My Wanderings as an Amateur Poker Player (2 Viewers)

well, you three bet. Nobodys putting you on 34 offsuit here, everybody’s thinking aces kings, AK, etc.....
Then the board dumps two kings, what do you think people think you have?
I think you lost your value - or got all you were going to get - when you 3bet. Plus now you’ve set up a scenario where you donk off a lot of chips on a nice drawing hand if you did miss the flop.
People were already raising for you, you just killed the golden goose is all.

True, in this example I probably should just flat.

Same thing happens though when only a few people limp, at which point I'm torn between low key limping and hoping the board falls decently or getting some value in the pot and getting an idea of what everyone is holding.

True, in this example I probably should just flat.

Same thing happens though when only a few people limp, at which point I'm torn between low key limping and hoping the board falls decently or getting some value in the pot and getting an idea of what everyone is holding.

Hope is the true currency of poker

Forgot to count the blinds, a raise to 9,5bbs would be pot.

You don’t wanna lay too good odds to call. In position, like this I would consider going a bit smaller like 8 but oop I’d be mashing the pot button. If the opponants over fold I would adjust by raising a wider range rather than giving too good odds.

My bad btw, I play PLO and NLHE :p As I'm currently losing money in PLO, I made the mistake :)

I'll try and switch up between your suggestion and ekricket's.

Not 3-betting would be a mistake. You have a premium hand and want to start bulding a pot. Don’t worry about not getting paid. If they all fold it’s because they’re too tight or because you’re too tight and they’ve noticed. Answer to both is 3-bet more.

On the flop I would just bet. Sure, sometimes they all fold but I wanna build a pot for when I have a great hand like this and I wanna be able to credibly c-bet my missed hands as well. I would go small here, something like 1/3 pot.

Limpcaller can have all sorts of 8s: 87s/98s/86s/A8s or small to medium pocket pairs all of which would likely call a small bet.

minraiser can certainly have 99-JJ maybe even QQ and depending on how loose s/he is, some or all of the limpcaller’s range as well.

Ok, so switched to NLHE and I've started sizing up my preflop bets to around 5BB, and people folded quite a lot for the first 5-10 times, but now it's rendering results :)

In for 4.00, lots more action now and let's see if we can put down another green screenshot soon :D

Not 3-betting would be a mistake. You have a premium hand and want to start bulding a pot. Don’t worry about not getting paid. If they all fold it’s because they’re too tight or because you’re too tight and they’ve noticed. Answer to both is 3-bet more.

On the flop I would just bet. Sure, sometimes they all fold but I wanna build a pot for when I have a great hand like this and I wanna be able to credibly c-bet my missed hands as well. I would go small here, something like 1/3 pot.

Limpcaller can have all sorts of 8s: 87s/98s/86s/A8s or small to medium pocket pairs all of which would likely call a small bet.

minraiser can certainly have 99-JJ maybe even QQ and depending on how loose s/he is, some or all of the limpcaller’s range as well.
Thank you Phil Hellmuth for your “top ten starting hand shove it all in” strategy. That worked ok back in the 80’s.

I should do a thread like this too - but my “wanderings” are more like running into a burning building. Sit down, buy in, go all in the first hand pre, lose, rebuy. Repeat the next night.....

You obviously need to 3-bet more

@ekricket, let's keep it friendly in here :)
This isn't a career-defining thread, so I'm open to all tips and insights.

@Goldfish well, have you tried not shoving before at least a couple cards are on the table? :p

@ekricket, let's keep it friendly in here :)
This isn't a career-defining thread, so I'm open to all tips and insights.

@Goldfish well, have you tried not shoving before at least a couple cards are on the table? :p
Gotta test the waters. See who the gamblers are at the table. Bangers are my sweet spot.

Thank you Phil Hellmuth for your “top ten starting hand shove it all in” strategy. That worked ok back in the 80’s.
I don’t get it, suggesting 3-betting with AK is controversial, but flatting a minraise with it and looking to play a family pot isn’t?

I don’t see how the latter is even worth considering.

I don’t get it, suggesting 3-betting with AK is controversial, but flatting a minraise with it and looking to play a family pot isn’t?

I don’t see how the latter is even worth considering.
Nah it’s not controversial, it’s just what he’s been doing and it doesn’t seem to be working. I just wish I could play in your home atms games.

Nah it’s not controversial, it’s just what he’s been doing and it doesn’t seem to be working. I just wish I could play in your home atms games.
Lol me too

Ok, so right now people are either saying "don't 3bet" or "size up your 3bet".

What if I switch it up between them? :)

Ok, so right now people are either saying "don't 3bet" or "size up your 3bet".

What if I switch it up between them? :)
You mean like not be predictable?
That’s a pretty radical concept, I mean if you get two pretty cards your “supposed” to get as much of your money as you can in the middle preflop according to some advisors.
I just think that a lot of players make money off of other players that do what “they are supposed to do”. I do.

Well, I peaked at 6.25-ish.

Got it all in with :ac::jd: on a :ad::ah::8d: board and ran into Villain's :as::8s:. Turn and river just added to the brick wall I'm building to hide my sadness behind.

Oh well :)

Ok, so switched to NLHE and I've started sizing up my preflop bets to around 5BB, and people folded quite a lot for the first 5-10 times, but now it's rendering results :)

In for 4.00, lots more action now and let's see if we can put down another green screenshot soon :D
Your preflop bets should not be a one size for all situations. It depends on a variety of things like position, number of limpers... typically if I am the first person to raise preflop i would go for 2.5-3bb.
as for 3betting, i think @Eriks advice was spot on. Gl and have fun wandering.

I've enjoyed reading the updates here, tough break with the bad beats. Your stakes are where I typically play too and find it hard to apply sound logic to sisutaions and folks don't seem to care about a few penny's and call light.

I look forward to more updates. Good luck :cool
I should do a thread like this too - but my “wanderings” are more like running into a burning building. Sit down, buy in, go all in the first hand pre, lose, rebuy. Repeat the next night.....
@Thisfiendis138 - this seems v similar to our strategies :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I've enjoyed reading the updates here, tough break with the bad beats. Your stakes are where I typically play too and find it hard to apply sound logic to sisutaions and folks don't seem to care about a few penny's and call light.

I look forward to more updates. Good luck :cool

@Thisfiendis138 - this seems v similar to our strategies :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Glad you’re enjoying it!

Honestly? I’ve rarely been called light on Stars and people are check-calling flushes, full houses and top sets like there’s no tomorrow :p

Your preflop bets should not be a one size for all situations. It depends on a variety of things like position, number of limpers... typically if I am the first person to raise preflop i would go for 2.5-3bb.
as for 3betting, i think @Eriks advice was spot on. Gl and have fun wandering.

Absolutely true! The different hotkeys on Pokerstars are very tempting, but I try and adjust a bit on the fly.

I keep reverting to 3bb after a while tho, just because it’s an easy button click away.

Watching. Hopefully I'll have some time to comment on stuff.

Thanks! I'll try and make it worth it!

No poker today, apparently my significant other needs me to not think about blinds and tiny circles with pictures on them at least once a week :D

Thanks! I'll try and make it worth it!

No poker today, apparently my significant other needs me to not think about blinds and tiny circles with pictures on them at least once a week :D
tenor-5.gif

Long week at work, so zero energy left. Tonight is takeaway sushi and binging garbage tv :)

Might carve out some time to participate in the Belgian Poker Player Championship (BPPC) on Stars; a series of low buy in MTT’s organised by the Belgian poker clubs.

Yay/nay? If yay: just a before/after or take you guys on the journey with me? Want to replay a hand with me afterwards? Let me know :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom