My own design made completely from scratch (1 Viewer)

LionPaladin88

Sitting Out
Reaction score
So i am going to give a little bit of history about my set design. This is one of the first times that other people see my own work so its a little..... daunting....

i started playing poker back in 1998 and had this idea kicking around in my head for years about custom chips , and now coming back from my background in graphic design, and VFX i have the skills to make my own design. these chips are the result of about a years worth of work (not steady)

so i present my design for my custom chips when i start hosting my own games this summer (pandemic pending) i am calling my poker room the.....

Sunstar Vault 838

Since these are still a WIP i have private poker room in the name (it may stay it may go) and i don't know how well the font is readable, for the denoms when they are to scale. and i might put my location on the chips as well (also undecided)

These are the FULL chip, because i am most likely going ceramic with them, there was one place i found that makes them and i can get 44MM (which these will be) and they will be 18g a piece because i like a heavier chip, and i also need to design the edges will are probably really simple they MAY have the denom on the edge in roman numerals (also undecided)

i picked the Octagon (also 44MM) for my tournament set because "rule of cool" it may stay... it may go... i haven't decided yet i also have a matching felt for a custom table designs as well that is pretty much the same as the sprocket design which i will probably post in due time.

my biggest thing coming with these is i hate black and i hate white we live in a world of color and because of my background i take that very seriously.

Other themes in these chips... any canadians in this group should see a pattern with the chips and the colors and history of canadian money for the main set. and the standard gold, silver bronze (with pewter and ruby) added in for effect

either way enjoy (C&C) is also welcome let me know what everyone things

i plan to have these done in the near future,

my favorite chips the 2, 50, 100, 1000, let me know your favorites!

Attachments

• LP88_Chip-group-v30.jpg
    LP88_Chip-group-v30.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 592
I like the colours (without knowing Canadian money), but the one thing I know for certain is the denominations need to be bigger and a lot clearer. Nice concept though.

For hating black and white there is a lot of black, they are so dark they will be hard to read in most lighting. Denominations are virtually unreadable and you are going to have a ton of dirty stack problems., especially the $25 and $500, which are virtually identical.

Since these are going to be so colourful, and no "color" name can be assigned to each (i.e. "the red chip" etc), it's absolutely imperative that the denominations grow a lot larger.
how do you mean grow alot larger? like a larger size? or bigger demon?

For hating black and white there is a lot of black, they are so dark they will be hard to read in most lighting. Denominations are virtually unreadable and you are going to have a ton of dirty stack problems., especially the $25 and $500, which are virtually identical.
that can also be the compression on the picture looking at it not its now a very good clear picture. and what do you mean dirty stack problem? i don't understand? and how are the 25 and 500 identical? in what ways? please explain

I love the originality.
I don’t like these chips at all.
But this is exactly the sort of thing I’ve been hoping for, when people design ceramic chips. Take advantage of the medium! Do something original and interesting! You’ve done that, so who cares that it doesn’t suit my tastes.
I agree that they need bigger denominations to be functional.

I agree I think a pot full of those mixed would make me dizzy., I would have no idea what was in the pot.

If you plan on bleeding the spot patterns onto the edges then the chips will look exactly the same in stacks. Even if you don't, I assume you will use at least a base red to try and match the colours on the face. How will you tell the chips apart when in stacks?
that can also be the compression on the picture looking at it not its now a very good clear picture. and what do you mean dirty stack problem? i don't understand? and how are the 25 and 500 identical? in what ways? please explain

A dirty stack is when you have one or more chips of the wrong denomination in a stack. This error can be magnified if colors aren't different enough, especially around the edges.

If you stack 15x $25s and 5x $500s mixed together, it could be very hard to see that they are different chips, those producing dirty stacks. The centres are different colours but you can't see that when chips are stacked.

But this is exactly the sort of thing I’ve been hoping for, when people design ceramic chips. Take advantage of the medium! Do something original and interesting!
I agree!!

@LionPaladin88, I think that with the right changes, this can become an awesome set! Some have already mentioned that the denoms need to be larger in size (not value). Also the colors need to change to avoid dirty stacks. I'm nowhere near talented enough to know how, but think of it like this: The chips should be easily distinguishable at a glance both when looking at them in a pot and from the side when they're stacked. As some have mentioned, a 25 in a stack of 500 (or vice versa) would probably not be noticed. Also, a pot of 25 and 500 chips would be hard to estimate "at a glance", you would need to count it chip by chip.

IMO there are more chips than just 25 vs 500 that have this problem, but those two are the most extreme.

Also, I believe that all colors become duller when printed on chips. Color samples are your friend!

Good luck, and keep us updated! :)

Also, the color issues have kept the discussion away from the actual denoms. The tourney denoms are fine. For cash you have some extra denoms. The "standard" for NL is 0.25/1/5/[20 or 25]/100
The 10 and 50 are not needed. Neither are the 2, although I've read they are used for fixed limit games of certain stakes, so it depends on what you will be playing.

This hobby is great because there are so many different kinds of chips and we all have our preferences.

While these chips don’t appeal to me that doesn’t matter because you like them. But as others have said you probably need to do some changes to prevent dirty stacks and make sure people can tell what’s in the pot.

Good luck and get what you like.

With this much detail and dense color palette you might double and triple check your manufacturers quality control. There is ton of potential for bleed and blur here, and if they aren’t top notch in what they are doing your chips will look like a muddled mess after a while. The process for making these is printing on paper - which has sharp lines - then physically transferring to another medium via Sublimation - and lots of times colors sublime across borders a lot. You may not notice it in your initial euphoric inspection, but you need to look hard for it. Centering most likely will vary as well, so your chip design may not always be “round” when it’s actually sublimed on the chip.

fantastic design, but with something this complex quality is going to matter more than usual.

I can only imagine if you were high and stared at those chips for too long what you would feel like. I think I will be seeing all kinds of things. To me personally I don’t like them even a bit. But hey , that’s my opinion and the beauty of it is that it don’t matter at all what I think of them:)

Good luck , they will need some work on the domination size and if you like them go for it ;)

I think these are salvageable with a few simple changes. I’d like to see them without the large black cog shape. It takes up wayyyy too much space on the surface of the chip. Space which is critical to chip identification at a glance. The cog also isn’t “perfect” and it doesn’t seem to fit the artwork below it.
As was stated before, the denominations need to be MUCH larger. The colors could also use some tonal adjustment to create a bit of separation. They’re all very saturated tones. I personally love that but they are still VERY dark.
The text around the center would also look better without a gradient. Bright white or a color match would work if a more defined font and size were used. The black ring they’re printed on *could stay but would require the text to be big enough to overcome the limits of print resolution inherent to the DyeSub process. Little white letters printed inside of black always look “blown” and not crisp.
I’d say it’s worth working on. The base idea is solid and the color combos are nice. Just wish could see more of them under that black cog.
One rule of thumb. Print life sized versions. What looks great on a monitor is never what you’ll get. This is especially true of the medium your working with which has a smaller color gamut and has resolution limits.

Last edited:
The new colors look great, that will greatly reduce the dirty stack problem with the different edges you have.

i like the direction you are going with , just like what @upNdown down said, take full advantage of the ceranmic. I personally think there is too much in the design, your edge spots look like a cogwheel and so does your inlay. You came to the right place for opinions. Work in progress.

also i think you have too many denoms as well, in a small 25c/50c cash game you would have 25c, 50c, $1,$2, $5, $10. $20 $25, it would make things messy. but then again its your game, you dont have to conform to what others say is the norm. Im a huge chip lover so when i hosted, i wanted to have big stacks in front of everyone, in a 25c/50c game i would try to have all the quaters on the table just so people can have more chips to play with! some people hated having big stacks!

Why so many denominations?
because this is a combo low/medium and tourney set all in one

how it goes are

.25/1/5
.50/2/10

then your standard torn set of 25/100/500/1000/5000 etc i ran into problems with anything higher then $5000 on the chips due to lack of space so since i already altered my original design. So i am not going to do it a second time to fit in a 25K chip so they don't exist there is no sense going higher then that anyway

the octagon chips got removed because it was easier to add more edges (which is based on isometric polygons etc)

i like the direction you are going with , just like what @upNdown down said, take full advantage of the ceranmic. I personally think there is too much in the design, your edge spots look like a cogwheel and so does your inlay. You came to the right place for opinions. Work in progress.

also i think you have too many denoms as well, in a small 25c/50c cash game you would have 25c, 50c, $1,$2, $5, $10. $20 $25, it would make things messy. but then again its your game, you dont have to conform to what others say is the norm. Im a huge chip lover so when i hosted, i wanted to have big stacks in front of everyone, in a 25c/50c game i would try to have all the quaters on the table just so people can have more chips to play with! some people hated having big stacks!

thats because this is an all in one set, so that i can take chips as i seen them for different purposes/games etc

if you think this was too much for the design you should seen the old designs... i had a coat of arms type shield in the middle underneath the denom, and the wheat wreath and 3 different types of fonts.... this is seriously toned down. As for the sprocket comment. thats the point its supposed to look like that, i use this same one on the felt table design and it has 10 open spaces which MATCHES my decagon table top design.

i am still torn about the middle though. I wanted some kind of vault symbol and my location and time of creation in there somewhere. But i don't know if that is going in i still have to REDO the table top felt to match the chips

i am going to move the Octagons (and possibly a different shape like a hexagon if there is such a thing) to my dealer/bounty/small blind/big blind/all in chip project instead)

The new colors look great, that will greatly reduce the dirty stack problem with the different edges you have.

Since i fell in love with the HSI chips, and sadly i doubt i'll be able to get a full set of those since they are all sold out :(, i basically "recreated" their colors for some of my chips. The only one i am not happy with is the 100s yellow green so i will probably change that again to try and stand out more, i am kinda limited what i can do it CMYK in Photoshop CS5 however

I love seeing someone's design progress and evolve. I think you've made some great changes. I'd be interested in seeing a mock-up of how they look in stacks.

One suggestion is to try something different with the text color. With everything in yellow it still feels like all the chips look too similar on the face.

My only suggestion would be to shrink the outer ring on the face just a bit to let a little more color show.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom