My First Poker Table Build Help!

Polochris

Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

So I am just scratching the surface, and just started doing some research. My brother-in-law and I are going to make a table together.

I would love some advice, and tools needed. Specific materials?

I want a pretty basic table. Nothing fancy. See below, but with no cup holders.

Do you think duplicating this table would be an easy build? How does one go about adding a betting line like this? Custom felt from the man in Canada?

Any help or PDF plans would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

9BD631EA-9F66-4901-8D37-8D581B7CC49F.jpeg
4E92CFF2-7B78-4158-A937-F1A750C99D38.jpeg

AllHoosier

Two Pair
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did my first build recently. After a lot of research on the forum I settled on an 84” x 42” oval, 3/4” raised rail, no cup holders, a custom Chanman felt, and gorilla gaming legs. Absolutely no regrets on any of those choices. As far as tools, definitely use a router.

Polochris

Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did my first build recently. After a lot of research on the forum I settled on an 84” x 42” oval, 3/4” raised rail, no cup holders, a custom Chanman felt, and gorilla gaming legs. Absolutely no regrets on any of those choices. As far as tools, definitely use a router.

Good info there! Is the raised rail pretty tricky?

allforcharity

Royal Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can try to freehand (or mask off) a betting line using some sort of paint pen over whatever you decide to use for a surface felt. Advantage: cheap. Disadvantage: inconsistent look, may wear strangely.

A printed line will always look best, I think. And since it would mean a custom cloth anyway (same cost), might as well custom design the whole thing.

I suppose another option would be to construct and felt the betting area entirely differently to the player area, but I think that might come with its own challenges, too.

Polochris

Flush
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can try to freehand (or mask off) a betting line using some sort of paint pen over whatever you decide to use for a surface felt. Advantage: cheap. Disadvantage: inconsistent look, may wear strangely.

A printed line will always look best, I think. And since it would mean a custom cloth anyway (same cost), might as well custom design the whole thing.

I suppose another option would be to construct and felt the betting area entirely differently to the player area, but I think that might come with its own challenges, too.

I agree. I think I’ll just buy custom felt, as I love a better section.

AllHoosier

Two Pair
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good info there! Is the raised rail pretty tricky?
Not too tricky and definitely worth it IMO. There are a number of build threads on here that address different ways to accomplish it. I did quite a bit of reading before I started.

celticnoel

Two Pair
Site Vendor
Reaction score
My advice would be to go for it! Take yer time and use a router if possible, ask plenty questions if unsure of anything, good luck mate!

Raphmivey

Two Pair
Reaction score
Talking about routers, I have a cheap with cheap bits. Does the job for my needs but using it to build my poker table scares me a little. Do I need to upgrade the router, the bits, both or none for this job in your opinions? Thx

4SUMERZ

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Talking about routers, I have a cheap with cheap bits. Does the job for my needs but using it to build my poker table scares me a little. Do I need to upgrade the router, the bits, both or none for this job in your opinions? Thx
I just used a cheap Sears router with new sharp bits, and I had no issues doing all that I had to do. I built a jig out of 1/8 Inch plywood to make the semi-circles on the race track, and to also run a 1/8" indent into the race track so the light diffuser could be inserted and glued, and held in place by the top rail.

Attachments

• Table with lights.jpg
    Table with lights.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Jackypoo

Pair
Reaction score

Attachments

• 20201025_112616.jpg
    20201025_112616.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 49
  • 20201025_112547.jpg
    20201025_112547.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 51

i'm nobody

Flush
Site Vendor
Reaction score
Buy new bits. It's like using a mitre saw or a table saw with a crappy old blade. Once you get the new ones in place its like cuttin' through butta.

Top Bottom