My Revised Design for Tower and Spear chips (2 Viewers)

Rush4Rod

High Hand
Reaction score
I took some suggestions from the intial thread (Check it out here: http://www.pokerchipforum.com/showthread.php/4575-My-Design-for-Tower-and-Spear-chips ) and made some revisions. Here is the original mock up.

TowerampSpearShield_zpsa83a2cc5.png%7Eoriginal

Many of the critiques were regarding the font and the 5 and 100K being hard to see. I kept the font since it is part of the theme but I fixed the "w" in "Tower" and removed the shadows. I change the design around so that the text is on the whiteish background and the layout now kinda resembles Paulson World Top Hat and Cane chips. I also revised the shield.

10PATOP5000.1.jpg

TowerampSpear4_zpsc35a7cde.png%7Eoriginal

I think it's cleaner now. Let me know what you think.

IMO you would be better off having the demon all the same color. Black or red, there is to much color matching going on for my liking.

Other than ham that they look great.

IMO you would be better off having the demon all the same color. Black or red, there is to much color matching going on for my liking.

I was kind of thinking the same thing. I think one consistent denomination color would look good for these.

Much prefer the latest design, but agree that a uniform denomination color will look much cleaner and cohesive. I'd go with black/charcoal (or maybe dark blue), similar to that used on the 25,000 chip. I'd also shrink and lower the "Bounty" text a bit, centering it in the surrounding white space.

Might try putting a faint outline on the shields, to make them stand out a bit (will work particularly well on the lighter colors, like yellow).

Another example of less is more. Great improvements! I also agree that there is a lot going on with the color matching everythingness. Color matching works best as a "pop" on the chips, imho.

Improved!

I agree that the shields get a little lost, especially on the lighter colors, like the yellows. How about outlining/detailing the shield in the darkest spot color? So the shield on the 1 would have a darker brown outline...

The new mockup for sure. I like everyone's suggestions too.

Stroke the shield. (very minor 1 or 2 px max)
One common color for the denominations. Could also try to stroke the demons with the colors you have now too. Just to compare.

New Mock-up

I was kind of thinking the same thing. I think one consistent denomination color would look good for these.

Much prefer the latest design, but agree that a uniform denomination color will look much cleaner and cohesive. I'd go with black/charcoal (or maybe dark blue), similar to that used on the 25,000 chip. I'd also shrink and lower the "Bounty" text a bit, centering it in the surrounding white space.

Might try putting a faint outline on the shields, to make them stand out a bit (will work particularly well on the lighter colors, like yellow).

This ones for all you color matching naysayers. I know you're right; I just have an affinity for it.

All the denoms are a common color and the all the spears are a brownish-gray. The Spear through the word "Tower" logo is now a common element in the design.

Click this link, click the magnifying glass, then right click, view image, click on it.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f222/Rush4Rod/TowerampSpear5_zpscd285e48.png~original

TowerampSpear5_zpscd285e48.png
[/URL][/IMG]

It's definitely more readable, and does look good... but I'm sorry to see less and less color matching in the final design. It makes it a different kind of design.

Have you tried making the denoms inthe matching colors, but making the black outline stronger? That might add the readability without losing the matching.

New common denomination color looks great. Personally, I didn't mind the color-matched spears, but that's your call.

However, the lighter shields still need more definition imo. Might try using a thin, dark common outline color (charcoal/black/indigo) on all of 'em.

I love the continuity now with the uniform spears and denoms. If I were in the market for moar chips, I would seriously consider this design (though with the family's crest on the shield).

They look a little "empty" in the lower denoms (1000+ look great) so I stole a page from the Hitching Post, and did a quick mock-up on the chip that I thought it would look the worst on. Use it, don't, whatever. It just felt easier to show than to say.
T&S Chip1.jpg

I know it's not completely cleaned up. This was just for the idea, which you now get.

^^ Winner. Parchment effect is perfect for these chips, and will correct a bunch of little issues.

I was thinking the same thing, but then thought that a block wall pattern would compliment the tower. I could even be color matched with an edge spot color

TowerampSpearbrickback_zps83cbb6c7.png
[/URL][/IMG]

They look a little "empty" in the lower denoms (1000+ look great) so I stole a page from the Hitching Post, and did a quick mock-up on the chip that I thought it would look the worst on. Use it, don't, whatever. It just felt easier to show than to say.

I agree, but you didn't show a lower denom. I think the 25, 100 and 500 look OK. It's just the 1 and 5 that are a bit sparse.

attachment.php

These look really nice. You should overlay the parchment color onto the brick background. See what it looks like.

These look really nice. You should overlay the parchment color onto the brick background. See what it looks like.

Here they are with edge spot color overlaid onto the background and a bit brighter red denoms :

TowerampSpearbrickbackcolor_zps1915ee51.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Kinda like these:

paulson_chips2.jpg

The color match walls did the trick. They filled the blank areas on the lower denoms. The reason I only showed the 100,000 was because the parchment would be at it's worst on that chip, because the parchment and the shield and the chip are all in the same color family.

If you like the wall, I think this chip is ready to ship. I don't see any more room for change. :)

Love the parchment or wall effect but don't care for the color matching of the background as it takes away from the Old World look and detracts from the shield. I'd try to find a neutral color that worked for all chips.

When I saw the parchment I was yes, that is it and look great. The wall is nice but, I would really like to see the parchment

I agree with Courage. The color-matching of the background pattern in the latest set has picked up a "pastel" color quality which seems out of place for the theme. Am not sure that can be solved with color choice; it may be less pronounced with the parchment pattern instead of the bricks, because the brick background has a lot of white mixed in.

A single, neutral background would do better to tie the set together, so I lean towards the parchment, personally.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom