My table build....90% done. (2 Viewers)

Brett

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum. Figured I'd post my table build....well, build in progress anyway. I see a lot of people posting questions here and there so I figured I'd throw some photos up. She still needs custom felt, black gloss vinyl decals over the lighted acrylic and possibly some trim or an oak base plate of some sort. It'll end up being 2" lighted raised rail with adjustable colors etc.The drawer will eventually hold all of the chips I hope to buy on this forum:D Anyway, she ain't perfect but I have learned a hell of a lot on the way...

Never posted on a forum, let alone added pictures...so I'm sure something will be screwed up...

Brett

0918151140.jpg
0727151650.jpg
0727151233.jpg
0727151658.jpg
0825152021.jpg
0903150921a.jpg
0729151826.jpg
0725151443.jpg
0730151632.jpg

Welcome! Great looking table! Built in storage is a great feature. Is this your first table build?

Welcome! That's a heck of a nice looking table. Thanks for all the pics. Now, down to brass tax. What kind of chips do you have? :)

Welcome! That's a heck of a nice looking table. Thanks for all the pics. Now, down to brass tax. What kind of chips do you have? :)
Thank you! Right now I'm accumulating samples, probably 20+ sets...and trying to decide on what kind of money to spend. My favs right now are the Avalons for some reason but I'm apprehensive to start a set I cannot finish or possibly have to sell my truck to complete. Lol.

Love the draws. Paging @DrStrange isnt this similar to what you wanted?

Also upgrade chips :) Majestic are a good cheap start, but there has been some issues with the label being off centre.

Nice work, base looks good. just my opinion, next one use cup holder rings, it will flow much nicer.

Nice cabinet work. Love the rounded ends and drawer storage.

Welcome to the forum. Very wise move on getting chip samples before you jump in -- what have you amassed so far?

Table looks fantastic. The miter saw looks out of place with all the other DeWalt tools. :)
I'll be curious to know how the legroom is when you're playing. So might @DrStrange.

I ran three games worth of tests with a cardboard mock up of various sized pedestals.

The biggest one was almost instantly rejected. I pulled it out in less than an hour at the request of the players.

The smaller one lasted till the end of both sessions it was tested. The initial reaction from the players along the center of the table was unconcerned. They didn't notice the mock up or care about it. However, as the game wore on the players in the middle section started having comfort issues much like the issues that come from sitting in the economy section of an airplane. It was not intolerable but it was a grinding annoyance.

I will be curious what Brett finds after putting the table in play. I ended up spending a big chunk of my "poker room" money on more chips {Empress, Garden City and Aztar} rather than a table upgrade that might not have been good for the players.

Brett, please let us know how that build works out for you. It looks sweet! Hope the table brings you good luck.

DrStrange

Awesome table build. Aside from the leg room issues people are debating, I'm curious about the height of the raised rail to the play surface, and if people will feel like they're having to reach down into the table to take action? I had one complaint about my raised rail table from someone who didn't like the reach down feel (compared to a plain table).

In either case, I'm sure the table will be better than just about any other table in your area. Very impressive!!

Doubt anyone will complain.

Brett, please let us know how that build works out for you. It looks sweet! Hope the table brings you good luck.

DrStrange
I will definitely let you know how the games go. If it becomes an issue, I may have to change it. There is plenty of room sitting with arms on the rail but maybe not being able to stretch the stems out wears on a person....we will have to see.

Looks great, some intresting unique concepts there. Have any more pictures of the ped build? Any more rail pics pre vinyl? Not sure what happened with the rings but they do look short.and I don't know why because it looks like the rail is just a single piece of ply.

I'll see if I can dig up some skeleton photos. The rail is two pieces attached together with the 2x4s in the one pic above.

Beautiful table. Love the pedastal and am anxious to hear long term reviews of leg room.
How did you curve your plywood for the ends?
Thanks
I used some bendable plywood. (Luan??) I believe they use it for Lazy Susan's and such in kitchens. I used two 3/8" pieces on each end for strength as it reminds me of balsa wood. I then used red oak veneer over it. Someone was asking about the innards of the base...4-4x4's with top and bottom out of ply, then built the faces on each side out of red oak and stretched that bendy ply around it. Sucker is heavy.
0817151919.jpg

Well done. I just finished pedestals and I Kerfed 3/4" plywood. Not sure I'd like to do that again as I got some pretty mixed results.

Again, Great looking table
Thank you! I considered the kerf route. Looked like A LOT of work for sure.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom