My First CPC Set (1 Viewer)

tallsbutler

Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All—I thought I'd share some pr0n of the set I've been working on for the last few months.

I fell in love with Poker and chips in high school. My basketball team used to travel around the West for tournaments and we used to play poker on our trips. Then, it got me wondering about nicer chips, cards, etc. Had a decent set of ceramic chips in high school from a Chiptalk group buy after I learned that there were chips out there other than dice chips. But, that was about as nice as it got. I remember always drooling over everyone's custom ASM sets and always thought I would get one when I was older.

Fast forward to today... I have some new family and friends that I play cards with and so I decided to once again look into some nicer chips. Found that Chiptalk was dead, and then made my way over here. After lurking in the classifieds for awhile I decided to approach @bostonjoe617 about his "Sandpiper" ASM chips. I liked these for a few reasons:

1. They have a very clean, "timeless", almost "vintage" look to them. Which is very much my style.
2. It was a significantly less expensive way to get a full set as a "stepping stone" to one day doing customs.

So, Joe made me a good deal and I took them. Below is what he sent me.

Breakdown:
76 x Gray 50c (hotstamped)
290 x $1
410 x $5
50 x $25

826 Chips total
s-l1600-jpg.139052

So, next step for me was to add a quarter, and see if I could reasonable even out a rack of the gray 50c chips. I ended up picking up 40 blank gray chips from Spinettis to help finish the rack of 50c chips, although not hot stamped. Doesn't bother me much... I'm not sure when I'll really use the 50c chips, but its nice to have a full rack :)

Next, was adding a quarter. I worked with @Gear to get some HH mold pink chips with a matching label. We mostly play .25/.25 or .25/.50 so I really wanted a quarter that matched the set well.
IMG_0389.jpg

Finally, I oiled them up just before Thanksgiving and had a few really fun games over the break with family and friends. We played a little .25/.25 NLHE and some Open Face Chinese for .25/point. Lots of fun.

New Breakdown:
120 x 25c
110 x 50c (hotstamped)
290 x $1
410 x $5
50 x $25

980 Chips total

Anyway, here is some pr0n of the oiled up, added to, and finished (for now) set. Enjoy!
IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 693
  • IMG_0386.jpg
    IMG_0386.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0387.jpg
    IMG_0387.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 108
Thanks! I agree. It may not be the flashiest, but it’s mine, and I’m really happy with it.

Thanks for the kind words, folks.
I really really like your set. Especially the quarter you recently made!

Great choice of the Horsehead Mold too!

Love the quarter additions..I really miss this set..I missed it as I was packing it up haha but I'm really happy to see that it went to someone who appreciates them..remember me like I said if your ever going to get rid of them.give them a hug for me and let them know I'm thinking about them hahaha

Love the quarter additions..I really miss this set..I missed it as I was packing it up haha but I'm really happy to see that it went to someone who appreciates them..remember me like I said if your ever going to get rid of them.give them a hug for me and let them know I'm thinking about them hahaha
:)

Well done. I enjoyed your photos and the background story. That's a keeper set with a great breakdown & great flexibility.

It may not be the flashiest, but it’s mine, and I’m really happy with it.
It was a significantly less expensive way to get a full set as a "stepping stone" to one day doing customs.
^^ This x2. I felt the same way when I pieced together a Paulson solids tournament set - not flashy, but less expensive than customs. I had the customs bug once, but I think I lost it when I found enjoyment piecing together some sets from some used Paulson chips.

p.s. This set is future-proof, if you ever end up playing higher stakes, like $1/2 NL, or even $0.25/0.50 with a larger buy-in -- plenty of $5s which is great, and you technically even have some ability to add on some bank -- assuming you can find some other HH chips to work as $100s for Gear to work his magic.

Thanks, @AWenger! I appreciate it!

p.s. This set is future-proof.....

you can find some other HH chips to work as $100s for Gear to work his magic.

Totally agree! That’s one of the things that was so appealing to me about picking this up and then adding to it! I actually already have some hundos in the works :)

And, I agree with what you’re saying about the custom bug going away a little bit after piecing a set together. I actually think the “piecing” is really enjoyable. I’ve actually already started another little project. We’ll see how it goes :D

These look amazing - the bold, traditional color palette, clean inlay design, and classic spot patterns give the set a timeless look that I love. Nice work and congrats!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom