My Pelican 1510 (1 Viewer)

beaver

Two Pair
Reaction score
I ordered a couple Pelican 1510's a few months ago when they were on sale on Amazon. I just finished getting one set up for poker chips.

I cut the Pick-n-Pluck foam to fit 3 racks high by 5 racks wide for a total of 1500 chips. This leaves plenty of foam all the way around to ensure a safe ride for my chips. I put a rack upside down on top of each stack of 3 racks to make sure they stay put. This makes them the perfect height for the lid of the Pelican to hold everything in nice and tight.
full

I also did the PlastiDip trick on the foam after it was cut down to size. I highly recommend this, it should drastically extend the life of the foam before it starts to fall apart. I was a little shocked to discover that PlastDip is about $25 a can up here in Canada. A bunch of the YouTube tutorials said its about $6 in the States.

I went through about a can and a half of PlastiDip, mostly because I was being very generous. I also took some of the unused foam and created 4 rack-sized pieces of foam. I also coated these with PlastiDip.
full

My plan is to use these to fill in some of the space when I don't want to haul around all 1500 chips, as that's pretty heavy. I can put all 4 of these pieces in for a capacity of 900 chips.
full

And here is how I have it set up right now. I took one of the foam pieces out which is the right size for another rack with one upside on top for a total of 1000 chips. I also recommend the optional lid organizer that you can see in this picture. Plenty of room for 4 set ups of cards and some other accessories like buttons. I'm going to try to find some sort of money bag that will fit in the right pocket for the bank.
full

If I were to do this again, I would try glueing the 2 layers of Pick-n-Pluck together once I have them plucked and before the PlastiDip. I would also pull out a few sections of the foam for finger slots along one side which would make it a lot easier to get racks out.

Beaver, that's a great job! I've had a 1510 for several years. I set mine up for 1000 chips, but have thought of configurations to hold up to 2000, though that would be heavy.

I really like your solution for carrying fewer chips! I didn't think of that.

I'm curious if you screwed the lid organizer in or did like I did and used Velcro instead.

I can't tell what size cards you are using, but I found that I could put 2 double decks of bridge size cards in at least two of the pockets if I turned them them other way. While I've never needed that many cards at once, you never know when someone might.

Beaver, that's a great job! I've had a 1510 for several years. I set mine up for 1000 chips, but have thought of configurations to hold up to 2000, though that would be heavy.

I really like your solution for carrying fewer chips! I didn't think of that.

I'm curious if you screwed the lid organizer in or did like I did and used Velcro instead.

I can't tell what size cards you are using, but I found that I could put 2 double decks of bridge size cards in at least two of the pockets if I turned them them other way. While I've never needed that many cards at once, you never know when someone might.

I screwed the lid organizer in. I can’t see myself ever needing to really take it out, and I figured the Velcro would eventually lose it stickiness or the Velcro would fall right off.

I’m sure I could fit more cards in there, but I’m sure 4 setups will cover anything I’m doing. Any more would just add more weight.

I've have no problem with the Velcro. I could easily take the organizer out, but I've yet to have a reason to. Four setups should be enough.

I call it my tournament-in-a-box set. I could easily take another 800-1600 chips in a range bag if I needed to.

I'll have to look into that PlastiDip if I ever buy the foam to configure it a different way. I'd never even heard of it.

Check it out on YouTube, there’s a bunch of videos showing the process. Just make sure you’re in a well ventilated area. The smell is really potent.

One thing that I thought was odd, the screws that came with the lid organizer were too small. I had to go get some larger gauge screws.

Thanks for the tip on the PlastiDip. I'd probably do it outside on my back patio if I ever did it.

I remember thinking the screws were small, but I decided on the Velcro before I even bought it. I looked at the screws, but that didn't change my mind. I thought it was so easy to Velcro in, and if I ever needed to remove the organizer, it would be very easy. I also thought if I turned the case into a multi-purpose case, I could get another lid organizer that I could easily change out.

Here's a pic of my case. https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/case-for-transporting-chips.4085/page-4#post-169135

Play the McDonald's jingle....'cause I'm lovin' it!

Just picked up one of these cases on sale at Princess Auto (I think Canada's equivalent to Harbor Freight) for $20.

full

full

It's the perfect size to hold 6 racks with upside down racks on top of the top racks. Its a super tight fix so absolutely no bumping around inside.

full

full

It comes with 2 layers of pick and pluck foam. I took the entire section of foam out from the inside so its just the single piece border thats left.

full

It's a bit tough to get the racks in there right now since its such a tight fit, so I will probably find a couple pieces of more rigid foam to just slide down each side instead of using the included foam.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom