Need help identifying (2 Viewers)

THRA5H3R

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
1613282021785.png
1613282180858.png

Too new to chipping to know anything. Can anyone help me identify these? Seller says they're clay and unused, 13g. 500 count in a case with dice and cards. Was hoping maybe I could get a nice set to label! (All I know is plastic...)

They are indeed 13+ grams of slugged, injection molded plastic. They were reasonably popular ten or more years ago. They are recessed, so you can definitely label them.

If the chips are shrink wrapped in plastic, you can be sure they are not compressed clay. Also, if the set is new chips in an aluminum case with dice, you can be pretty sure the breakdown sucks, but this breakdown seems quite playable. They aren't worth much, but they should be virtually indestructable.

Yes, agree with above ^ i have a coupe of samples of this chip and they are heavy. too heavy for my tastes. I say it depends on the price. I wouldn't pay more than $50 for these. Depending on your budget, you can do a lot better.

Weight is also a give away. 39mm clay chips are most often around 8-10g and as far as i know never 13g, then they would have to be oversized.

Well, they are $50, but I already have plastic 11.5g double-suited chips, so I don't see a need to get any more plastic. Thank you all for the info!

Seller says they're clay and unused, 13g.
Be advised that anyone can, and nearly everyone does, say that their chips are clay. The term is meaningless outside of specialized forums like PCF. Here, we use "clay" to mean "compression molded chips made using the formulas and methods that have been in use by a small number of manufacturers for decades, stretching back to the early days of poker chips in the early twentieth century". They're made of plastic, not clay, but historically they have included fine clay minerals as one component of the plastic mixture.

But since there's no official standard for what constitutes a "clay" poker chip, the term gets applied as marketing fluff to nearly every type of chip sold to the public, even those that have absolutely nothing in common with the chips that we consider "clay".

So unless the seller is a PCF member or is otherwise a knowledgeable poker chip aficionado and collector, ignore any claims about a chip being clay. They may be right, but usually they're wrong.

Be advised that anyone can, and nearly everyone does, say that their chips are clay. The term is meaningless outside of specialized forums like PCF. Here, we use "clay" to mean "compression molded chips made using the formulas and methods that have been in use by a small number of manufacturers for decades, stretching back to the early days of poker chips in the early twentieth century". They're made of plastic, not clay, but historically they have included fine clay minerals as one component of the plastic mixture.

But since there's no official standard for what constitutes a "clay" poker chip, the term gets applied as marketing fluff to nearly every type of chip sold to the public, even those that have absolutely nothing in common with the chips that we consider "clay".

So unless the seller is a PCF member or is otherwise a knowledgeable poker chip aficionado and collector, ignore any claims about a chip being clay. They may be right, but usually they're wrong.
I would say they are "right" in that they are describing Compressed Clay "style" chips. These are not to be confused with Ceramic "style" chips (which are not made of ceramic). They are attempting to conflate their 100% plastic, injection molded chips with "real" compressed "clay" chips that contain very little (if any) "clay". I think they have succeeded (at least legally) in this conflation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom