My PayPal Hacked (1 Viewer)

Aplusent

Flush
Reaction score
Just letting everyone know that today my account was hacked... it was strange the way it happened... It started with me not being able to log into my eBay account... so it prompted me to change my password... so I did but I used my same password... bought the item but as I confirmed the payment I noticed that the address it showed shipping to was a new York address with my name on it...!!! I had to contact the seller and explain...what was going on. Then I went and changed all my passwords to EVERYTHING financial that is linked to PayPal and e-Bay accounts just to be safe! When I went into my PayPal account... all my addresses were deleted except for the bogus address to New York... I deleted it and re-entered my addresses!!! My Google account showed that it was accessed from Sao Paulo, Brazil from a Samsung Galaxy 8 Phone and So I took a picture of it... then put in a password that takes 2 minutes to type in!!! lol anyway I just wanted to let you guys know... Keep an eye out
upload_2018-2-26_0-0-55.gif
o_O

Highly recommend using a password manager for this reason. Different randomly generated passwords for every login.

I have used 1Password for a few years, but there are a few other good ones out there as well.

Glad you noticed and got it fixed quick!

I’d highly recommend using a password manager and a different password for every site you use. I use LastPass and highly recommend it. Also run a full virus scan (boot time virus scan) to ensure you don’t have any type of capture virus running on your PC. Good luck!

Highly recommend using a password manager for this reason. Different randomly generated passwords for every login.

I have used 1Password for a few years, but there are a few other good ones out there as well.

Glad you noticed and got it fixed quick!
Haha, you beat me to it.

I have now went to a 2 step verification on most of the sites!!! Just a pain in the ass to deal with!!! F#$@ing thieves!!!:mad:

I'm glad you caught it , wonder who's at that NY address trying to get chips

I’ve never done a password manager. Can you guys elaborate a bit? How do they work? Does it autocomplete login credentials for sites you normally frequent? Etc?

Yes, you set up a master password (most secure is generally a short "sentence" made up of randomly generated words with some numbers and digits sprinkled in) that gets you logged into a locally stored database of passwords and you use it to generate, save, and auto complete logins for and sites you save.

If you want to go open source free route, keepass is a good manager but it won’t have all the mobile features of the paid ones like lastpass

I use Roboform. There are several good ones. Do yourself a favor and start useing one. Inexpensive insurance.

I’ve never done a password manager. Can you guys elaborate a bit? How do they work? Does it autocomplete login credentials for sites you normally frequent? Etc?
So I use LastPass and it works in several ways. On my PC I have a browser extension that I log into every time I reboot my PC. When I am surfing the web and get to a log on page there are now icons to auto populate the username and password. Or I can open the extension and launch the site with auto login. It's a great tool for those websites you visit once a year and can never remember what the password was.

Also there is a phone app that you can use to accomplish the same thing.

Some of the other benefits are you can share access with your spouse so they have access to your info if needed. You get to choose what you share.

It's a huge pain to set it all up initially, took me the good part of a weekend, but now every single site I access online has it's own password that is randomly generated, and matches the requirements of that site. 2 capital letters, a special character, and a length of 12? No problem my password is now C2upGT$vxl7k and it's auto saved. All I have to remember is one master password to log into my vault.

LastPass also allows saving secure notes, files, and form fills.

Give it a shot - take the time to set it all up and you won't go back.

Yes, you set up a master password (most secure is generally a short "sentence" made up of randomly generated words with some numbers and digits sprinkled in) that gets you logged into a locally stored database of passwords and you use it to generate, save, and auto complete logins for and sites you save.

a) Any recommendation for a particular password manager that works easily across multiple home computers and laptops?

b) Including some flavor of Linux?

Tnx...

a) Any recommendation for a particular password manager that works easily across multiple home computers and laptops?

b) Including some flavor of Linux?

Tnx...

I've only used 1Password, and I like it enough that I haven't strayed away...since as @CraigT78 mentioned it's a bit of a hassle to set up.

Lastpass does seem to mentioned Linux support right on the front page, so you may want to check that out. 1Password has a free 30 day trial, and LastPass looks like it has a free "non-premium" version that you could try out sans some features.

I've only used 1Password, and I like it enough that I haven't strayed away...since as @CraigT78 mentioned it's a bit of a hassle to set up.

Lastpass does seem to mentioned Linux support right on the front page, so you may want to check that out. 1Password has a free 30 day trial, and LastPass looks like it has a free "non-premium" version that you could try out sans some features.
I did the premium version of last pass and did not need the extra features. I'm currently using the free version and love it.

What kind of Linux you talking about @pltrgyst?

Hmmm - not sure then - what web browser do you use? The add-on is browser based so you'd have to check compatibility.

Firefox, since Opera abandoned their engine development.

Thanks. I'll load free Lastpass onto a test machine first and see...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom