My Revised Design for Tower and Spear chips (2 Viewers)

Love the parchment or wall effect but don't care for the color matching of the background as it takes away from the Old World look and detracts from the shield. I'd try to find a neutral color that worked for all chips.

I agree with Courage. The color-matching of the background pattern in the latest set has picked up a "pastel" color quality which seems out of place for the theme. Am not sure that can be solved with color choice; it may be less pronounced with the parchment pattern instead of the bricks, because the brick background has a lot of white mixed in.

A single, neutral background would do better to tie the set together, so I lean towards the parchment, personally.

A single, neutral background is what I had in mind for these. Should the background be darker?

TowerampSpearbrickback_zps83cbb6c7.png

TowerampSpear5_zpscd285e48.png

I like the stone wall a lot better here, and think it can even be darker than this and look good, as long as it's not introducing a color you wouldn't expect in a stone wall. I'm wary of any brown or yellow in the stone, though, for fear of losing the yellow shields again.

...The color-matching of the background pattern in the latest set has picked up a "pastel" color quality which seems out of place for the theme. Am not sure that can be solved with color choice; ...the brick background has a lot of white mixed in...

I revised this design to give it darker backgrounds and darker shields.
attachment.php

Here they are with white denoms:
attachment.php

Here they are with edgespot color-matched denoms:
attachment.php

See full size images here:

http://www.chiptalk.net/forum/attachments/tower-spear-brick-back-color-dark-1-png.55987/

http://www.chiptalk.net/forum/attachments/tower-spear-brick-back-color-dark-2-png.55988/

http://www.chiptalk.net/forum/attachments/tower-spear-brick-back-color-dark-3-png.55989/

Attachments

• Tower & Spear brick  back color Dark 1.jpg
    Tower & Spear brick back color Dark 1.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 195
  • Tower & Spear brick  back color Dark 2.jpg
    Tower & Spear brick back color Dark 2.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 201
  • Tower & Spear brick  back color Dark 3.jpg
    Tower & Spear brick back color Dark 3.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
I still think the parchment paper version looks best, and by a large margin.

But of those recently posted, it's pretty clear from the bold visual statement of the T500 and T25K chips in the last set that the best-looking denomination color with those background images is black. Every other chip posted just looks too busy, and artsy for artsy sake with no purpose.

I agree with BG. Parchment looks best, followed by the plain grey, or grey-stone walls. With all the colors, it looks too "children's."

If you go plain grey, you can choose either of the spot colors for the shield - which helps for things like the yellow. I'd use the other spot for the shield, there, even though it violates the strict pattern of spot-matching.

That might also save the edgespot-matched denoms. I don't hate them, but some don't work right now. And I also agree with BG that the black denoms actually look best, here.

I agree with BG. Parchment looks best, followed by the plain grey, or grey-stone walls. With all the colors, it looks too "children's."

I was trying to figure out what was off, and Nomad hit the nail on the head. If the chips were an inch thick (i.e not a choking hazard) I would think they were colored for baby stimulus. Cool if your poker room is Fisher-Price® themed, not so much if your players count their age in years rather than months.

If you go plain grey, you can choose either of the spot colors for the shield - which helps for things like the yellow. I'd use the other spot for the shield, there, even though it violates the strict pattern of spot-matching.

That might also save the edgespot-matched denoms. I don't hate them, but some don't work right now. And I also agree with BG that the black denoms actually look best, here.

I prefer the stone wall background to the parchment. I think it suits the theme better. I made the bricks bigger and the background darker than the first version of stone wall background. I also made the yellow and almond shields have more contrast but it still may not be enough. I kept the second version of the shield with the darker background.

Tower%20amp%20Spear%20brick%20back%202_zpsw8furirc.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Tower%20amp%20Spear%20brick%20back%203_zpsaurjg3bf.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Much better.

I like the black and red shields... but I only like the dark green, not the light. And I dislike the pink, orange, yellow...

Would you consdier trying brown shield on the 100,000 and 1? And maroon on the 1000? Dark green on 5000? Black on 25,000?

It's still color-matched, but choosing the best available color... IMO...

If dead-set on the wall theme, I'd go with something more irregular that looks like rough stone blocks (vs sharper-edged bricks) -- and I think the current uniform gray background shade looks much better. The black denominations look better too, but should retain the bolder print font of the previous version (these are too thin). Red also works well (darker red = better), now that the backgrounds are all gray.

Dunno what you are going to do with the multi-colored shields. Some look great, others look pretty crappy. I'd consider going with all one color, personally. Color-matching aspects are overrated. Maybe go back to chip-color-matched denominations with the gray stone background.

Stocky's Iron Bank set has color-matched denoms and art, and it's turning out well - but I think the black backgrounds on all the labels is a very strong contributor to the success.

Goo pictures here: http://www.pokerchipforum.com/showt...ample-set-orders?p=47464&viewfull=1#post47464

The orange looks a wee bit off on the 1000 Martel denom, but the others have very good matching. The art has two colors matched to the chip colors for each, except (arguably), the hundo - because the primary color is the black background. The denom is sometimes in the base color, but sometimes in the spot color - whichever works best for the chip - and when I look at them, my brain goes, "great color match." I never think, "oh, it's the base and not the spot color."

Your neutral gray background may allow for color-matching denoms, like BGinGA says, but the same spot color may not be the best color to choose for some of them.

I'm not sure I'd judge the orange based on my phone pictures taken with an oddball mix of lighting (mostly LED). The colors in stocky's pictures seem more true to life, IMO. Plus, the chips aren't oiled.

The nice thing about the color match on stocky's chips is the minimalism. It doesn't scream "COLOR MATCHED" but just blends perfectly. The flower 25 might be the best example, just the black, green and yellow with nothing missing and nothing extra.

Color matching is difficult between substrates. It's also entirely possible that some of the colors that look well-matched don't look so good in other light...

Regardless, imperfect match in any given light exposes an imperfection of the color match. It doesn't always mean a better match is possible, just that the match isn't perfect. It's sometimes just not possible to get the same colors reflecting off the label as off the chip in a given light condition, because it's just no the same material.

If you want to stick with the color-matched shields, try outlining them (4-6 pt line) or using a drop shadow behind them. The lighter shields might also benefit from a 2-3 pt line defining the white from the yellow or lt green colors.

I do like where this is going though...

Members at the other site suggestd that I change the direction of the spear so that it doesn't get tangled with the T so here it is.

Tower%20amp%20Spear%20brick%20back%20right%20spear_zpsw9t6npol.png%7Eoriginal

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom