My First Custom Set - Review and Feedback Thread (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I know there is a lot going on in the inlays and that will need to be changed. I just have that in there as a place holder until I get some help from a designer here. Since I went with the USMC theme, I really liked the Red/White/Blue on the 1 and 5 chips.

I also know that a lot of people like spot progression, but I just keep coming back to this design.

All that said, I welcome feedback and suggestions and am very open to new ideas.

USMC Set.PNG

The inlay isn't really going to be like that I don't think. I'd like to get together with some of the forum's exceptional designers before I settle on an inlay. That was really just a place holder to show an idea of what it could look like. I put that together with MS Word and MS Paint in a few minutes.

I like both the $1 and $5 individually. But you are asking for dirty stacks with those patterns on both chips. Personally, I’d pick one of the chips to be the red/white/blue chip and go in a different direction for the other.

I also am a fan of a set with the same spot pattern on all chips, and 3d14 works well.

Good luck.

I like both the $1 and $5 individually. But you are asking for dirty stacks with those patterns on both chips. Personally, I’d pick one of the chips to be the red/white/blue chip and go in a different direction for the other.

I also am a fan of a set with the same spot pattern on all chips, and 3d14 works well.

Good luck.
I was thinking the same thing. I have other colors I like for the 5s so I will be changing those. Thank you!

Those Punisher 100s are sick!
Thanks. I want sure about them at first. Almost went with a light blue and Grey or yellow and green, but ultimately couldn't get away from that.

Good luck.
Of course, if you vary your spot patterns, you get more options on your colors without risking dirty stacks. But, to each their own. I do admire the dedication to a single pattern to unify the set.

Of course, if you vary your spot patterns, you get more options on your colors without risking dirty stacks. But, to each their own. I do admire the dedication to a single pattern to unify the set.
Haha, maybe it's the former Marine in me that just likes everything to be uniform. Or it's the indecisiveness of having too many options!

Have you thought about adding a blue chip with red and white edgespots? if you want to stay on the same theme ;)

I think the theme is to have the work horse chips a variant of red/white/blue....

I think the chips look great. like Allforcharity said above the USMC letters are difficult to distinguish from a distance,....if tinting the white background is not to your liking perhaps a border around the USMC letters with black or something that defines the letters a bit more.... I would also use a different colour than purple in either the $25 or $1000 chips as there are a lot of purple edge spots with the 25/500/1000 all having some variant of purple spots, also the $1000 uses the same spot colour as the base of the 500 in purple which to me blends the chips more than distinguishes them. Otherwise I quite like the idea.

Good Luck Marine

I think the theme is to have the work horse chips a variant of red/white/blue....

I think the chips look great. like Allforcharity said above the USMC letters are difficult to distinguish from a distance,....if tinting the white background is not to your liking perhaps a border around the USMC letters with black or something that defines the letters a bit more.... I would also use a different colour than purple in either the $25 or $1000 chips as there are a lot of purple edge spots with the 25/500/1000 all having some variant of purple spots, also the $1000 uses the same spot colour as the base of the 500 in purple which to me blends the chips more than distinguishes them. Otherwise I quite like the idea.

Good Luck Marine
Great suggestions, thank you. I'll be working on these over the weekend so I'll definitely be changing some of those. I really like the 25 so that will probably stay as is. The 1000 isn't really my favorite, though so that definitely needs to change. Thank you!

Try the $1 chip in light blue with a different red and white spots. :) all in all it’s going to be awesome. Don’t rush it. :)

If I recall, the colors on the Marines logo are red, yellow, and black. Maybe do that for the five?
As for the $25 chip, it may be cliche, but perhaps something that invokes camo? See below.

1622722734388.png

Love the $100 as is.
On the higher denoms, you seem to be repeating gray as a spot color - or something that looks close to it (gray on $100, gray on $500, light blue on $1000). I'd maybe switch out the gray on the $500 for something else and switch out the purple spot on the $1k

Ok, here is the latest iteration of the set. I changed the spot colors on a couple of chips at the recommendations of you guys. I wanted the $1 and $5 to be an homage to America and the Marine Corps, but changed the theme to outdoor.

This is the "Get Out and Play" set:
Detail on Chips 2.png

The chips are basically telling a story:

First you go on a hike to your destination, fish for lunch, cook it at a fire, take a nap in the hammock, setup a tent, play guitar around a fire, then eventually make lots of money and buy an RV. @efdenny really putting in some time on the graphics! He has tweaked and adjusted things many times in just the last 24 hours and I really appreciate it!

Now, what would you guys do differently? I'm not sold on the font of the denominations yet so that will change. Maybe have the denoms on the other side of the chips with a basic clean logo? I'm not sure. Suggestions welcome!

Really like it! Only thing I would change is the font and sizing of the text, which you said you were planning on doing anyway.
I think for this design you can have the denoms on both sides.

Nice work.

sorry, didn't mean to post to the thread... Yeah, I'm still playing around with fonts/colors, specifically the 1k/5k... I outlined the text on those two to help prevent so much bleed... wondering if I should do them all for uniformity.
withchips2.png

Not very noticeable on all... but probably the right thing to do.

View attachment 712288

I like the new design....the $1000 is hard to read "get out and play". Also are there any plans for the large area of real estate below the denomination? a location, or club name, or established in 1900 ext....

Is there a higher resolution of the background image or one that is less faded? the background is somewhat faded from my perspective making the image harder to see on the $100, 500, 1000 and 5000 chips I think the $1000 has kids roasting marshmellows and I can make out a what could be a hammock or canoe on the $100 and a ? RV on the $5000I am not sure, but I have no idea what is happening on the $500 chip looking at the background image at the current resolution.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom