Nashville meetup: SSSS II (Electric Boogaloo) March 29-31, 2018

Yes but if the number of games for each player is equal it is better than giving byes.
With byes the odds are 1/2 x 1/2 = 25% because they have to win 2 flips
Without byes: 2 person heads up 50%, 3 person heads up 33%

That has to be more fair than giving one person 3 cards and the other 2 cards.
Just the odds of being dealt a pair goes from 5.9% to 17.2%, nevermind the likelihood of making 2 pair with 3 cards vs 2 pair with 2 cards, being dealt 2 suited cards to make a flush etc etc.
At this point I think we can safely frag the 3 card idea. It's simply not a preferred idea, and I'm fine with that. Popular opinion seems to lead toward one and done, single flip. It can realistically handle any number of punters (up to 23). No sweating out the outcome :unsure:, but like Trihonda points out, it's $20. A ceremonial flip to get things underway. In the event of a chopped pot, the winners go to sudden death flip.

Jonesey07

3 of a Kind
At this point I think we can safely frag the 3 card idea. It's simply not a preferred idea, and I'm fine with that. Popular opinion seems to lead toward one and done, single flip. It can realistically handle any number of punters (up to 23). No sweating out the outcome :unsure:, but like Trihonda points out, it's $20. A ceremonial flip to get things underway. In the event of a chopped pot, the winners go to sudden death flip.
I think that's the best way to go!

Ronoh

Full House
I think you’re all being silly. One has a 12.5% chance of winning a three-round HU flip bracket. Those odds go up to 14.3% if there are seven players with one bye.

To be clear, each player has an identical 14.3% chance of winning when the money goes in (before the draw).

Once the draw happens, yes, one person ends up with the advantage of receiving a bye. But that players advantage does not result in another players DISadvantage... those players simply revert to their true odds of 12.5%.

The point of a flip is randomness. I’m scratching my head at anyone having an issue in a random flip of one random person randomly ending up with a head start when everyone was on equal footing when the money went in.

trever

3 of a Kind
Re-reading the SSSS I thread today, and I saw there was interest in a $20 non-attending flip-a-ment. If anyone is interested let me know, and I will start forming brackets!
In.

I am holding out (slim) hope that I can actually make it to the meetup in person, but assume that nobody will mind taking my $20 in the non-attendance flip too.

BGinGA

Royal Flush
Tourney Director
So you want random draws with no concern for actual fair equity for participants, yearn for zombie complexity, and want more than a quick one-and-done.... then do a ladder bracket:

Everybody randomly draws for their place in the play order. #1 plays #2, the winner plays #3, that winner plays #4, etc.... until you run out of participants. Maybe you need to win ten flips to win, or maybe you need to win only one. Or somewhere in-between.

In. :)

So you want random draws with no concern for actual fair equity for participants, yearn for zombie complexity, and want more than a quick one-and-done.... then do a ladder bracket:

Everybody randomly draws for their place in the play order. #1 plays #2, the winner plays #3, that winner plays #4, etc.... until you run out of participants. Maybe you need to win ten flips to win, or maybe you need to win only one. Or somewhere in-between.

Equally fair - but not up to Zombie standards.

Trihonda

4 of a Kind

Oh brother... just tell me where to ship my $20

Jonesey07

3 of a Kind
Dinner will be around 6. Bourbon-Pineapple glazed chicken.

A Crazy-Pineapple tournament will follow, using the Zombie Foodie chips. $40 covers dinner and the game.
Cash game as players are eliminated with @detroitdad 's Bourbon Basement chips.
Nice! I'll do my best to be there around dinner bell but I'll have to wait for the wife to get home and get the kids settled before I can scoot out. Worst comes to worst I'll miss the meal but shouldn't be late for the first shuffle!

2 weeks to go. Time to post the Crazy Pineapple Structure. Since Dave is going to be in attendance, I hope this will be @BGinGA approved. If not, I have my first edge... :cautious:
Untitled-1.jpg

T10,000 starting stacks. Single rebuy allowed per player. Players do not need to be felted to rebuy, but forfeit any chips they have remaining. Rebuys earn 10% more chips (T11,000).

Previous SSSS Crazy Pineapple event was won by Ben. Highlights included:
  • First hand: BGinGA gets felted.
  • Second hand: BG Rebuys, and Ronoh got felted.
  • Third Hand: Poker Zombie hits a straight flush. Nobody felted.
  • This...

BGinGA

Royal Flush
Tourney Director
2 weeks to go. Time to post the Crazy Pineapple Structure. Since Dave is going to be in attendance, I hope this will be @BGinGA approved. If not, I have my first edge... :cautious:
View attachment 160534

T10,000 starting stacks. Single rebuy allowed per player. Players do not need to be felted to rebuy, but forfeit any chips they have remaining. Rebuys earn 10% more chips (T11,000).

Previous SSSS Crazy Pineapple event was won by Ben. Highlights included:
  • First hand: BGinGA gets felted.
  • Second hand: BG Rebuys, and Ronoh got felted.
  • Third Hand: Poker Zombie hits a straight flush. Nobody felted.
  • This...
No edge.

bginga-approved.jpg

BGinGA

Royal Flush
Tourney Director
Dinner will be around 6. Bourbon-Pineapple glazed chicken.

A Crazy-Pineapple tournament will follow, using the Zombie Foodie chips. $40 covers dinner and the game.
Cash game as players are eliminated with @detroitdad 's Bourbon Basement chips.
Okay, travel plans confirmed -- lock up two seats for @BGinGA and @flipupchipup please.

@Ben -- any couch space at your place for Wednesday night?

Top Bottom