My Home League 2021 (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Ok. I’m going to get a home game going in February. Covid or no Covid. I’ll take precautions as needed. The attached pics have my league info, set up and rules. If you have a couple minutes to look it over and give me your thoughts I’d appreciate it.

F9700497-BC63-48B8-9AAA-B5BE8D577EB8.jpeg
50B32191-0327-4D5B-AFA2-4195AE1E7EC0.jpeg
50B32191-0327-4D5B-AFA2-4195AE1E7EC0.jpeg
F9700497-BC63-48B8-9AAA-B5BE8D577EB8.jpeg
119E0780-A8CC-4AC9-8483-74EB23761C98.jpeg
119E0780-A8CC-4AC9-8483-74EB23761C98.jpeg

I don't know if I'd like the points for high hand and bad beat. 1 point seems like a lot compared to first being a max of 6 points (5 for 1st and 1 for showing up). Technically, I could finish 4th place and get 4 points (1 for showing up, 1 for 4th place, 1 for bad beat, 1 for high hand). Seems like it could be too much "luck" points involved. If someone beats me out in the overall points because they won multiple high hands and bad beats throughout the league even though I had higher finishes overall, for example, that wouldn't sit well with me. Just my 2 cents.

Mine is similar. you might want to double the points on 10 d-g so that the event winners of the night are worth more points. I do like having an appearance point as well which encourages attendance but isnt that major if someone misses a week. Any thoughts given to a point for bounties? It's an extra accounting task but does help separate the points totals for the end of the year. Also my final table is a total free roll and only top 9 make it. But mine isnt limited to the same 16 every week, so i understand including all at the final event. But overall great structure and league. Good luck.

Agreed; I rather the 'bonus' wins be applied to the extra championship stack chips vs affecting the regular season point standings (which should only reflect strength of play, imo).

Maybe award T200 to T500 bonus chips for each bad-beat and high-hand collected during the season. Not trivial, but doesn't affect the points race (and shouldn't).

I have always had an issue with leagues that over reward towards a main event tournament (*Note, this is for leagues where the final night is a paid entry)

A player that has won more events has already taken home most of the money from each night. They are also now going to be rewarded with a much larger starting stack for the final night.

I much prefer that players are compensated more for attendance. They are the ones contributing $5 each night towards the final night prize pool. Winning the league most likely means you've won a bunch of money from the regular events already. They don't also need a big advantage for a championship night. In fact, that might even drive attendance away. A person that is losing quite a bit may stop coming during the season because they can't catch up in points. They may also not come to the championship event because they will be starting with a crippled stack.

Overall pretty good, the things that stuck out when I perused

-20 min breaks are kind of long (maybe your group is very social prefer that though)

-10c may want to clarify that both cards must play (if indeed that is indeed a requirement)

-11g seems like a bad gimmick

I have always had an issue with leagues that over reward towards a main event tournament (*Note, this is for leagues where the final night is a paid entry)

A player that has won more events has already taken home most of the money from each night. They are also now going to be rewarded with a much larger starting stack for the final night.

I much prefer that players are compensated more for attendance. They are the ones contributing $5 each night towards the final night prize pool. Winning the league most likely means you've won a bunch of money from the regular events already. They don't also need a big advantage for a championship night. In fact, that might even drive attendance away. A person that is losing quite a bit may stop coming during the season because they can't catch up in points. They may also not come to the championship event because they will be starting with a crippled stack.
My group are all degens so they will be there if I told them last place in the league gets 5 big blinds for the final table.

Its kind of like getting the one seed in March Madness, you play better you get rewarded. But if it was more social than poker oriented I definitely see your point. I’m sure once I get enough replies I’ll sit down and make some changes based on all the good input. Thanks for responding.

Overall pretty good, the things that stuck out when I perused

-20 min breaks are kind of long (maybe your group is very social prefer that though)

-10c may want to clarify that both cards must play (if indeed that is indeed a requirement)

-11g seems like a bad gimmick

20 is long and I went back and forth on 15 or 20. And a combo, 20 till first break when the tables are fuller and then 15 after first break.

Thanks for 10c. I did meant both cards play and will change that.

11g is most definitely a bad gimmick. And will lead to the person getting it, if anyone does, getting harassed brutally. Which is the reason for it. But it’s not written in stone. Maybe make them use a donkey or something. LOL.

I don't know if I'd like the points for high hand and bad beat. 1 point seems like a lot compared to first being a max of 6 points (5 for 1st and 1 for showing up). Technically, I could finish 4th place and get 4 points (1 for showing up, 1 for 4th place, 1 for bad beat, 1 for high hand). Seems like it could be too much "luck" points involved. If someone beats me out in the overall points because they won multiple high hands and bad beats throughout the league even though I had higher finishes overall, for example, that wouldn't sit well with me. Just my 2 cents.
Good point. I still want the regular season winner to be the guy who played the best poker and not who got lucky on high hands or bad bears.

Agreed; I rather the 'bonus' wins be applied to the extra championship stack chips vs affecting the regular season point standings (which should only reflect strength of play, imo).

Maybe award T200 to T500 bonus chips for each bad-beat and high-hand collected during the season. Not trivial, but doesn't affect the points race (and shouldn't).
I like this. A lot. Thanks for the suggestion.

I have always had an issue with leagues that over reward towards a main event tournament.
They don't also need a big advantage for a championship night. In fact, that might even drive attendance away. A person that is losing quite a bit may stop coming during the season because they can't catch up in points. They may also not come to the championship event because they will be starting with a crippled stack.
Our actual results indicate that larger starting stacks have very little effect on the event's outcome -- only once in 16 tries has the starting 'big stack' won our championship event.

Despite this, I've also found that players keep coming to the regular-season events towards the end in order to earn more bonuses for the championship event if already qualified (or to attempt to still qualify or defend their spot). The final game's roster is never totally set until the last regular-season event results are in, due to how the league is structured.

The final game is a free-roll, so even if short-stacked, all eliglble players attend.

The final game is a free-roll, so even if short-stacked, all eliglble players attend.

That's a big point there though. In this case, the final night is a $100 entry fee (with regular games being a $50 entry fee, plus a $5 fee towards the final night.) So someone that attended all the games, will be paying $150 towards the final game. If they have consistantly been at the bottom of the standings, they would not have won any money from a regular game, and will be starting the final event with a 10k + 1k attendance bonus. The chip leader will be starting with 15k chips.

Again, I'm not against rewarding good play , I just think it needs to find a balance with how many rewards a player gets. (I play in a league where the regular games gets 95% of the night's fees, points are weighted to a bigger final night stack, plus the higher up you finish, gets you reduced / free entry to the final night. To me that's way too many rewards. I play though, because I just like poker and the people in the game.)

Great argument for free-roll finals, imo.

^^All great valid points.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom