Nate Silver's Ten Major Causes of Poker Tournament Death (1 Viewer)

Psypher1000

Straight Flush
Reaction score
Nate Silver, poker fan and founder of fivethirtyeight.com, put together a list of the top ten primary causes of poker tournament death - or at least hands that signal the beginning of the end.

So what do you think? If you have to lose, what's the way that you get crippled/busted that lets you down the easiest? Which tilts you the most?

1563758787234.png

For me, I prefer to lose #b (sucked out), #e/#f (failed bluffs)

I hate and tilt off with #d (hero call).

And #j...crippling your stack with a huge fold...never done that before and don’t plan to

Hero calling for all your chips is the worst way to go out. Hero calls are for big stacks.

Get it in as the favorite is best, because I know I made the right decision.

Coolered or card dead are tied for 2nd.

Naked bluff has got to be the worst. Never done it in a tournament that was for any real money. Done it plenty in cash games.

I've always found the number one cause to be poor decisions aka shitty play.....

Easiest
#A, B or C

Tilts me the most....usually
#I quickly followed by
#I-a: Having to shove a less than desirable ATC while I still have any fold equity only to be snapped off by the guy who wakes up with AA.

What let’s me down the easiest is B. I made the right play, but things happen.

Tilted for me would be repeat occurrences of A.

For me it's simple:

a. Throw in chips when I shouldn't.
b. Fold when I shouldn't.

:ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

For me it's ~90% (B) and this years WSOP seemed to be a lot of (C).......with a little bit of ( I ) thrown in for "great poker times" all week......... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

As much as losing sucks in any fashion...

I typically find losing a flip to be somewhat tolerable, as long as the hands are reasonable and the stacks warrant a jam and a call. For example, if I turn over :7c::7d: and lose to :qd::8s:, I don't exactly consider that a "flip," based on the loose call from the villain (obviously there are certain times where that might be a reasonable call, I'm just speaking generally).

But if it's a proper spot to jam, and I lose with :jc::js: to something like :ah::kh:, I typically don't walk away too steamed.

Safe to say that Option B is fun for no one. Even if you maybe didn't play the hand properly and allowed your opponent to stick around for the suckout.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom