NAGB....WTF (1 Viewer)

jpietrella

4 of a Kind
Reaction score
Can someone who's not constantly grumpy tell me what NAGB stands for? I'm assuming this is a group buy and probably just need to know what the NA means, but I have no idea.

Also, if someone responds and tells me to use the search function I'll probably snap. Not sifting through 4 billion mentions of NAGB sorry not sorry.

K thanks.

FarSparseFoal-size_restricted.gif

Not A Group Buy. There is a debate that these activities we are referring to should not be called "group" buy because they do not include everyone and are not publicly open as a group. Hence NOT A GB. There is tension behind the subject because of what went down with the groups and who was included and left out in some of the past/original NAGBs/GBs. The appropriate name for these things we are talking about is "direct buy" IMO because whether or not it was organized as a group or not is irrelevant and the relevant characteristic is that they were bought directly from Paulson.

it’s basically what @Eloe2000 said. It had to do with the whole boat and big top chip fiasco where it WAS essentially a group buy, just not in the sense that it was open to the whole forum.
The argument was really more of an attempted distinction, to try to convince people they shouldn't feel bad that they weren't allowed to participate, because it wasn't actually a group buy? Something along the lines of - "it wasn't a group buy because a bunch of people didn't buy these together. there was one buyer with multiple investors." Or something like that?

Mmmmm.

So a group buy thats actually a direct buy but has the phrase group buy in it because some people think it's a group buy. Less confusing
The argument was really more of an attempted distinction, to try to convince people they shouldn't feel bad that they weren't allowed to participate, because it wasn't actually a group buy? Something along the lines of - "it wasn't a group buy because a bunch of people didn't buy these together. there was one buyer with multiple investors." Or something like that?

This ^^^^

Basically what @upNdown said.

NAGB is somewhat of a pejorative and can sometimes be used as a not-so-subtle way of needling those involved (although that practice seems to have died out as of late, and as time has passed it's now mostly used to invoke humor).

When the boat chips were first discovered the conversations were something along the lines of:

PCF Member X: "Oh, so you were in a private group buy and only certain PCF members were invited?."
PCF Member Z: "No no no, it really wasn't a group buy. Just some people getting together for a private purchase opportunity."
PCF Member X: "Ohhhh, I see. So it's a group buy that's not a group buy."

Hence... NAGB.

"NAGB" = "a private purchase of chips that wasn't open to everyone on PCF who would have liked to participate (i.e., unlike true group buys that are 100% open to anyone), rather the buy was open only to a select subgroup of members chosen by the originator"

The rest is largely semantics with wildly varied personal interpretations regarding nefarious vs. innocuous intentions, depending on individual perceptions, feelings, and reactions to a thousand different historically accurate + technically-accurate-but-somewhat-misleading + inaccurate posts and stories about the subject. I agree with the other posters that the use of "NAGB" seems to have developed a negative connotation for some, but it seems to serve a purpose in describing a large score of chips by a select subgroup on PCF. $0.02

Last edited:
"NAGB" = "a private purchase of chips that wasn't open to everyone on PCF who would have liked to participate (i.e., unlike true group buys that are 100% open to anyone), rather the buy was open only to a select group of members"

The rest is largely semantics with wildly varied personal interpretations regarding nefarious vs. innocuous intentions, depending on individual perceptions, feelings, and reactions to a thousand different historically accurate + inaccurate posts and stories about the subject. I agree with the other posters that the use of "NAGB" seems to have developed a negative connotation for some, but it seems to serve a purpose in describing a large score of chips by a select group on PCF. $0.02

This purchase was by invitation because there was a cap on the total quantity of chips and the organizer could not fund a purchase large enough by himself. I prefer to think of it as a consortium rather than NAGB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom