My Game Room Build. (3 Viewers)

Very nice thread and room buildout. So, when’s your first game?

Still need to get the countertop. Well that, and need to get the main house finished so I can move in. Hopefully 4-6 weeks.

It's really coming along great. Can't wait to see it once you have it finished!

So just as things are starting to come together, disaster strikes. Found out the hard way that the house needs a french drain. Behind the kitchenette is a sub area and above that are rooms on the mainfloor. Well we got about 5" of rain in the last 3 days, and it seeped through the soil and below the footing and into the sub area. From there it seeped into the game room. A good amount of water was all over the floor. I went and got a shop vac, dehumidifier and air blower. I dried up the floor and set up the dehumidifier, then my general came and brought another dehumidifier. As of now we dont think there is any permanent damage, other than maybe a little drywall or paint touch up. The concrete floor may need to be resealed. A few areas got messed up and look ugly now, pic below, but I talked to the guy who did the grind/seal job and he thinks it will all wick out. He said he will help me get it right, so thats reassuring.

What I saw when I walked in

Where most of the water seeped through the wall.

Bathroom, most of the water is hiding under the ram board.

Concrete kinda ugly now with all those spots, but they should dry out.

After cleanup. All the ram board pulled up and floor dried out. Two dehumidifiers plus a blower.

Man that really sucks, sorry to hear :tdown: Good luck getting everything cleaned up and straightened out.

Man, this sucks. Had a pipe burst in my previous apartment, and we had to move out for six weeks with the dryers running 24/7. Concrete was fine, but had to replace the wood flooring due to potential surviving mold organisms.

To make light of the situation: @SendThatStack - more like send that VAC..

<ducks>

Man, this sucks. Had a pipe burst in my previous apartment, and we had to move out for six weeks with the dryers running 24/7. Concrete was fine, but had to replace the wood flooring due to potential surviving mold organisms.

To make light of the situation: @SendThatStack - more like send that VAC..

<ducks>

Ha, it took me a minute to get that for some reason. My dad had a pipe burst 2 thanksgivings ago and they had to redo almost their whole downstairs. Water is nothing to play around with.

I know this pain all to well, we just tore everything out of basement after a power outage during my sump's cycle. I believe the power came on and the sump kicked on immediately, caused a surge, and tripped the breaker it was on. This just so happened to be one of the larger rains we had all year and water crawled through our basement due to the high water table. For reference, I had about 4-6" of drywall wet from the water wicking and it completely dried out without issue. My girlfriend's father is a General Contractor and highly recommended that fans and dehumidifers run for 4 days straight, even if dry out appears complete. The concern is behind the drywall and within the stud cavities that don't feel the air movement as well. Good luck with the floors, I have a feeling it will dry out well for ya!

I just got back from checking it out. I think everything will be okay. I will keep the fan and dehumid running for another day or two.

Glad you found out about this before you finished. Kinda a good/bad thing in a way. Looks great so far! Eager to see the final product.

I went back today and the concrete looks fine. Also went to a stoneyard and got some samples for the countertop material

These are all quartz

Also considering granite, but I have been told granite is dated now. This is the color I like, just a random internet photo I dont have a sample atm.

I also like this flannel gray soapstone material.

Last edited:
I went back today and the concrete looks fine. Also went to a stoneyard and got some samples for the countertop material

These are all quartz
View attachment 244000

Also considering granite, but I have been told granite is dated now. This is the color I like, just a random internet photo I dont have a sample atm.
View attachment 244013

I also like this flannel gray soapstone material.
View attachment 244014

I didn’t realize quartz had become so dominant now. We put in quartz in our kitchen about 10 years ago and our friends were asking why we would do that. They believed it to be a cheap, inferior alternative. We knew it wasn’t but there was no convincing them.

Will you need to build along the inside walls draining to a sump pump?

The water naturally flows to a low point in the sub area and I am going to setup a pump there as a backup. Will be getting a french drain in once things dry out a little.

I didn’t realize quartz had become so dominant now. We put in quartz in our kitchen about 10 years ago and our friends were asking why we would do that. They believed it to be a cheap, inferior alternative. We knew it wasn’t but there was no convincing them.

We put quartz in the upstairs kitchen and its really nice. Unfortunately the fabricators did poor job so we are in the middle of getting it rectified.

Last edited:
My one friend that has a keg has a weird issue with the psi. Every time you pour a beer after not pouring one for a while the whole glass will be bubbles and head. Then you dump that out and the next glass is perfect. Not sure about what the issue is but the result is a lot of wasted beer.
Sometimes it’s not the psi factor, but possible the lines coming from the kegerator to the tap are warmer than the beer, this sometimes will cause bubbles and all head. I know some people put inline fans that are in the fridge and go to the tap. Hopefully that helps.

Is there any downside to soapstone?

It scratches easily but thats part of the deal. Some people just leave them in and like the look, others fix them. You can easily fix them at home either by sanding the spot or oiling it.

The sliding door finally showed up and has been installed. Just needs a drywall patch, casing, and paint touch up. This thing is awesome, its bigger than it appears, about 8 feet or so.

Attachments

• IMG_2574.JPG
    IMG_2574.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 222
Not a whole lot has happened lately. Been working on getting the main house finished so we can move in. The carpenter came and cased the door to the bathroom, its lookin real good now.

Most of the people I know who have kegerators (3 I can think of at the moment) quit using them years ago. Bottles and cans for the variety and longer term ease of storage. One buddy said he felt he was simply drinking too much because it was too easy to pour a beer. The others talked of the waste and pain in the ass factor of cleaning. I’d recommend a fridge but no kegerator:

Um I have a kegerator and definitely drink too much beer owing to convenience! I also have a wine cellar and that results in alcohol abuse as well. For cleaning I have a device that I fill with cleaning solution when I change the keg. CO2 pushes the cleaning solution through the lines and it is extremely easy and takes five minutes. Ive had it for six years and it always has a 1/2 keg. I have thought about getting a new tower with two taps so I could put two 1/4 or 1/6 for variety but haven’t pulled the trigger. I have a swimming pool so the kegerator sees constant duty all summer - without the pool it probably wouldn’t see much use.

Its been a while. A lot had to happen in the main house so we can move in. Heres the game room update. Countertop and faucet went in. Microwave and fridge installed, range will go in when I get some more time. Bathroom lights and faucet went in, door got stained. Slider door to the outside also got stained. The place is a mess right now, as soon as the main house is finished we can start moving stuff out of the game room.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom