My Lucky Derby Chips Cleaned... Minor Problems (1 Viewer)

Trihonda

Straight Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
I cleaned and inspected my LD chips today. All in all, they were what was expected. However, I did notice a few chips beyond repair...

One of the blue $3 chips was drilled, and another was chipped severely. Both unusable. I'm going to try to order a couple more replacements.

I also noticed that someone "inked" a couple of the $1 red chips... (actually there were at least 6 of them like this). Out of 200 chips, I can't complain. I'm similarly trying to order a few more reds to replace.

The charcoal $20's were a mixed bag. Out of 52 chips, I got 8 that were similar condition to the blues (very good), and the rest were as bad as the $5's. The brown $5 chips are not horrible, but certainly well used. I likely won't use these in my set (color isn't my fav), so I'm sure I'll pop off a WTS in the near future (200 of the $5 chips and 40 of the $20's).

Notice the inking...

DSC_0010-1.jpg

Certainly a chip that aint gonna see felt time...

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

The majority of the Blue chips are in great condition.

DSC_0016-1.jpg

Try alcohol on that ink? Keep it away from the stamp, but I'd be surprised if it hurt the clay... let us know for science.

I had a bunch of the $2s inked like that inside the mold, I'd say about 1:40 are like that.

Did anyone else get chips that looked like they'd been broken and glued back together? I have two so far that I've noticed like that... but that's why you get extras. I wonder if it was the work of someone at home or a cashier with too much time on their hands.

lsLDoXr.jpg

ty7TZge.jpg

wQAmgBY.jpg

Last edited:
I had a bunch of the $2s inked like that inside the mold, I'd say about 1:40 are like that.

Did anyone else get chips that looked like they'd been broken and glued back together? I have two so far that I've noticed like that... but that's why you get extras. I wonder if it was the work of someone at home or a cashier with too much time on their hands.
lsLDoXr.jpg
Two chips with edge-to-edge cracks; didn't look close enough to see if had been glued. Another half dozen with serious rat bites taken out. That's what extras are for.

Most interesting discovery is that even an inadvertent over-night soaking in a strong mixture of Simple Green didn't do a thing to the hot stamps on 8 of the Starbursts.

I have a $20 that is almost brand new, and another one that is basically a bicycle tire - the hotstamp is almost completely gone from one side, and I don't just mean the foil has worn off. I mean the side of the chip is smooth and blank! :eek:

Alcohol will dry the chip out really fast - you will almost certainly need to oil it a bit after cleaning. It might damage the color permanently - some colors seem to be more susceptible than others.

Buying extras is always smart.

Or do what some people used to do, buy double, keep the best and sell the rest :)

Simple Green def hot-stamp compatible. So is Resolve Carpet Cleaner (not the Oxy version).

Take a Dental Tool or sharp flat knife and scrape out the inked spots, then a cotton swab/alcohol and they look much better. Can't completely get rid of it though.

I cleaned mine with Oxi and had no problems at all.

I'll post some pic's later.

I could swear I put this one light brown chip in looking the same as the 4-spot Paulsons, since I sorted the BCC chips and 3-spots out beforehand! Don't know how it didn't stand out in that batch.

6vVd55h.jpg

TfOU5CZ.jpg

I started to clean the molds of the $20s in poor shape (most of them) but gave up. Not worth the effort; I think bicycle tires is a great description for them. Really disappointing since I love the colors and have even more on the way from the BF sale.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom