My New Drill Press, Assembly (Many Pic's) (1 Viewer)

I have that bit. Mine appears to not be 100% flat. It has a slight bevel in the middle when used so to completely remove hot stamp, you have to mill deeper. YMMV.
(ignore that the milling is not centered)

Man the options are limited and I can't find a single local store that carries anything like it. My press can't take a 1/2 shank either so that limits me. I think I'll give this one a try but I also need to track down some terrible condition THC hotstamps that are willing to be experimented on! I figure some carefully applied sandpaper could do the trick on taking that center area down.

Man the options are limited and I can't find a single local store that carries anything like it. My press can't take a 1/2 shank either so that limits me. I think I'll give this one a try but I also need to track down some terrible condition THC hotstamps that are willing to be experimented on! I figure some carefully applied sandpaper could do the trick on taking that center area down.

Yea, I thought that too, but then I remembered that I have 1400 chips to do. I need to find a better way. :tdown:

Or switching out the bit and running them all through again just to remove the center raised area?

Yea, I thought that too, but then I remembered that I have 1400 chips to do. I need to find a better way. :tdown:
Oh that won't work to run that many chips through twice...

Buy the magnate brand bit...you won't be disappointed. Nice and level bit. 7/8 or 1". Amazon should have it. I had no luck finding them in the local hardware stores.

These surfacing bits are designed to leave a flat surface when moved across a work piece. To ensure the surface is flat, the cutting bits may be slightly concave but as the bits move, they leave a flat surface. They mustn't be convex otherwise they'd leave a series of grooves. Many surfacing bits have the center missing entirely.

If you've received a perfectly flat bit, I'd say you're lucky. But I'd expect it's not too hard to grind it flat - I have just bought one and will experiment.

I’d look for a center cutting, down cut hss end mill. Number of flutes isn’t important but if you have a choice then I’d pick 3.

Won’t be cheap but should cut flat.

Magnate quoted 6-7 business days for delivery, my chip killing accessory arrived in under 12 hours..let the milling commence!

Any tips to centering or just eyeball each chip when milling?
I put on a gear sample label on the chip where it look centered. Then I brought the bit down while off to see how it lined up. Tried to lock everything down as tight as I could once i got it where I wanted. It’s not a perfect set up /jig and there is some variance in how the chip sits so I am having to do a little more eyeballing which is slowing me down and I’ve had a few off center. But overall not terrible.

I put on a gear sample label on the chip where it look centered. Then I brought the bit down while off to see how it lined up. Tried to lock everything down as tight as I could once i got it where I wanted. It’s not a perfect set up /jig and there is some variance in how the chip sits so I am having to do a little more eyeballing which is slowing me down and I’ve had a few off center. But overall not terrible.
That’s about what I imagined to do. I also imagine it to be time consuming lol. Was hoping there was an easy/fast way.

Now that my Right Arm is getting to where I can use if again after 1 year, I am starting on the HHR's that I have.

Any pro tips on how to get stamped labels ready to relabel?

The label caused issues when I tried milling a test chip
870E1B92-6AA1-4DC7-A1A8-DC9654BD3444.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom