of the 40 seconds allowed.... then hit him with an automatic 25-minute rail penalty. The showboating and grandstanding would quickly come to a halt.

Works like a charm in our league tournaments. No more bs hem-hawing. Actions have consequences, and no hand is artificially declared dead.

A much better solution is to allow a player X amount of free time to act, after which the player's amount of excessive time used is clocked.... and applied as a rail penalty at 5x the actual time used, following the completion of the hand.

So let the player take 5 minutes in excess of the 40 seconds allowed.... then hit him with an automatic 25-minute rail penalty. The showboating and grandstanding would quickly come to a halt.

Works like a charm in our league tournaments. No more bs hem-hawing. Actions have consequences, and no hand is artificially declared dead.

I like this! I may establish it in our Thursday night league, to deal with a couple chronic offenders!

Interesting idea, I wonder if that is logistically do-able at something like the WSOP ... , Hundreds of tables, theoretically / possibly needing more than 1 person sitting out different penalties at the same table, lots of timers need to be on hand..
There are way too many 'internet players' in a rush nowadays, trying to force changes in the rules & want "shot-clocks" , ... they play a couple big B&M tournament per year & want everyone to bet,check or fold 27 seconds after getting their cards, as if they are still playing online ..

Interesting idea.

Interesting idea, I wonder if that is logistically do-able at something like the WSOP ... , Hundreds of tables, theoretically / possibly needing more than 1 person sitting out different penalties at the same table, lots of timers need to be on hand..

Not that hard, really. It only comes into play where a) a clock has been called, and b) the person still doesn't make their decision before the clock expires.

That's actually quite rare.

Next, you just need a stopwatch or clock timer that keeps counting to find out the penalty. They take an extra minute? They'll be out for five minutes.

Just drop a note that says, "out until 6 minutes in level" or whatever, based on tourney clock/ tourney time, and rounding up to the nearest minute. Simple, and the penalty is paused if the tourney is paused.

We issue time chips to each player, which are worth 30 seconds each (one chip per estimated hour of tourney duration). So players get four 30-second chips (two minutes total) for a four-hour event.

Every player gets a free 30 seconds to act, after which they forfeit a time chip and have an additional 30 seconds. When a player runs out of time chips, rail penalties then apply. Most tournaments see between 0 and 2 time chips used -- total, not per person.

I have only issued a rail penalty once in over 100 events since implementing the rule. Just the concept of time penalties is enough of a deterrent, but players still have a couple of free minutes for when facing a really tough decision.

Anything to keep some of these divas from showboating especially for the cameras, good think IMO. A lot of these posturing fits now days are simple decisions that don't require tanking for 5 minutes, it's all about camera time (I'm talking about in the ME). I think the floor should be able to control too many premature clock calls if some try to use it to put more pressure on players.

We issue time chips to each player, which are worth 30 seconds each (one chip per estimated hour of tourney duration). So players get four 30-second chips (two minutes total) for a four-hour event.

Time Chips! Damn it, Time chips ... You had to say that.... now my set is not complete!
44mm ASM, Group buy.. Oh no, I must resist....!

Last edited:
There are way too many 'internet players' in a rush nowadays, trying to force changes in the rules & want "shot-clocks" , ... they play a couple big B&M tournament per year & want everyone to bet,check or fold 27 seconds after getting their cards, as if they are still playing online ..
Um, I'm pretty sure it's the young internet players who come to the tournaments and tank for long periods of time on many hands. Tournaments used to play quickly, with only a few hands of length when someone had a true big decision. It was after Black Friday, when many internet players starting showing up at the live poker rooms, that long tanks became fashionable.

I think the shot clock, with time extension chips, as implemented by the WPT and others is a reasonable solution for Main Event and other large buy-in or large field tournaments. The new WSOP rule seems rather chaotic by comparison, with the potential for abuse or confusion, as well as taxing the tournament staff.

How about a combination: The shot clock counts down the first minute, after which any player dealt in the hand can call a clock at any point for the tanking player. Once the clock is called, the dealer simply restarts the shot clock to count down another minute until the hand is dead. This gives a minimum of two minutes to a player, and lets the other players at the table essentially set the maximum based upon the situation. Just add the option for floor staff to call the clock on a player to cover all the bases. Might also need a rule that the shot clock is automatically restarted by the dealer at the end of the first minute when playing hand-for-hand (i.e., on the bubble, etc.). Oh, and include a few time extension chips for each player.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom