My first custom CPC journey (1 Viewer)

KrisPringle

Sitting Out
Reaction score
I had an idea for a set that I originally posted in the Sports team chipsets thread. Rather than continue to clutter up that thread with my nonsense, I decided to make my own thread to show progress and get feedback from all of you. I originally wanted this to be a small 320 piece cash set that I could fit in a hand-crafted case (inspired by this post). It would have 4 denominations:

100 chips that can be played as either 10 cents or 10 dollars
100 fifty cent chips
100 snappers
20 non denominated chips (could serve as $50s to really boost the bank)

I would buy an extra barrel of each to have as spares and also get me to the minimum order of 400 chips for 4 denoms. This breakdown could easily provide a bank range of $500 - $2,300. It seems like an efficient little set for only 320 chips. However, after ordering my color samples, I've found 5 color combinations that I really like. I just don't know if it makes any sense to have 2 non-denominated chips (not to mention it would be more expensive!) I really want to use DG pink somewhere though. That color just pops right out of the sample stack.

Next step for me I think is to get some inlayed mold sample shuffle stacks. I have been working on inlay design in the meantime. I think I would like to have separate designs on each face. Here is what I have for the fronts so far. I think I've decided against trying to use an official NFL logo. The Viking dude I have there now is just a place holder I stole off the internet.
tailset.png

It is also not lost on me that many of these colors would fit perfectly into a tourney set.

I think I have decided on only using 4 denoms for a cash set. Will use all 5 if I decide to go tourney. Which non denominated chip looks best to y'all? DG pink is non-negotiable XD.
4thchipoptions.png

I think I have decided on only using 4 denoms for a cash set. Will use all 5 if I decide to go tourney. Which non denominated chip looks best to y'all? DG pink is non-negotiable XD.

If the NCV is most likely going to be used at the low end, then the 3A916.
If the NCV is most likely going to be used at the high end, then the 3TA316

I think your denominations are a little strange, but I don’t know how your game plays.. what are the normal stakes, number of players, avg buy in amount?

I think your denominations are a little strange, but I don’t know how your game plays.. what are the normal stakes, number of players, avg buy in amount?
Ok I got this question in the last thread too. It is a fair question. I've been going back and forth on denoms and just spent about an hour and a half typing out response with a bulleted list of pros and cons I could think of for all of the breakdowns I was considering. I guess I should have been typing it in a word document because I accidentally clicked out of the page and lost it all :rolleyes:. Oh well it was a useful exercise anyway.

Anyway here is the meat and potatoes of what I had written:

I was considering 3 breakdowns:
1) tourney with t25 blues, t100 whites, t500 purples, t1000 yellows, and t5000 pinks
2) $1 whites, $5 yellows, non-denominated purples and blues
3) how it is now

Basically I want 100 of each of the 3 main vikings color denominations. Just because I think they will look cool sitting in the case I plan to build for them. See this post I referenced above for my inspiration. I also want to have most of these chips in play. Overall idea of the set is to have it be small and flexible. Something I can either take to or leave at our lake house in Minnesota, where I'd be playing with 5-8 relatives and close friends. Low stakes, probably buy ins between $20 and $100.

Option 1: I think I have decided against tourney simply because I would have to buy so many more chips to unlock the amount of denominations I would require. I do want to have a custom tourney set eventually though. I just don't play tourney very often.

Option 2: Maybe this is the one you would suggest? The color progression makes more sense and I do like the idea of a purple frac. Biggest advantage I found to this breakdown would be 25c / 25c stakes. It would provide 21ish 200BB buy-ins, but going to 25c/50c stakes doesn't increase the bank at all and therefore halves the amount of BBs. I've also heard of people using the $1s as dimes, the $5s as half dollars, and the $25s as a snapper for a 10c / 20c game, which is just option 3 but with the denoms being all screwed up. I guess the final and most important point to make here is that I already have a larger cash set with a more standard breakdown. I probably will not be playing 1/2 or above with this set.

Option 3: I just like the uniqueness of the breakdowns. Building a custom set is a good opportunity to do something different. While I was writing out my previous response I did come to the conclusion that I should probably have 2 full barrels of blues because 1 barrel only gave 12 buy-ins of 200BB for a 10c / 20c game. This breakdown has twice the big blinds for 0.50 BBs than option 2.

Conclusion: I still like my denominations but should change the breakdown to 100/100/100/40
The extra barrel of blues will take my 10c/20c game from a bank of 2550BBs to 3550BBs.
50c big blinds with this new 100/100/100/40 breakdown yields a bank of $3,300 whereas option 2 with the same breakdown yields a bank of just $1,300 at the same stakes.

I probably could have answered your question with a lot fewer words, but it helped me to write my thoughts down a couple times. Basically I plan on 20c or 50c big blinds. Maybe I'll do some more math later, but I should probably go to bed.

Last edited:
I started a game a little under 2 years ago after a trip to Vegas with the boys.. knew less than nothing about poker. 1st game was $10 buy in with a Walmart set (.05/.10). a week or two later we bumped it to $25, after people were complaining about making peanuts off of a winning night..I bought a set of 1000 tiki kings. a few months later, same deal, bumped it again to $.25/$.50, with people buying in around $100. That’s where the game is at now, with an occasional $.50/$1. I have denominations up to $1000, but the ONLY 3 chips that get played are $.25, $1, and $5. Get those denominations and then maybe a non denomination chip.

@cheque_raise I know the 1, 5 breakdown is the general advice of the forum. And the whites and yellows in my set would be ideal 1s and 5s. If I'm going to spend the money on a custom set it had better be practical, so I may end up coming around in the end.

However: For your usual 50c BB stakes game, my breakdown (Option A) yields a larger bank than the traditional breakdown (Option B) Granted you have to play 50c/50c instead of 25c/50c.

50 cent BBs
Option AOption 2AOption B
Denoms.50/2.5/10/50.50/2.5/10/20.25/1/5/25
Breakdowns100/100/100/40100/100/100/40100/100/100/40
Bank330021001625
BBs660042003250
100 BB buy ins664232.5
200 BB buy ins332116.25
250 BB buy ins26.416.813

Admittedly 50c BBs are where my set peaks. There is no difference between the 2 sets for 20c blinds:

20 cent BBs
Option AOption B
Denoms10c/50c/2.5/1010c/50c/2.5/10
Breakdowns100/100/100/40100/100/100/40
Bank710710
BBs35503550
100 BB buy ins35.535.5
200 BB buy ins17.7517.75
250 BB buy ins14.214.2

A large downside to my set is not being able to play 25c big blinds.

For $1 big blinds, my set falls short of option B (NCV purple instead of 25c purple so it can play as $25 chip in a $1/$1 game without fracs), but option A is much better than having a 25c face value chip and using the blue NCV as $25 (Option B2)

1 dollar BBs
Option AOption BOption B2
Denoms.50/2.5/10/501/5/25/100.25/1/5/25
Breakdowns100/100/100/40100/100/100/40100/100/100/40
Bank330071001625
BBs330071001625
100 BB buy ins337116.25
200 BB buy ins16.535.58.125
250 BB buy ins13.228.46.5

I'm not opposed to the idea of rethinking my denoms. If I did go a different breakdown I think I'd have to leave the purple as NCV. So NCV/1/5/NCV. Locking the purple in as a quarter really limits the $1 BB possibilities

Last edited:
Alright I think I've decided I want 5 denominations? It doesn't really make sense to have 2 NCV colors to me. I want to be able to flex the NCV chip either high or low (so I can have fewer of them), and I want the purple, white, and yellow chips to be the most-used chip. If this is the case it no longer makes sense to have the white ever serve as a 10c chip because I will never have a lower chip than that and I want 100 white chips.

At least if I go the .25/1/5 route I'll still have room to flex a NCV nickel in there.

So I have changed my mind once again. I think I will go .25 purples, $1 whites, $5 yellows, $20 blues? and NCV pink. You can all rest easy now that I've come around. Easily puts the bank over $6,000 (If I ever need that much)

Breakdown of 100/100/100/50/50 with an extra barrel of each to fill up a clean rack of spares and get me to the 500 chip minimum order.

I looked up Cali colors yesterday, but the yellow 5 is all that really fits with the theme. I don't think red belongs here. Main 3 chips will be purple, white, and yellow. Vikings colors are more important to me than being traditional.

I have been putting a lot of thought into this order and have not been making much progress. As far as molds go I'm down between CSQ, DISQR, and Hourglass. I have inlayed sample shuffle stacks of these. I like the inlay on the hourglass the best as the slight recess in the middle of this mold seems to make the inlay become more imbedded than the other two molds. I also like being able to use a larger inlay on the hourglass. I've noticed if the inlay isn't perfectly centered in the DISQR mold it is pretty easy to get a finger nail in there and peel it out. (Granted you have to be trying to peel it out).

For now I am still trying to nail down edge spots and colors. I think the final order will be close to 500 chips after accounting for spares, so I'm very tempted to do 5 denoms. I just don't know if I can get 5 different colors that go with the set. I love the combination of Imperial blue with dg yellow and retro lavender shown above, but I wonder if it really goes with the set? I'm also struggling over the last denom. I love DG pink, but I'm wondering if that is too far off-base from the theme also? I'm about to inundate this thread with a bunch of mock-ups I've been considering. I'd love to hear some feedback.

For sure the lowest 3 denoms are going to be purple, white, and yellow as those are the theme colors. I like the imperial blue and dg pink chips because they don't create any dirty stack issues, but I just don't know if they "go with the set." Thoughts?
pinkhundo.png

@cheque_raise suggested a cali set. At first I didn't see how to incorporate a blue $1 / red frac. I was also turned off by the idea of a white 100, seeing as how I want the white to be a lower denom chip since it is a main color in the theme. Here is a set using the white as a non-denominated frac that could potentially flex as a $100 chip (though I doubt this set will ever be used to play those stakes.) Blurple is half-blue, so maybe it could be a $1 in a cali set. I am slightly concerned about using blurple and black bases in the same set because they are pretty similar, but I think there is enough difference in the edge spots that it wouldn't be a problem?
cali set.png

I have also been thinking about using a brown $20. At least brown is the color of a football, so it might work? As a stand alone chip I prefer the imperial blue, but maybe this works better as a set? Still concerned about dirty stacks with black/blurple.
brown 20.png

I have also been thinking about using a brown $20. At least brown is the color of a football, so it might work? As a stand alone chip I prefer the imperial blue, but maybe this works better as a set? Still concerned about dirty stacks with black/blurple. View attachment 731944

I love this iteration. Though have you considered purple fives, and yellow NCV. This would make it less Cali colored.

I like the tan 20s too.

Great theme. #skol.

And fwiw. You can check my signature. My customs are Minnesota themed and use the 0.10/0.50/1/5 breakdown.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom